• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M105/M205/M7 vs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish I'M TERRIBLY CONFUSED!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M105/M205/M7 vs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish I'M TERRIBLY CONFUSED!!!!

Hello all. I'm new!!

I just purchased a Porter Cable 7424XP. It’s in the mail…

I have two cars I would like to detail, 2000 Toyota 4-Runner and a 2013 Jetta Sport Wagon. These two cars have different needs. The 4-Runner has several scratches and “desert pin striping” areas, but otherwise the paint is in pretty good condition and shines up well (by hand). The exception is the hood and the roof. The oxidation is probably too far gone to restore, but I’d like to try just for fun. It’s ok if doesn’t clean up as my Plan "A" is to have the hood/roof repainted. The Jetta on the other hand is pretty new still and I’ve taken good care of it. There are some areas that have very slight swirly marks and I’d like to restore those areas with a polish.

I spoke to Techs at Meguiar’s and also the Auto Geeks and came up with the following strategy. I’ll describe that in a second. BUT after I came to this strategy, I keep reading about the Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish and now I am totally confused again.

Basic strategy for the 4-Runner
    Step 1: start with M105 on the entire car. I can dig into the hood and see what happens, but the entire car should be hit with M105. Once the M105 is complete if it does not already POP and look perfect, then go to Step 2… If it does look great, go to Step 3 below.
    Step 2: M205 across the entire car
    Step 3: M7 Show Car across the entire car
    Step 4: Ultimate liquid wax

The strategy for the Jetta is a bit more simple
    Step 1: M7 Show Car
    Step 2: Ultimate liquid wax

Here’s my question to you guys. I’m new to the PC 7424XP. I’m not new to detailing, but just the whole DA thing. In reading about the Ultimate line of products, it seems like the Meguiar's writers have really stepped up their game and make the Ultimate line sound unstoppable. I’m confused as to which products I should use now.

The alternative would be to replace the M105 with the Ultimate Compound and replace the M7 Show Car with the Ultimate Polish and skip the M205 altogether.

Having said all this, I’m kinda thinking that the answer is BOTH. I think my current strategy for the 4-Runner is good (M105/M205/M7) but the Jetta should be Ultimate Polish/Ultimate wax. In this situation, if this is true and you guys agree with this, should I just dump the M7 and use the UP on both cars? My thinking is that the UP would be better at cleaning up the Jetta's very mild swirls than the M7 would.

Why is this so complicated????

HELP!!

Thanks!

Re: M105/M205/M7 vs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish I'M TERRIBLY CONFUSED!!!!

Welcome to MOL.

The ultimate line of products were intended for the consumer. After saying this don't think that it is a lower level product. In my opinion the ultimate line is as close one will get to the professional line with consumer based products. Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish are also made to be more user friendly than the professional products.

Ultimate Compound is derived from M105. It is a great compound and can do some amazing things. Seeing as you are new, I would recommend you start with ultimate compound. M105 has a learning curve to it.

Ultimate Polish is derived from M205. Ultimate Polish is a very good product as well. The difference between both is the UP has more polishing oils and M205 has more correction ability. Both great products and in my opinion both user friendly.

The ultimate line is a good starting point for someone new and getting used to the technique of DA polishing.

M7 has no correction ability. It is a pure polish which is also known as a glaze. It will hide defects. It's also great for older cars that have single sage paint. It's not really needed for modern day clear coats. I would stick with UP or M205 for cars with clear coat.

It is hard to say what process or steps to use on your vehicles. Each car is different and responds differently. Thus everyone recommends the "Test Spot" with the least aggressive method.

By the sound of it, the 4Runner has clear coat failure. If it does, no compounding or polishing will fix that. It can actually make it worse.

Post some photos so we know what you are working with and we can guide you.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: M105/M205/M7 vs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish I'M TERRIBLY CONFUSED!!!!

Hi.
      It does not look like I'm allowed to post attachments. I don't see how to add a photo other than through a link.

So here's the deal. After I posted this initial message, one of the Meguiar's tech support guys (Rick) called me back and we talked it through again. He basically said the same thing you did except he leaned more towards using M105 because he though it was easier to work with and did say it does have a learning curve. Still, his suggestion was to go with M105 and follow that with M205 if its needed at all. In the case of the Jetta he suggested M205 and not bother with the M7 for either car.

I think the bottom line is that the M105/UC are very similar and both might do better given a set of variables.

I think what I'm going to do is try both. I'll get a small container of the M105 and the UC and just do it. I'm sure I'll use both bottles. By the end I'll probably develop my own opinion of each. I am however settled on M205. I think that's for sure.

I'f I can get a way to post pictures, I'd be more than happy to do so.

Thanks!!

Comment

You can add photos to your gallery. They may need to be resized. Or you can use photobucket and post the img link.

Another thing to note is that M105 will have more cut than UC. It has a shorter working time and it will dust more than UC. If M105 is overworked it will turn to concrete on the paint.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Hi The Guz, yes I've read that too about the M105 characteristics.

I managed to get the photos into my gallery, but I don't see a way to get them into this thread!! Update: see the next thread....

You can see the car is really strange. There are areas of pretty good looking paint, then areas of a disaster and then some good old light scratches.

For what it's worth, and I have no idea if this means anything, when I pour water all over the hood, the oxidation completely vanishes and it looks new. If I could rig a water feature to it, I'd be in good shape!! I'm not sure if that has any bearing to hold out hope or not. Just sayin...

Comment

Comment

Definite clear coat failure. No amount of compound or polishing will fix this. Needs a total respray.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for confirming this. Now I won't worry about that surface. It's too bad too, the rest of the car looks pretty good. The clearcoat failed before I got the car and the original own said it started looking funky in 2006 when it was just 6 years old. I guess its fairly common with Toyota's because they don't insulate their hoods very well and the engine heat "cooks" them from below. This is what I've gathered from talking to Body shop folks. Sounds reasonable. Now I notice Toyota's all over the place with crappy looking hoods!!

Wish me luck on the rest of the car!

Thx!!

Comment

Sometimes we have a tendency to over think our product lines.

Obviously, the paint on the Toyota is done, but for future service the Ultimate Line is perfect for you're looking for. With the right pads and technique, you can get a lot of milage from those two products.

I've done many "one step" polishes with Ultimate Polish, and a blue Buff and Shine pad on the PC. Incidentally, that's the same set up that does my finish polishing.

Ultimate Compound is capable of removing severe defects, and is super easy to use. I get the best cut from a green Buff and Shine "polishing" pad. In my experience, I prefer M105 with a rotary buffer. If I'm using the PC, I'd rather use M100.

I keep M100/M205, and UC/UP in stock for sake of flexibility. I want to be prepared when I'm out servicing a vehicle, that I have the right product for the job.

If I was just doing my own cars, UC/UP is all I would bother with.

Comment

So here's an update.

I ended up getting the Porter Cable 7424XP with 3 light cutting pad, 3 light polishing pads, 3 finishing pads and 2 super light wax pads. I was a pretty good kit all-in-all. I also decided to marry it with M105 and M205 products. I came to the conclusion based on the experienced of several of the Meguiar's tech representatives. I think the UC and UP would be fine, but I went with what was suggested at the time.

So far, I have one side of the truck done with M105 and things are going really well. I can't complain. The only concern I have is that getting the 5.5" pad into tight areas is going to be a little bit of a problem especially on the back gate, so, I just ordered a 3" BP and a bunch of 3" pads to go with it. I think this will help a lot when I get to the smaller car I have (Jetta Sport Wagon).

This forum has been a huge help. I'll post some pics...

Thx!!

Adam

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');