• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather steering wheel feels "tacky"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather steering wheel feels "tacky"

Used the Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner on all the leather in my car. The seats and door panels look and feel great. The steering wheel however has a "tacky" feel to it. The car is not new to me and the steering wheel may have been treated with something else previously. Could the Gold Class react adversely with other products? Any suggestions to clean the leather before trying again?
    Thanks, Walter

Hey Walter,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

It sounds like something was used on the steering wheel previously. I would use Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner and lightly wipe down the steering wheel and then re-apply the GC Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. Make sure you thoroughly wipe down the wheel with a MF towel after allowing the GC to sit on the steering wheel for a minute or so.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Tim

ps. I moved this to the general Detailing 101 forum.
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Sometimes you just have to buff the leather pretty well. You might try using less conditioner and buffing it afterwards to remove the tacky feel. Also, sometimes cars with leather don't have actual leather on the wheel, so you may want to verify that first. Conditioning fake leather would definitely feel tacky.
      1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
      2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
      1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

OK. I cleaned the steering wheel with Meg all purpose cleaner and the tackyness is gone. The steering wheel now feels dry and rough.
        Regarding the caution about Leather conditioner on vinyl, should I try vinyl conditioner first. If it is vinyl, no problem but if the steering wheel is in fact leather, will vinyl conditioner hurt the leather. Which is the lesser evil?
        I am almost certain it is leather though, the car is a Rolls.
        Thanks to all for your suggestions.
        Walter

Comment

Hi Walter,

I would go ahead and use Meguiar's GC Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. Again, wipe it on, leave sit for a couple of minutes, then wipe thoroughly with a microfiber towel.

Please keep us posted!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');