• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best budget maintenance for new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best budget maintenance for new car

Hey everyone. Circumstances have forced me into getting a new daily driver. Should anything be done right after picking it up? (I pick it up Wednesday or Thursday next week) Due to not having any sort of covered or enclosed structure to keep the new car in, with winter coming, what is the best way to maintain the car to keep it looking nice (I'm slightly south of Cleveland)? The only times I've been through a winter is with a car that either already looked bad, or I didn't worry if it started looking worse. Thanks!

Re: Best budget maintenance for new car

Congrats on the new car. You will have to judge the condition of the paint. Check to see if it needs to be clayed. Polishing is completely up to you. If you are satisfied with the look then use a sealant like ultimate wax, NXT or paint protect. These will out last a carnauba wax. Paint protect is supposed to last 1 year. Ultimate wax is around 6 months.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Depends on what your "Budget" is for maintenance of the vehicle

How much are you willing to spend to protect this vehicle form the elements?

Comment

I don't have an exact figure since getting this has come as a surprise and shot what savings I had. As I re-balance myself going forward I'm not afraid to spend money to maintain a new car. But that being said, I still have other responsibilities that may need to come first. So as a general rule, I'm looking for the "Best bank for the buck" mentality. My main worry is no protection at all (not even a car port )when the snow stars coming down.

Comment

Meguiars offers many products to suit every need. For me, the best way to go is to start with "entry level" product line up.

My idea (I'm no expert in the prices here) for the "budget" maintenance is:

1. Deep Crystal Car wash
          2. Clay kit-Maybe pricey at first, but this is a must and with proper paint care, you might not need to use it again for a relatively long time
          3. The orginal consumer megs cleaner wax-the best compromise, cleans, polishes and gives decent protection at a great price
          4. The quik detailer and quik wax (the ones in maroon sprayers)-for light dust removal recharging the wax previously applied.

There will be more inputs/ideas here, but I think this can be a good starting point.

Hope this helps!

Comment

But I'd personally replace the Cleaner Wax with the new(ish) White Wax. It's not expensive and it's superior in every way (except the smell) IMO.
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Are you looking for long term protection?
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

It would be nice to get a coat of Ult Wax or 365 Wax on top of the White Wax, Cleaner/Wax, etc if possible.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Long term would be best, but with the new car in the drive, I've since made every Saturday morning "car day" (we will see just how long that holds up when snow starts falling). I have several Meguiars Products already including Ultimate Wax, Last Touch (got a big bottle of this if I remember right), and several others, assuming it being in the basement hasn't hurt it over last years winter. In my case, I'm looking for easy & quick. Since my move from L.A. I have a lot more on my plate than I used to. Also as per my other thread, shown here, I no longer have access to a hose, which means a normal 2 bucket wash & rinse is out, I don't have anywhere near enough microfiber towels to try a single bucket, and I haven't priced the rinse-less wash yet (or fully researched the technique). I suppose you could say I'm worried about the fact that I'm in a completely new situation that I'm not prepared for. I know that the single best thing I can do for my car is to start maintaining it right now, and build up a good habit, so that is what I want to do. Ideally, I want this car to look as good in 10 years as it does now. As a part of that, is there any special habits (good OR bad) that I need to watch out for in regards to snow/ice? What about my snow brush to get the snow off the car? That's the most obvious one that I can think of, but it's been years since I've lived in snow, and I didn't care about my car's looks then. Sorry that I seem to be a bit scattered, this is my very first fully brand new car purchase, so I'm a little anxious. I know I'll make some mistakes, but I want to know as much as I can so I minimize those mistakes, and take good care of this car, under the hood, as well as ascetically. Thanks!

Comment

Long term would be best, but with the new car in the drive, I've since made every Saturday morning "car day" (we will see just how long that holds up when snow starts falling). I have several Meguiars Products already including Ultimate Wax, Last Touch (got a big bottle of this if I remember right), and several others, assuming it being in the basement hasn't hurt it over last years winter. In my case, I'm looking for easy & quick.
                    Doing something like
                    Wash
                    Clay as needed
                    a cleaner/wax, like ColorX, White Wax
                    Ult. Wax

is a great quick detail, and Ult. Quick Wax can be used after future washes to maintain things.

As a part of that, is there any special habits (good OR bad) that I need to watch out for in regards to snow/ice? What about my snow brush to get the snow off the car?
                    I use a brush, but just leave a skim coat of snow behind, dont touch the paint with the bristles.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');