• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UP pad recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UP pad recommendation

I'm going to be using ultimate polish on a 2014 truck (metallic tan) with very light swirls. I should say extremely light swirls. It's not bad at all. What pads would you recommend in the lake country brand? And also Megs brand?

And the same question but finishing with ULW?

Re: UP pad recommendation

A test spot with a polishing pad would be my recommendation. For ULW a finishing pad is what you need.

Pick up some of the new Meguiar's thin foam pads. The 5" pads get my recommendation.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Being new to machine polishing (first time ever), can/should I put a 5" pad on a 5" backing plate?

Comment

Yes. Pick up the 5" Meguiar's backing plate as well.

Still a good price

Autopia Car Care is currently having a sale. Perhaps have them price match the price from that link to see if you can get a better deal on the Meguiar's pads.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

I've always loved the yellow megs polishing pads.

My favorite pad is the blue buff and shine / or blue hex logic. It's the pad I use for one step polishing applications, or finishing polishing.

Comment

Thanks, Guz!

Comment

I can see where thin pads would be more efficient. Is there a learning curve vs regular (standard thickness) pads?

I already bought a bunch bunch of LC pads but will also try Megs.

Comment

Nope. Same technique. Just need to be cleaned more often as they load up a little quicker.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Can I use UP a couple times a year without worrying about compromising the CC?

Comment

Sure you can. Maybe even once if you use paint protect.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                      Sure you can. Maybe even once if you use paint protect.
                      Are you talking about the really liquidy red stuff? Megs Paint Protect? I shoulda picked up a bottle- found it locally for $4 a bottle on clearance. Have you had any luck with it?

Comment

Yup. I have it on my dad's car. It seems to be holding up well after a couple months. Treat it like a coating when applying. It makes it easy to apply and remove a thin layer.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by EagleNester View Post
                          Can I use UP a couple times a year without worrying about compromising the CC?
                          You could use Ultimate Polish every week and not make a dent in your clear coat. That's a lot of polishing oil, though, and a little goes a long way. Don't use UP as a correction compound, because it isn't one.
                          Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                          4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                          First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
                            You could use Ultimate Polish every week and not make a dent in your clear coat. That's a lot of polishing oil, though, and a little goes a long way. Don't use UP as a correction compound, because it isn't one.
                            I was under the impression that UP could be used for light scratches and swirls.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleNester View Post
                              I was under the impression that UP could be used for light scratches and swirls.
                              The hardness of the paint plays a factor but yes it can be used to remove light to moderate defects.
                              99 Grand Prix
                              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');