• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Film on Exterior Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film on Exterior Windshield

I have a 2015 Subaru Forester. There seems to be some type of dappled "film" (by "dappled", I mean it looks like a lot of thumbnail-sized densely-placed dried-on water spots covering the area) on the exterior windshield mostly on the driver's side. Here are the specifics: (1) This is visible, and a problem, only at night (2) when it is raining and (3) when an approaching car's headlights or an overhead street light's beam reflects on it. Under these circumstances, , my visibility basically goes down to zero for the second or two it takes for the light source to move by. (But, when you are doing 55 mph, a second or two is a lot of time and covers a lot of distance.)

I have thoroughly washed the windshield repeatedly with Windex to no avail (but it sure does sparkle during the day and when it is sunny! It is seriously crystal-clear.) I took the car to the dealer yesterday (during the day, of course) and they (of course) could not duplicate the conditions (night, raining) although they did try for over an hour, to see what I am talking about. They checked the wipers, too. (Only 5400 miles on the car.) They said they could detect no visibility problem, and the wipers are in perfect condition, so--- there ya go--- there is no problem.

This did not help me, as I was driving home that evening in the rain and going into the "white-out" situation every time a car approached or I went under a streetlight.

One more piece to the puzzle: The passenger wiper leaves a distinct line where it ends its counter-clockwise sweep. On the passenger side, the windshield is not perfect, but much clearer. On the other side of that distinct "end" line, the driver's side wiper's area has the extreme dappled film that I am talking about, the one that reflects the light and destroys the visibility. Additionally, water droplets bead up differently in the passenger side blade field than in the driver's side field.

And, by "film" I mean it "looks" like a film. But with how much I have washed this windshield, it is hard to believe anything survived. Today I am going to try alcohol (as a solvent on the windshield... but I might just have some wine if this situation persists!) and then wait for it to rain again at night so I can see if it helped.

Anyone else ever have this problem and can help me solve it?

Re: Film on Exterior Windshield

Whenever I have a new car, or clean someone else's, there always seems to be a film on glass to get rid of.

I usually do:
    1. Wash or clean the glass
    2. Clay
    3. Ult. Compound
    4. Glass Cleaner (I use the Meguiars brands, but others work too)
    5. RainX - This could end up being similar to your alcohol idea, so maybe either one.
    6. Second coat of RainX

When my car was new, I basically had to do that twice (like once right away, and once a week or so later), and seemed to be good ever after with just regular cleaning, occaissional clay, and RainX.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for your reply. It gives me hope! But, what is "clay" and "Ult. Compound"?

Comment

Thanks again! I'll give it a try and see what happens. Wouldn't it be nice if the car dealership prepped your new car by doing things like this? But what do you expect for $25-30,000?

Comment

Good video to watch. It sounds like you don't have a DA but you can still use ultimate compound by hand.

99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Great demonstration. Thanks. Ummm... is a DA that power tool he used? If so, you are right. I do not have one of those.

Does anyone have any idea as to why the "film" problem is terrible under the driver's side wiper, but not so much under the passenger side wiper? I was wondering if there is some type of adjustment on the wiper arm that is maybe off on the driver's side or something like that.

Comment

I dunno... unless it is something with the wiper.... ***** to spend more money, but could try to upgrade the wipers... I have had good luck with RainX (not the ones that 'leave' RainX behind) and Bosch brands that are those single bar style wipers.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

You are correct that tool he is using is a dual action polisher.

Murr gave a good step by step guide on which products to use. The video goes a little deeper but the concept it the same other than the razor blade he is using. Start off with what Murr posted and go from there.

I would clean the blades with glass cleaner as Larry shows in the video.

Hard to say why one side is worse than the other. Surface contamination can sometimes be unpredictable.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  I dunno... unless it is something with the wiper.... ***** to spend more money, but could try to upgrade the wipers... I have had good luck with RainX (not the ones that 'leave' RainX behind) and Bosch brands that are those single bar style wipers.
                  Yes, I was thinking about changing out the wipers, too. I'll try the cleaning tips and then add in that, if needed.

Comment

I've noticed on new windshields they have a coating on them that is less than ideal. I hit the glass with something like Ultimate Compound first to get rid of the coating that the MFG leaves on the glass. Followed up be cleaning the glass and then a good glass sealant or ceramic coating.

Comment

I had this issue on my 2014 Lexus RX350. Looked like someone applied a protectant unevenly. I tried several glass cleaners and finally had to resort to #205 with a polishing pad on my PC. I hate to suggest anything too abrasive as there may be a permanent factory coating on the glass to repel water. I tried the least abrasive approach until I got the results I wanted. Be sure to tape off the trim if you use this approach to protect the trim and maybe cover the paint to avoid any splatter.
                      Jim
                      My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
                        I had this issue on my 2014 Lexus RX350. Looked like someone applied a protectant unevenly. I tried several glass cleaners and finally had to resort to #205 with a polishing pad on my PC. I hate to suggest anything too abrasive as there may be a permanent factory coating on the glass to repel water. I tried the least abrasive approach until I got the results I wanted. Be sure to tape off the trim if you use this approach to protect the trim and maybe cover the paint to avoid any splatter.
                        Glass is VERY hard. It takes cerium oxide to polish the glass itself. M205 wouldn't even put a dent in it. I'd skip straight to M105/M100 if I was trying to remove a factory coating from glass.

Comment

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
                          Glass is VERY hard. It takes cerium oxide to polish the glass itself. M205 wouldn't even put a dent in it. I'd skip straight to M105/M100 if I was trying to remove a factory coating from glass.
                          What does M205, M105, and M100 refer to?

Can you tell that this is the first time I have ever had to handle a car problem myself? Up until recently, either the dealer or my local shop has been able to take care of any problem I come in with. But, due to incompetence added to the current attitude of "whatever", that is not the case anymore. The service rep at the dealer actually told me that this glare-problem might be due to the design of the windshield! Subaru designed a windshield that puts the driver in white-out conditions if it is raining and another car is approaching? It's amazing what these guys will tell a woman!

Comment

Originally posted by Anne2 View Post
                            What does M205, M105, and M100 refer to?

Can you tell that this is the first time I have ever had to handle a car problem myself? Up until recently, either the dealer or my local shop has been able to take care of any problem I come in with. But, due to incompetence added to the current attitude of "whatever", that is not the case anymore. The service rep at the dealer actually told me that this glare-problem might be due to the design of the windshield! Subaru designed a windshield that puts the driver in white-out conditions if it is raining and another car is approaching? It's amazing what these guys will tell a woman!
                            M205, M105, M100 are all various polishes and compounds made by Meguiars.

The consumer version of these that can be purchased at say Walmart or an autoparts store are Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish.
                            I suggest giving some Ultimate compound a try on the windshield. Make sure you wipe it off afterwards and then clean it with some glass cleaner and a clean towel.

I'd also suggest putting something like Rain-X on it as well. You'll need your wipers much less as the water will roll off the windshield at about 45 MPH.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');