• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2002 Camaro Z28 with Paint Protect 365

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Camaro Z28 with Paint Protect 365

For those that don't quite remember, I had coated my dad's car as seen in this thread.

Unfortunately while my dad was painting the gates around the house, he got overspray on the car. The car was parked on the street in front of the house. I contacted the coating manufacturer and was told that if a lot of clay lube and little pressure with a few passes, the coating would stay in tact. This was also with a fine grade clay bar. Well the overspray required more work and after claying the coating was compromised. The beading and sheeting was zero to none after washing it. Here's an idea of the overspray.

Prior to starting I had done a test spot a week before and I had to go with a compound to remove any remaining coating as a polish did not completely remove it. I used M100 followed by M205. I did find a high spot that I missed when I coated it. M100 knocked it off. The paint on this car is hard so M100 actually finished LSP ready. It also did not take a lot of passes to remove the coating. Three to four section passes removed it. I'll add all the products at the end that I used.

Started off with some machine cleaning of the tires. Thanks goes to Mike Philips for his article (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ever-used.html)

There were some minor defects. They could have been on the coating and not the paint.

After - This is after 4 passes with M100

I did not take that many before photos as there was not a lot of defects on the car. I have to redo the DP Glass Coating another day. Here are the afters.

Products used:

Wash: Meguiar's D110 Hyperwash

Decon: Clay with Meguiar's D155 Last Touch to remove any tiny amounts of paint overspray

Compound: M100 on a DFC5 Burgundy Foam Pad

Polish: M205 on a DFP5 Yellow Polishing Foam Pad, Menzerna SF4500 DFF5 Black Foam Pad (Hood and fenders only to tret out product sample a friend of mine sent me.)

Tool: MT300

Prep: CarPro Eraser (completely optional)

Protection Meguiar's Paint Protect 365

Tires: Machine Cleaned with Meguiar's D143 at 2:1, Dressed with Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel

Wheels: Polished with Meguiar's Fine Cut Metal Polish, Sealed with Adams Quick Sealant

Some things to comment on. M100 is a great compound. It has an extremely long working time compared to M105. It finished out LSP ready on this hard paint. It still dusts bit not as much as M105. I had more dust as it was somewhat humid this weekend.

Paint Protect does indeed have a darkening effect. Not sure how long that lasts. Very little product is needed with this and I mean very little. Applying it like a coating is the way to go with this one. It allows for better coverage and an easier application. This will also be a durability test of Paint Protect as it will be left alone and untouched with any spray waxes or soaps with waxes etc... We will see how handles the so called El Nino that is supposed to take place her in Southern California.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Re: 2002 Camaro Z28 with Paint Protect 365

I forgot to post this 50/50. Thanks to Kevin Brown for the 2" pads. I did not get to clean them up that well as the smallest pad at the time was 3".

Used M100 > M205 > Menzerna SF4500 > Paint Protect 365

99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Interesting that the coating was compromised just from claying.

I've noticed that the darkening effect from PP365 seems to last a couple weeks. Maybe through two washes.

Comment

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
        Interesting that the coating was compromised just from claying.

I've noticed that the darkening effect from PP365 seems to last a couple weeks. Maybe through two washes.
        Well claying does abrade the surface. Some say it does and other say it doesn't abrade. I definitely saw something after claying as the water just sat on the hood and roof after washing it. I even used CarPro Reset to wash it. The paint didn't quite feel the same in terms of slickness. I asked Barry Theal as this is his coating and I went by his recommendations. I'll coat it again in the future. I just wanted something on the paint that behaves somewhat normally. I have to redo the glass coating. It still looks ok but I want to be sure there is something there for when the rains come.

We shall see if this product lives up to it's claim.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
          Well claying does abrade the surface. Some say it does and other say it doesn't abrade. I definitely saw something after claying as the water just sat on the hood and roof after washing it. I even used CarPro Reset to wash it. The paint didn't quite feel the same in terms of slickness.
          Right, I understand that, but never understood how much claying actually abrades away. This gives me a really good idea of what can actually be remove by claying.

Thanks for posting this info. I've always wondered how abrasive clay really is and this provides some nice perspective.

Comment

Wow, great work Mike! That paint looks like wet glass!

How did you like the Menzerna SF4500 compared to M205?
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks. I used SF4500 to refine the finish after M205. So the hood and fenders actually got a 3 step as did those little triangle pieces. It was a little oily but for the most part it worked out to my liking. Some folks complain about it being difficult to remove but I found it to be relatively easy. Plus I did a wipedown with Eraser to remove any polishing oils. I will be picking up a bottle of the reformulated formula and do the whole car next time. M205 is still my go to polish.

M100 actually finished LSP ready but we all know that a polish just enhances things.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Very pretty color and finish, for a Chevy. Really nice work! I'll stick to loving Mustangs but that looks really good!
                2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment

Do you find the Menzerna Polishes to be "gummy" for lack of a better word?

Comment

Originally posted by GLOCKer View Post
                    Very pretty color and finish, for a Chevy. Really nice work! I'll stick to loving Mustangs but that looks really good!
                    Thanks. I think you are the first person to say the color is pretty

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
                    Do you find the Menzerna Polishes to be "gummy" for lack of a better word?
                    I only used it with a finishing pad. It wasn't gummy per se. But I would say it was on the oily side. I just ordered the new formula SF3800 which has now replaced SF4500. I will see how that compares as soon as I get it in. Other than that this is the only Menz polish I own.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Some very light drizzle passed through the area today.

Car was rinselessed with D114 and sure enough it decided to lightly drizzle lol.

PP365 beading nicely on the paint.

99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Bummer about the paint over spray, but you got it back in shape. I love that color on the Camaro. Always did. I was a unique blue. Didn't see alot around. Well, not around here at least. I had a buddy that had one. Not that nice though.
                        2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
                        2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
                        2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

3 month update. PP365 seems to be holding up nicely. No waxes or spray waxes have been used. Only thing used on it is M34 or Mirror Bright detail spray.

99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                            I only used it with a finishing pad. It wasn't gummy per se. But I would say it was on the oily side. I just ordered the new formula SF3800 which has now replaced SF4500. I will see how that compares as soon as I get it in. Other than that this is the only Menz polish I own.
                            I should send you a sample of FG400 and see what you think.
                            After working with that and SF4000 I was regretting purchasing both. It could have been the paint I was working with, but neither seemed to play nice for me.

Comment

Congrats.... Looks beautiful...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');