• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Touchup Paint or Repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touchup Paint or Repair?

Last week a girl backed up into my car (2010 Ford Fusion S) and she filed a claim because her car was much worse. The damage estimate was made for $492. I do have factory touch up paint and do have an attention to detail/patience. I am curious of your guys opinions on whether or not light polishing could remove the faint scratches, and if touch up paint could be used in the 3 areas where the paint has been removed to bare plastic, and then to just keep the check from the insurance company. I plan on only keeping the car another 1-4 years, depending on where I move after graduating college this year/depending on job.

The shop will not re paint the whole bumper. They will just spot prep and spot spray the affected area. Then clear coat the whole bumper. I do have light scratches on the bumper top that butts up to the trunk from luggage and equipment going in and out. I am curious in your guys opinion as well if this minor damage devalues the car from where it already stands in "good" condition versus being in "very good/excellent" condition.

Here are photos of the damage to the car, and a photo of the overall condition of the car: https://goo.gl/photos/K5yYMTv2tDypjFD8A

So, in your guys opinion: have the bumper done professionally by the shop paid for by their insurance, or, use touch up paint and pocket the $492 check?

Thank you,
    Richard

Re: Touchup Paint or Repair?

Nice looking car. I think I would lean towards having a shop do it so you have some recourse if not done right. If you mess up, you'll always see it.

I had a similar issue where some smuck keyed my commuter car when my son borrowed it and parked it over night in the city. I opted to repair the scratch myself with touch up paint but always saw the defect. Should of had it done by a pro.

Stew

Comment

It really depends how much the car means to you, how much an imperfect repair will bother you and how much you need the money.

Personally, I'd just get it repaired professionally.
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Without experience I doubt you'll be happy with your own repair. Plus those other light scratches you mentioned will most likely disappear when they clear the entire bumper. If you need resale value then let the shop do it.

Comment

Well 1st off. Since she hit you, you get to choose which shop and who does the repairs.dont go by her her insurance carrier tells u to go. They have no say in the matter. After all they will send u to the cheapest place and who's to say that shop is trust worthy. So go out and get yourself 3 estimates from 3 DIFFERENT shops YOU CHOOSE. Then I say pick the one you feel most comfortable with. You don't have to go with the cheapest cuz they say that's all they'll pay. And second if you think you can do a descent job and your getting rid of it anyways, I would say give it ago yourself. Biting don't know your skill set. But 1st and foremost, go to a place of YOUR choosing.

Comment

So this is my thinking,
            A. Try to repair it yourself... If your happy with the repair? ... Bank the check....

B If you unhappy with your repair take it to the shop and have them do the repair.....

Comment

An other way to look at it - get the highest check you can get now, polish out as much of it as you can, and potentially have it fixed before you are selling the car....odds are, bumpers do get hit from time to time, so you may even run into a bigger damage...

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');