• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D300 Correction Compound and MF Cutting Pad Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D300 Correction Compound and MF Cutting Pad Question

When using D300 correction compound and the MF cutting pad, should the entire vehicle be done or can specific defects be addressed?

If specific defects can be addressed, can only the defect area be touched or does the whole panel need to be worked?

For example, I debadged my Honda Element. I removed the glue, but there is an outline of the badges; which has a raised edge. I plan to use compound correction, but wasn't sure if I can address only the badge outline area, the whole panel, or the whole vehicle.

Likewise, there is a scratch on the front fender that is about 3mm long. It doesn't seem to be too deep. You can't feel the scratch with a light pass. Only with pressure can it be felt.

Can I compound only the scratch or should the whole fender be done or the whole car?

Thanks,
    jmac

Re: D300 Correction Compound and MF Cutting Pad Question

You can work on as little or as much as you want depending on your needs. Even when working on a whole vehicle you don't want to work beyond a 2x2 foot section at one time. That way you can remove any excess product before it drys, check your progress and clean/reload your pad as you move along.
    Black on Black - 2007 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4x4
    Personalized Detailing

Comment

You may want to start with a less aggressive product first. I did a similar process on my '07 Buick DD recently. Here's a pic after the lettering was removed and wiped with mineral spirits:

I started with Blackfire Total Polish and Seal on a Meguiar's yellow pad and it did just fine:

If the TPS didn't work, next up was gonna be Meguiar's D151 or Ultimate Compound. Since the rest of the car was decently polished, I just did the areas I disturbed to the nearest panel break. Using D300 and a cutting pad will likely require a second step to clear up the haze, while a milder pad/compound combo might be wax-ready after one step.

For your scratch, just do the damaged area, then give it a good inspection to see if you need to blend further.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by jmac View Post
        When using D300 correction compound and the MF cutting pad, should the entire vehicle be done or can specific defects be addressed?

If specific defects can be addressed, can only the defect area be touched or does the whole panel need to be worked?

For example, I debadged my Honda Element. I removed the glue, but there is an outline of the badges; which has a raised edge. I plan to use compound correction, but wasn't sure if I can address only the badge outline area, the whole panel, or the whole vehicle.

Likewise, there is a scratch on the front fender that is about 3mm long. It doesn't seem to be too deep. You can't feel the scratch with a light pass. Only with pressure can it be felt.

Can I compound only the scratch or should the whole fender be done or the whole car?

Thanks,
        jmac
        You are referring to spot correcting. You can certainly do that. There is no reason to do the entire vehicle if you are only focusing on one area that requires a little more work.

This is a good video. Pay attention at the very end when Larry is describing his process.

99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');