• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Film on Exterior Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Film on Exterior Windshield

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
    M205, M105, M100 are all various polishes and compounds made by Meguiars.

The consumer version of these that can be purchased at say Walmart or an autoparts store are Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish.
    I suggest giving some Ultimate compound a try on the windshield. Make sure you wipe it off afterwards and then clean it with some glass cleaner and a clean towel.

I'd also suggest putting something like Rain-X on it as well. You'll need your wipers much less as the water will roll off the windshield at about 45 MPH.
    Yes, I have used RainX for years. I was hesitant to put it on this windshield until I get off whatever is on it because I did not want to further "seal" whatever it is on the windshield. I will try more of the suggestions given (including replacing the Subaru blades--- with only 5400 miles on them--- with Bosch blades.) Hopefully, something will work and I can get the RainX on before worse weather hits. (By the way, would the RainX seal the film on, or would it actually help clean it since it has alcohol in it?)

Comment

Originally posted by Anne2 View Post
      Yes, I have used RainX for years. I was hesitant to put it on this windshield until I get off whatever is on it because I did not want to further "seal" whatever it is on the windshield. I will try more of the suggestions given (including replacing the Subaru blades--- with only 5400 miles on them--- with Bosch blades.) Hopefully, something will work and I can get the RainX on before worse weather hits. (By the way, would the RainX seal the film on, or would it actually help clean it since it has alcohol in it?)
      Well, this is why I suggested using some Ultimate Compound prior to using rain-x. The abrasives in Ultimate Compound should remove the film that is on the windshield without hurting the glass itself.

Comment

I would go ahead and use clay followed by ultimate compound. I would follow up with some glass cleaner to clean up any compound residue that may be left. Finally a coat of rainx. Similar process to that video I posted other than you not having a tool. It will take some elbow grease by hand but it can be done.

New blades will help. They should be changed out routinely. It helps to clean them regularly as well just like in the video.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

I have one thought about the film on your windshield. For a longer time than I care to admit I had a film on my car's windows that I could not remove no matter how many times I cleaned it. Finally I came to the conclusion that it was the glass cleaner itself that I was using. I switched glass cleaner and the problem vanished instantly. Maybe try this simple step first before taking more drastic measures. Also don't forget that it might be something on the towels you are using.

Comment

I just re-read your post. You are using Windex. That was the window cleaner that caused me endless grief. Get a different window cleaner NOW. I promise you will get better results. I suggest Stoner Invisible Glass, but I'm sure the good folks here can make other good suggestions as well. Stop using Windex and I promise you will get better results.

Comment

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
              Well, this is why I suggested using some Ultimate Compound prior to using rain-x. The abrasives in Ultimate Compound should remove the film that is on the windshield without hurting the glass itself.
              Thanks! I will give that a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Dave View Post
                I just re-read your post. You are using Windex. That was the window cleaner that caused me endless grief. Get a different window cleaner NOW. I promise you will get better results. I suggest Stoner Invisible Glass, but I'm sure the good folks here can make other good suggestions as well. Stop using Windex and I promise you will get better results.
                After all the Windex, I tried Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Cleaner (which had another type of solvent). Now I am awaiting the conditions I need (night, raining light to moderate, cars coming at me) to see if it made any difference. I also got some ArmorAll Auto Glass Cleaner, which does not have ammonia, which I will try next if I have to, and also try the Stoner product, and the recommended Ultimate Compound. What's the solvent in the Stoner's?

Comment

Another thing to try is, "Bartenders Friend."

Make a paste and using an a cotton rag...like the toe end of a white sport sock...scrub hard in circular motion...rinse well.

A product that did a great job was, "No-Touch Auto Glass Stripper" (GS8), but it looks like it is no longer made. Maybe you have a friend that has some squirrelled away (?).

Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');