• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little confused(Ultimate Polish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little confused(Ultimate Polish)

Since I started Megs Ultimate line several years back. I have always read that UP is a PURE polish, and what I thought that meant, is that it only adds some oils to bring the beauty of the paint out, and that it contains NO correcting ability or abrasives in it. And I have always used it with that belief.

But I have been reading a lot of threads and posts that are saying for swirls that aren't bad enough to use UC, you can use UP to correct those finer swirls.

So I am just a little confused as to what it Really can, and cannot do.

Thanks all, and have a Great Tuesday eve!

Ray

Re: A little confused(Ultimate Polish)

UP does have abrasives in it.

What you are referring to as a "pure polish" of having no abrasives would be a glaze. Something like M07.

Comment

A good read. UP is derived from M205. In this photo it would be on the right next to M205.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...t-surprise-you!
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thank you very much guys, maybe this will be all I need for correction on this next car.

Comment

Absolutely, a fantastic product. Capable of some decent minor correction. I use it mostly on a blue Buff and Shine 70 pores per inch pad.

I've also used it with a yellow Rupes microfiber pad, and green Buff and Shine for even more cut. It's easily my most used product.

Comment

It depends on what you mean by "polish". Is "polishing" a process of super-fine abrasion or a soaking of glassy oils?? There's also the difference between "what it says on the tin" and "your mileage". UP is said to have some mild abrasives in it, sure, but that's just it - they're so mild it may as well be a pure polish for many situations. UP can definitely help correct (or coat) minor defects, but whether the pad is doing the abrasive work or the mild abrasives reportedly in UP are, or whether you're just fooled/wowed by the glassy look - it will all vary depending on the paint itself and the technique you use.

I love UP, and it was really my first "payoff" experience with Meg's products. Yet, I now use Detailer D302 mostly, and it's easier for me to think of UP as a white/silver polish, D302 as a yellow/gold polish, because of the shade of the product itself and the cast of finish they leave behind. Maybe there's a "black" polish out there for that impossibly black look.

Anyway, yes, UP is fantastic, but the abrasion of it depends on how much muscle/pad you put into it and what your paint is like.
            Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
            4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
            First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Would White Wax have more correction than UP?

Comment

Originally posted by willowcatfish View Post
                Would White Wax have more correction than UP?
                Yes.

Bill

Comment

White wax having more correction than UP doesn't seem right to me. I thought the White Wax was more of a cleaner wax, the Black Wax had polishing oils in it, thus it has a little correction power. And then the UP would have more correction power over those two wax products...
                  2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment

Let's put it this way, White Wax has the same abrasives that make up M101.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Well, perhaps the same type of abrasives - the same type in nearly all Meg's products that have abrasives - but not the same cutting power as M101 or other true compounds. Still, a cleaner-wax can work wonders. I use Detailer D301 for a monthly re-waxing and it's amazing how well it clarifies and cleans the finish.
                      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');