Cloudy spot after using PlastX...please help

Thread: Cloudy spot after using PlastX...please help

Registered Member

Cloudy spot after using PlastX...please help

Hi,

I have a 1-2 months old car with clear plastic lenses, which recently developed some very fine scratches on the passenger side.
    As I didn't like how it looked, I wanted to make them go away and get back the clear immaculate look.
    Sometime ago I attended the Meguiar/s weekend shop and knowing that they have some of the best stuff I picked-up a bottle of PlastX at Walmart of which I applied a small drop (nickle - dime size) on a clean microfiber cloth and rubbed it for about 30 seconds or less, just to get an idea on the improvement.
    After cleaning the residue and washing the lens with another clean microfiber cloth I was shocked (and upset) to find a cloudy spot in the area where I applied PlastX. I have a picture, but somehow I can't find the option to add it (the forum interface has the option to insert a picture only from an URL as far as I can see.

The real good news is that I am close to Meguiar's office in Irvine and plan to go there on Monday, but in the meanwhile I hope someone can male could please make me feel better by confirming that it can all be fixed...the new cloudy spot as well as the original fine scratches.

Thanks so much!

Re: Cloudy spot after using PlastX...please help

Plastx has some abrasives in it. You could try using a finer polish to see if it removes the hazing. A polish such as ultimate polish.

I forgot to point out that an abrasive product with microfiber is an aggressive combination unlike using it with a foam applicator. If it was overworked it could also appear cloudy as the product is still there. Did you try going over the area again with plastx again?

Photos will help. You can also use something like photobucket to upload photos.

Registered Member

Here is the link to the headlight picture:

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...pssnxfndlt.png

I did not try PlastX or anything else after the cloudy spot appeared because I was worried not to make things worse.
    The reason for using the microfiber as an applicator was because I thought it would limit introducing additional scratches.

I appreciate your reply, thank you!

Registered Member

Guz is correct- the microfiber applicator probably instilled microfine scratches of its own (resulting in hazing/cloudiness). It wasn't the PlastX that caused the hazing. You should be able to fix this. I'd try a Megs yellow foam pad--- 2-3 very light applications of decreasing pressure each time, making sure you work the product long enough (I believe these are diminishing abrasives).

Another thing that comes to mind after seeing your photo is possibly too much pressure was used.

Thread Information