• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building up polishing tools/supplies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building up polishing tools/supplies.

Hi everyone.
    I just started cutting and polishing and am trying to build up my tools and supplies.
    So far i have a rotary buffer along with a pad kit i bought for it.
    It came with a backing plate, 80-120-220 grit paper and a terry cloth like pad. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-po...-pc-69589.html
    I bought it from HF, where I get most of my stuff.
    Im using meguiars UC/UP and m105/205 for different cars.
    My question, what is the terry cloth pad for? cutting scratches out, polishing, or waxing old paint jobs?

I also bought a thick wool buffing pad(backing hook n loop) they sell. I used this pad and it made little cuts on the paint surface. Im thinking its too aggressive for paint that hasn't fully cured. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-1-2-w...ffing-pad.html

I also have a thin fleece bonnet, just has an elastic band and is wrapped around whatever it is put on. which could be used for...?

Another question,
    Harbor freight sells 4 foam pads(hook n loop backing) which I plan to use to cut and polish.
    Yellow-buffing pad http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-...pad-91235.html
    orange-compouond pad http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-co...pad-61530.html
    blue-polishing pad http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-po...pad-61531.html
    black-finishing pad http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-fi...pad-61529.html

So which ones of the colored pads should I be getting for cutting sanding scratches out? yellow or orange? I don't want to make cuts in the paint with the thick wool pad anymore! Both colors say compound/cutting. yellow says buffing pad and orange just says foam pad.

And I should get the blue pad to apply polish after i use either the orange or yellow pad right?
    What wax product is best recommended to use with the black finish pad? Description says use with wax for a swirl free finish, is this pad even needed?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Building up polishing tools/supplies.

I can't comment on the cotton pad or the wool pad. But it sounds like the wool pad is to aggressive and you are getting rotary installed defects (holograms, swirls). I can tell you that those harbor freight foam pads are not the greatest. I would recommend you pick up some good foam pads from a reputable company like Meguiar's or Lake country. You may also want to consider giving the DA a shot with microfiber cutting pads before going to the rotary.

Pep Boys does sell the new foam pads for the rotary. I have seen them there.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Hey serf,

I feel bad saying this since you've already invested in the rotary polisher kit, but that's probably not a good place to start.

I totally agree with The Guz's points above^^^. Definitely get higher quality pads etc if you're going to stay with it though. (Probably avoid wool for now)

You seem like a perfect candidate for the Meguiar's DA Microfiber correction system. If you can get your hands on a DA polisher (Harbor Freight sells them too) just get it and the 5" system and you're in business.

This remommendation is based on the following:

1. Rotary is a very difficult, dangerous, and advanced method which takes years to master. And you are already experiencing this
      2. The DAMF system is basically as effective as rotary at removing defects
      3. The DA Microfiber system is very safe and easy to use, and guarantees no swirls
      4. There is a TON of "how to" out there on how to use it, so that you can learn properly from the get go.

Paint correction can be very confusing, and downright frustrating sometimes, but the DAMF system really takes the frustration out of the equation. It's where I realized my first great polishing success, and has never let me down.

Some good references are: autogeek, go there and watch the 2 YouTube videos they have which star Mike Phillips, Mike Pennington, and Jason Rose. then go check out the auto detailing podcast. He did a 2 part interview with Jason rose and Mike Stoops.

Sorry if if this sounds like an advert. I'm not affiliated with any of these guys, but the system is so good for someone with the situation you describe that I'd feel remiss if I didn't try to help you out.

Comment

Thanks for the reply The Guz! Ok got it. So these foam pads are best

or
        http://www.autogeek.net/hybrid-power-finish-pads.html these are the lake country ones right.
        What brand should I be looking for and pep boys?
        so many brands and many colors of pads.
        Basically what I need is a cutting pad. Polishing pad and finishing pad?
        using a rotary with a MF pad would be best to cut out 2k scratches for a beginner then?

Comment

Thanks for the reply also detailing obsession. Would a 5" polishing kit be better than the 7" kit I bought?
          So you use a DA polisher and and a MF pad when cutting out sanding marks?
          I'll head over to autogeek and watch some of their videos. I've mostly just seen YouTube videos on cutting and polishing.
          Yea bad experience with the wool pad. So I'm trying to switch over to something that cuts but not as aggressively.

Comment

The DA MF system comes in 6", 5", and some 3" pads too. I heard that they really designed the 5" for the majority of 8mm offset DA tools on the market and that the 6" is more geared to machines like the Flex 3401, etc. Personally, I use the 5" on my Rupes 21. As far as cutting ability, there is an extra cut disc available if the regular microfiber cutting disc isn't enough. You will probably have good luck with removing 2000 and finer grit sanding marks. Listen to that podcast though, it's really long, but extremely informative about this system. That, plus those videos on autogeek should really help you make an informed decision about what you want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by DetailingObsession View Post
              The DA MF system comes in 6", 5", and some 3" pads too. I heard that they really designed the 5" for the majority of 8mm offset DA tools on the market and that the 6" is more geared to machines like the Flex 3401, etc. Personally, I use the 5" on my Rupes 21. As far as cutting ability, there is an extra cut disc available if the regular microfiber cutting disc isn't enough. You will probably have good luck with removing 2000 and finer grit sanding marks. Listen to that podcast though, it's really long, but extremely informative about this system. That, plus those videos on autogeek should really help you make an informed decision about what you want to do.
              Thanks, I've also read smaller pads as the 5" are the way to go. but have seen bigger 7"-8" being used in videos. Yea all i need is pads to cut 2k marks out, i rarely use anything lower than the 2k. What podcast are you referring to?

Comment

"The auto detailing podcast" by jimbo balaam. Episodes #33 and 38. It's Jason rose and Mike stoops from Meguiars.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');