• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

higher end cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• higher end cars?

I'm looking to get some higher end cars in for the winter because I can only do on car a day in my heated garage. I have done a Bentley and lots of BMWs this summer. all from word of mouth.

Re: higher end cars?

Great, you must be doing something right!
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

In my area at least, winter work is problematic. Some folks store their cars for the winter or they prefer not to drive on slush covered streets after getting their car detailed. The other side of the coin is the folks who want their car detailed to protect it over the winter.

It it sounds like your reputation may carry you through the lean times, if you have that problem where you live. Good luck and congratulations on breaking into the high end market.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      David

Comment

So far ive compiled a few companies i consider to be "high end" better quality than your dime a dozen mega or stagg. I know some people will say "well all lowers are the same and all milled in the same machine" yeah i know. its like the expensive euro car vs domestic argument, some people will pay more for a high end branding....but please stick to topic.

Noveske
        LWRC
        POF
        Bravo Company
        Larue Tactical
        VLTOR
        Magpul

Feel free to disagree but please explain, and please add any companies that i dont know about. I would describe "high end" as a company that is known for excellent build quality, run by the best people in the industry, that may or may not cost a little bit extra than your standard AR.

Im asking this mostly because i want to build a new AR15 and i want it to have the absolute best (and rare?) components on the market. I would like to keep the lower/upper the same brand, but barrel, stock, etc can be different. I already have a stag that is mostly magpul gear, so i want to go a different route. Really a fan of Noveske and BCM. Larue intrigues me as well, its such a damn hard decision!
        propecia pishop.de

Comment

Guys - in the USA, I've always wondered if everyone is charging a premium for "exotic" or "classic" car detailing ? :
          1) Mercedes
          2) Porsche
          3) BMW
          4) Bentley
          5) Maserati
          6) Corvette
          7) Lamborghini
          8) Ferrari
          9) Range Rover (Ok, that's a stretch....LOL)

You know the owners of these cars are going to be quite difficult to please... so what say yee about pricing over "normal" vehicles ?
          Also, does a black or black metallic car command a premium ?
          2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Comment

Originally posted by syswizard View Post
            Guys - in the USA, I've always wondered if everyone is charging a premium for "exotic" or "classic" car detailing ? ....
            You can't really generalize what "everyone" is doing because there's far too much variation in local market conditions and customer expectations. Successful detailers will dial in their pricing and process to match/exploit local demand.

If your client base is willing to pay extra for "special" vehicles, great for you. But I wouldn't bet the farm on that. Also keep in mind that a suburban soccer team hauler may be far from exotic, but will typically take a lot more work than a two-seat road rocket. You need to make enough to pay for your time.

...You know the owners of these cars are going to be quite difficult to please...
            Judging by the conditions of cars I see in parking lots (in SoCal we regularly see all the marques on your list and more), I wouldn't automatically jump to that conclusion.

As a craftsman detailer, you have the advantage of getting to know your customers' individual expectations.

... does a black or black metallic car command a premium ?
            Again, you need to factor in both your workload and customer expectations. In some cases you may be able to charge for it. In some you may have to absorb it. YMMV.

pc

Comment

Pricing in this business is tricky.....the local competition claims to do all of this for $180 : (I see at least 4 hours of work here......)
              Major Surgery

$180+

• [*=center]Flawless Quality Inspection
                [*=center]Pre-wash Snow Foam
                [*=center]High Quality Shampoo
                [*=center]Double Rinse
                [*=center]Spotless Hand Dry
                [*=center]Invisible Glass Clean
                [*=center]Expert Wheels Service
                [*=center]Door Jam Cleaning
                [*=center]Interior Vacuuming
                [*=center]Rubber Protection Plan
                [*=center]Trim Micro Detailing
                [*=center]Specialty Clay Enhancement
                [*=center]Double Layer Wax
                [*=center]Microfiber Polishing
                [*=center]Synthetic Protection Sealant
                [*=center]Interior Steam Cleaning
                [*=center]Double 100% Brazilian Wax
                [*=center]Interior Shampoo and Conditioner

2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Comment

Any business is about delivering value to the customer.

A craftsman detailer's competitive value typically comes from quality, service, craftsmanship, personal attention and convenience. Do the other guys provide all that to the same level as you?

Or are they selling a laundry list of tasks executed by minimum wage labor at high volume for the lowest cost?

Both are legitimate business models. Each serves a different customer base.

It sounds like your current customers appreciate your services, and enough to tell their friends (which is the highest compliment in any business). If I were in your position, I'd put my effort into marketing my own unique brand of services and pay little attention to what the bottom feeders are up to.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Casablanca.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
                  Or are they selling a laundry list of tasks executed by minimum wage labor at high volume for the lowest cost?
                  My feeling is their website shows deceptive advertising....NO WAY they can offer ALL of those services for that stated cost.
                  NO WAY.
                  Maybe a few of them...but then again, they don't say which.

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
                  pay little attention to what the bottom feeders are up to.
                  This guys are actually tops in the area....and get classics, antiques, and exotics.
                  I know, I've been around their shop to see the cars.

I think what they are doing here is making sure the competition does not easily know EXACTLY what they are charging.
                  I'd have to go in there myself with the Porsche and get the "real low-down" on their pricing.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');