• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eliminating Cigarette Smoke Odor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliminating Cigarette Smoke Odor

Hi, sorry if this has been covered before, but I just joined the forum.

Any recomendations on how to remove/eliminate the smell of cigarette smoke from inside the car?

Re: Eliminating Cigarette Smoke Odor

Originally posted by kobesbus
    Hi, sorry if this has been covered before, but I just joined the forum.

Any recomendations on how to remove/eliminate the smell of cigarette smoke from inside the car?
    Hi kobesbus.......Welcome to MOL

I would start by cleaning the upholstery & carpet....Then the vinyl & glass....I guess the headliner could could use a cleaning too, but I've never had much luck there without causing stains.

It may take a while for the nicotine odor to go away, but Meguiars sells a product to help remove orders.......

I've never used it myself, but others have commented on how good it works.
    Last edited by rusty bumper; Jun 1, 2005, 10:10 AM.
    r. b.

Comment

Thanks for the welocme and the info. Will buy a bottle and try it. Almost anything should help! - but this stuff looks good. Q, why would it leave a stain on the headliner and not on the carpets? My interior is all black.

Comment

Originally posted by kobesbus
        Q, why would it leave a stain on the headliner and not on the carpets? My interior is all black.
        I'm just going by my own experience here, but I was not referring to the odor eliminator causing stains in my headliner.....The stains were caused by different upholstery cleaners that I've tried.

But my headliner is a very light gray too, and that makes it easy to see stains on it.
        Last edited by rusty bumper; Jun 1, 2005, 12:00 PM.
        r. b.

Comment

While the odor eliminator will help to a certain extent, smoke ordor is probably one of the hardest smells to remove. The reason for this is that ash tends to go everywhere, into the A/C system, into the dash, into every little nook and cranny. If you don't remove the source of the odor, you can't really ensure that you have removed the smell itself. Cleaning will go a long ways, but unless you dismantle your interior, the smell will continue to linger. An ozone machine would probably do the best in that situation, but if you don't mind using the odor eliminator regularly, it would help.

Comment

I cleaned up a smokers car once, and I never thought that I would get the inside windows clean. Brown nicotine stained the paper towels over & over again.

Imagine that inside your lungs.
            r. b.

Comment

Yea, I have a 1991 Toyota Corolla, and 226K miles, the 2 owners (my relatives) were all smokers. I dismantled my whole dash and used NXT Protectant and boy did it smell fruity for 2 weeks =) Soon I'm going to take my whole dash all the way to the defroster. For me I get a kick out of cleaning and protecting to make a 16 yr old car brand spanken new. BTW I used the Meguire's Clay on the 16 yr old paint job (white), well lets just say I've only used 3/4 of one of the bars (cut the bar into 4 1/4 pieces) and let just say it just came out of the factory, if you don't look at the rust spots and rock dings =P

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');