• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

touch up paint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• touch up paint...

Just looking for thoughts. See if any other ideas...

Am applying touch up to a few chips.
    At what point would you apply the touch up paint?
    Using something like swirl x, or 201.
    Make sure the spot is clean so the paint will adhere?
    Amount of time to cure?
    Am sure waxing or sealer polish after the touch up applied.

Re: touch up paint...

Use some rubbing alcohol and wipe the area clean with a lint free cloth. Apply a small dab of paint to the chipped area, let it sit 5 - 10 minutes until dry, re apply as needed. I would wait atleast a week before apply any wax or sealant to that area depending on the quality of paint your using. If the paint has clear mixed in then i would wait, if its cheap touch up paint then it really wont matter. Just wait until its fully dry before apply anything on top.

Comment

I ordered the touch up through the dealer. So I imagine it's pretty good stuff. Waiting on it to come in.

I'm imagining a few light dabs are much better than one heavy one. I thought more in hours to dry on each coat? Maybe a day? Then a week to cure before wax or sealant?
      I'm sure the bottle will have directions? I'll read them.
      Some of these are pretty small. I'm thinking about drawing a circle with something around them. Once the touch up applied. Might not be able to find them all afterward. Thinking of something to draw with that will stay in place for a day or two then wipe off easy?

Comment

One thing just occured to me. I was going to do my compound/polish before the touch up. With good touch up paint. Might I be better off doing the compound polishing after the touch up paint? With a DA polisher. Orange or light blue pad. 205 or 105... Am going to test and see how little will work.

Comment

Do not use the little brush that comes with those dealer touch up tubes. it will just leave a big blob in the chip and on the surrounding paint. Use a tooth pick and put a small bit of paint in the chip. Let it dry and add more as needed until it is level or slightly above it. It is much easier to deal with when compounding.

Comment

I did the touch up today. Geesh.... there are too many tiny chips in that hood.
            I did stumble upon something. I dabbed too much touchup on a small chip. I immediately wiped it off with an inexpensive microfiber towel. I looked down. Couldn't see the chip anymore. It seemed to work real well.
            I must confess. By that time I was getting impatient. Called it an afternoon soon after. There are more tiny chips in it. Got all the larger ones.

Comment

I also would like to know in what order to work.
              My Jaguar XJR 2002 can use some attention to the paint. The general condition is good but it has some chips and scratches.
              - There are some light scratches that I expect will go out with Compound.
              - Then there are some chips that will need some touch up paint (maybe with some filler or putty) - I was planning to also add some clear coat to these spots.
              - On the rear bumper there is a part that will need to be filled and sprayed (color coat & clear coat).

My idea was:
              - Clean the car
              - Use compound on light scratches (to see if they come out).
              - Fill deeper chips, scratches and bumper damage.
              - Apply touch up and spray paint (+ clear coat)
              - Use Compound where needed to remove light scratches from sanding.
              - Use Polish on entire car
              - Use Wax on entire car.

Does this make sense?
              Obviously respecting drying/hardening times etc.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');