• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caring for my new black vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caring for my new black vehicle

I just recently got a new black car (2016 BMW 340i). I have been reading through the forums trying to get a good idea of how to clean and detail the car (this is my first black car) and have several questions that I was hoping to get some help with. First, I don't really have any experience with detailing cars, so forgive me if these questions seem silly.

Unfortunately, the car already has a few swirl marks and very very light scratches (only noticeable in direct sunlight). I think these are from a 'drive-thru' car-wash or perhaps the towel that was used to dry the car. I have now learned never to take a black car through the drive-thru car washes that have brushes. So, my goal is to try and get rid of the swirl marks and light scratches (if possible) and also to develop somewhat of a routine to cleaning the exterior of the car.

Based on what I have read thus far, I have came up with the following "plan."

1. Wash the car using Gold Class (2 bucket system with grit guards, and a microfiber mit)
    2. One/two applications of #9. I figured that since the paint is basically brand new and the swirls/scratches are not very bad, this very light polisher/cleaner would be suitable. Otherwise, I would try #80 or #83, I guess? Should I consider ScratchX?
    3. One/two applications of #26 liquid wax. Is there any benefit to using the paste over the liquid?
    4. Maintain between washes with UQD.

I was considering also using a pure polish like #7 after the #9 application. But, since the paint is brand new, I'm not sure if this is necessary? I plan on doing all of this by hand (using the high tech applicator pads). Is this realistic? Should I invest in a DA? If a DA is necessary, could someone please recommend one that doesn't break the bank and is suitable for an amateur? Last but not least, what would you recommend for the tires (cleaning, shining, etc)?

Thanks for all of the help!

Re: Caring for my new black vehicle

Welcome to the site! I think your plan is great. You should enjoy some experimentation to find what suits you, but it sounds like you've got a general approach figured out. I will suggest a "waterless" wash, like Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere, instead of a quick detailer, for daily maintenance and between-wash cleaning. The look of it is very neutral and won't interfere with the M26 Yellow Wax look, as long as you re-wax monthly or so. Also, I'd use Gold Class Quick Wax as well to re-wax between re-waxings
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

In regards to products, I would go with ultimate compound and ultimate polish. These would be all you need for a majority of the time.

In regards to your choice of protection, M26 is a great wax. Liquid or paste is all personal preference. If this is a daily driver you may want to consider a sealant (aka synthetic wax) as they are more durable and last longer than a wax. Ultimate Wax, M21 or NXT would fit in those categories. Ultimate wax will last a little longer than M21 or NXT. M21 is the pro version of NXT. All look great on black but I would give the edge to Ultimate Wax in the look department.

You may want to consider Ultimate Quik Wax as a maintenance product in between washes. It will act as a booster to your existing protection of choice. UQD would work fine but it does not last as long as UQW.

M7 is optional and not really needed if you get something like ultimate polish. M7 is really meant for single stage paints but it works fine on clear coat's as well. It's a pure polish with no correcting ability. It will fill in defects as that is the purpose of a glaze.

Since you plan to do this by hand, I will let you know that one can only do so much by hand. It's tiring and expect to spend many days to get things done. I would definitely consider getting a DA. They are worth the money. A machine will net you better results than doing it by hand. It doesn't matter if the paint is new. New cars come off the lot with DISO (dealer installed swirl option). The test spot with the least aggressive method is the key. Let the paint tell you what it needs. Mike Phillips of Autogeek has some very informative videos on the Autogeek youtube channel.

A DA that doesn't break the bank is the harbor freight polisher. You would just need a better backing plate and better pads. Don't use the harbor freight pads as they tend to be poor quality. The Meguiar's thin foam discs are great as is their backing plate. I would recommend the 5" pads and plate.

For tires I use D143 non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner. It's a great product and can be used on tires and on wheels. If your wheel are OEM D143 will work fine. There are some wheels it is not recommended to be used on. For a tire dressing my personal favorite is D163 Tire & Trim Gel. If you are looking for over the counter products, Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner works well. D143 is similar to this product. The only over the counter tire dressing I have used that I like is ultimate black tire coating. It is not a glossy type product and has a little learning curve to it to get it just right.

DUB wheel cleaner is another good wheel cleaning product. It will not work as a tire cleaner. It is a color changing wheel cleaner. Mirror Bright is the newest line and it has a nice color changing wheel cleaner similar to DUB. These can be used on most wheels.

As with all wheel cleaners, agitation with a brush may or may not be needed. I would recommend adding some type of sealant on the wheels to make your cleaning regiment easier. You will only need to use soap and water if you seal them up. Ultimate Quik Wax works great and can be used after every wash. Or a base layer with a longer lasting sealant (ult. wax, NXT, M21) and maintained with UQW works well. Just reapply the base layer every few months.

Hope these tips help.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

From what I have read the BMW jet black is on the softer side.
        One of the very first things you need is some quality microfibers and a couple waffle weaves. ...otherwise Mike summed it up.
        I have excellent results with Meguiars D114 rinseless washes.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! To clarify, my car is not Jet Black, it's Black Sapphire Metallic.

I'll look into the Harbor DA and watch some videos to try and figure out how to use it.

Comment

I would suggest claying the car too! I was surprised how much **** my car had in the paint when new!
            2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment

Would someone mind linking me to the HF DA? I see several on their website and I'm not quite sure which one I should be looking at.

I'm thinking this one?

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Comment

Da

I guess if you like the idea of keeping your car nice, and happy to work with a DA (being so safe), I wouldn't worry so much on the cost of the DA (overall, you'll likely to use it for years...) I have the Megs 220v2, as the new didn't exist at the time of purchase, but I would surely match that type of a car with at least the new Meg's polisher...
                I would have never thought I would use a machine for waxing a car e.g., but you can't beat the 5-10 min waxing with the thinnest and most equal spreading of wax, thus easy removal too. Of course even doing a 1-2x a year ultimate polish/M205 on a well maintained car will make good use of a machine for years....just my 2c

Comment

Originally posted by LollerAgent View Post
                  Would someone mind linking me to the HF DA? I see several on their website and I'm not quite sure which one I should be looking at.

I'm thinking this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-57...her-69924.html
                  Yes - that is the one. You can often find coupons in their flyers and magazine ads to get another $20 off.

Comment

Re: Da

Originally posted by szladob View Post
                    I guess if you like the idea of keeping your car nice, and happy to work with a DA (being so safe), I wouldn't worry so much on the cost of the DA (overall, you'll likely to use it for years...) I have the Megs 220v2, as the new didn't exist at the time of purchase, but I would surely match that type of a car with at least the new Meg's polisher...
                    I would have never thought I would use a machine for waxing a car e.g., but you can't beat the 5-10 min waxing with the thinnest and most equal spreading of wax, thus easy removal too. Of course even doing a 1-2x a year ultimate polish/M205 on a well maintained car will make good use of a machine for years....just my 2c
                    What makes the $250-$300 Meg's DA so much better than the HF one?

Comment

I haven't had a chance to try the new Meg's polisher (since I already bought the previous one), but easy to find reviews... Seems like a nicely balanced machine, with cool features.. I guess what I was trying to imply, that if your attitude is about trying to get the cheapest possible item that get's the job done, would you really drive a BMW 340i?

Comment

Re: Da

Originally posted by LollerAgent View Post
                        What makes the $250-$300 Meg's DA so much better than the HF one?
                        The ergonomics are much better as is the power with the digital torque management. I am speaking about the MT300.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');