• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many times can you DA a factory clear coat before it's rubbed off ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many times can you DA a factory clear coat before it's rubbed off ?

How many times can you DA polish your clear coat before it's all used up and buffed off ?

Re: How many times can you DA a factory clear coat before it's rubbed off ?

It is all relative. How long is a piece of string? If you use UC every day for a year, you might eventually buff it off. Once or twice a year, and the clearcoat will last the life of the car. Of course if you use your DA with a 100 grit sanding disk, one or two passes might take it off. I wouldn't worry about it

Comment

It's not relative. There is a general amount of times before the clear coat is gone. Basic math. How many mm's does one typical polishing job take off. How many mm's is the typical clear coat? Divide.

Comment

I think what Blueline meant is "it depends".

There are so many variables involved...
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

What product(s)?
          What pad?
          What machine?
          What speed?
          How much pressure?
          Arm speed?
          How thick / thin is your particular paint?
          How hard / soft is your particular paint?
          etc etc
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
            I think what Blueline meant is "it depends".

There are so many variables involved...
            Yes, that would work, and thank you.
            And to MaintenanceFrist....it IS relative..(check "yer" dictionary). to all of the variables dave g-force stated.

Relative to speed
            Relative to machine
            and so on.

Comment

I agree there are too many variables.

Check this thread out. I think it's sort of an eye opener and should ease your concern.

99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

A rotary and wool pad with a heavy polish or compound will remove 4 microns usually

Microfibre and da can remove more sometimes
                average clearcoat thickness is 50 to 75 microns.

Typical Aussie car is 120 to 140 microns total. Get down below 75 and your pushing your luck big time

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');