• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Situation with D300, M105, M101, & M85 (Two Questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Situation with D300, M105, M101, & M85 (Two Questions)

My selection of compounds at work has been limited to inferior products, and what is left of the Diamond Cut 2.0 M85 gallon that we have. I won't be able to order M105 (or M205) for a couple of months for my shop, so that led me to go buy a gallon of M105 ( and M205) out of my own pocket. I am also looking to move away from having to use a wool pad & high speed buffer for paint correction, and looking to use microfiber pads and a DA more often. I gained from the M100/M101/M105 video that while M101 isn't designed for a DA, it's a good choice to diversify your compounding selection. So I have 2 questions, first is M101 or D300 a better investment/supplement to M105? And will M101 ever be available in gallon sizes in the US? I am going to go out on a limb and guess M101 is a better choice than D300 (considering I need a compound that can remove wet sanding marks easily), but I wanted to get opinions considering M101 A.)Can't be found in Gallons and B.)Isn't exactly on the cheap side. This is important because I am not only doing volume at my regular job (Commercial Dealership Detailing), I am starting my own private detailing business also. So buying in bulk is a big factor. Any feedback appreciated.

Re: Situation with D300, M105, M101, & M85 (Two Questions)

I would try M100 in place of the M101. It should have almost as much cut as the M101 and be easier to use than M105. It should work with a MF pad. D300 with a MF cutting pad is really pretty potent. Have you tried that combination on your own?

Comment

D300 with a DA will indeed remove sanding marks very easily, but I use M101 for serious compounding, particularly on hard paint. Because I LOVE the bluish DAMF look from D300 & D301, I'll follow M101 with a light "pre-polish" of D300 to get the tint of the finish bluer, because M101 is white (but finishes extremely well, ready for wax).

In general, though, I went through this same decision process a while back, and figured I'd just pay the extra $20 and get the maximum cut Meguiar's has to offer, M101, for tough defects like buffer trails, pigtails, etc. On the MF pads with a Porter Cable it's magic, but for many purposes D300 is just as great as well. I never considered M105 because I couldn't see how it would be a big enough improvement over UC, and it has dusting issues. That left M100, which is said to be more aggressive than M105, but just a tick less than M101. For my hard paint, there was just no contest. M101 or wet-sanding, both in some very tough cases
      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by RPPM View Post
        I would try M100 in place of the M101. It should have almost as much cut as the M101 and be easier to use than M105. It should work with a MF pad. D300 with a MF cutting pad is really pretty potent. Have you tried that combination on your own?
        M100 would be another good option to consider.

M100/M101/M105/D300 can all be used on foam, microfiber and on a DA.

D300 was designed in conjunction with the microfiber system. It cuts well and has little to no dust. As RPPM stated it D300 on a microfiber cutting pad is a great combo. D300 has a little less cut than the other compounds.

M105 has been a staple for along time. It has a short working time but it is meant to correct/work fast. It can also be used with a microfiber cutting pad. It will dust more than D300.

M101 was designed to be used overseas. People wanted it sold here in the states and it now is. It offers the same cut level as M105. It does have a longer working time than M105. It to will dust when using it with a microfiber cutting pad. There are no larger sizes other than the 32 oz. This may not be what you are looking for as part of your business.

M100 although was designed to be used with a rotary, it does work with a DA. It has a similar cut level as M105 and M101. Like M101, it has a longer working time than M105. It will dust when using it with a microfiber cutting pad. It can remove some sever defects on microfiber. This may be an alternative to what you are looking for.

I have used all of these and I find D300 and M100 to be the two that I use the most.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feed back so far. I have yet to put D300 or M100/M101 to the test, so I am just going on what I find out from reviews etc. The Meguiars Video on M100/M101/M105 was informative on their origins/intended usage but it doesn't really help in the world of using the compounds outside of their "designed use" (and it doesn't touch on D300). While I am all for having options, right now $$$ doesn't allow for buying D300, M100, & M101 (even tough I did find M101 Gallons across the pond for $156.26 before shipping). So many varying opinions/experiences across the board it's similar of going in a circle at times.

Comment

Seeing as you purchased M105 perhaps consider getting a small bottle of D300 and then you can decide of you want to invest in the larger bottle. Once you understand the technique with M105 I am sure you will enjoy using it.

This is a good write up discussing the capabilities of D300 on a microfiber cutting pad.

99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by DRaider90 View Post
              Thanks everyone for the feed back so far. I have yet to put D300 or M100/M101 to the test, so I am just going on what I find out from reviews etc. The Meguiars Video on M100/M101/M105 was informative on their origins/intended usage but it doesn't really help in the world of using the compounds outside of their "designed use" (and it doesn't touch on D300). While I am all for having options, right now $$$ doesn't allow for buying D300, M100, & M101 (even tough I did find M101 Gallons across the pond for $156.26 before shipping). So many varying opinions/experiences across the board it's similar of going in a circle at times.
              Yes, there are lots of opinions on sites like this, and it's frustrating. The non-vendor pro-detailer videos are very helpful (some of them post here), so look for those. There's a side-by-side comparison M101 video out there that makes it very clear.

Thus, I didn't think M105 was the answer, because it wouldn't be different enough from the Ultimate Compound based on it. M105/UC will be slightly more aggressive than D300, but won't finish as well. I've spent many, many hours with D300 and with UC finding they were just not aggressive enough, and so for me there was no point whatsoever in trying M105. I don't care how popular it is if it would have been the same as UC, with added dust. Even if it were more aggressive than UC, it wouldn't be by much, and I wanted a lot - a full step below UC, if you will.

Between M100 and M101, M101 is widely thought to be the more aggressive, and the most aggressive product Meguiar's makes. It was designed for foam, and foam is weak, so when used on non-foam it becomes more aggressive (use it on foam for softer paints or lighter compounding). You can feel the grit in the M101 that won't be there in M105/UC, and it cuts far better and finishes very well, ready for wax, if you like. If you're on a tight budget, I'm sure M100 would be at least similar, if not as aggressive.

Hope that helps.
              Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
              4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
              First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by DRaider90 View Post
                I have 2 questions, first is M101 or D300 a better investment/supplement to M105?

And will M101 ever be available in gallon sizes in the US?

I am going to go out on a limb and guess M101 is a better choice than D300 (considering I need a compound that can remove wet sanding marks easily), but I wanted to get opinions considering M101

A.)Can't be found in Gallons and
                B.)Isn't exactly on the cheap side.
                M101 is my favorite cutting compound. M101 is aggressive and leaves the paint "almost" LSP ready.
                D300 with a microfiber cutting disc is a wonderful (milder than M101) compound for swirl removal.

For a real heavy cut...
                I use a few drops of D300 with M105 to "tame down M105", reduce splatter, flashing and increase work time.

A.) M101 is not available in gallons in the US. I asked...they said "Buy four quarts". (GRIN)
                B.) No, M101 is not "on the cheap side" but it works great and reduces your time!

That's the balance for me. M101 gets the job done, great results and less time.

Merlin - A Miracle Detailing

YouTube - Facebook - - Instagram

Comment

Sounds like to me M101 is the better choice of the two for right now, and D300 would be a good addition later down the road. At my work I have a Porter Cable 7424xp, and a DeWalt DWP849 Rotary so any side work I do there I have various options (along with wool & foam pads) making M105 a good general purpose compound. BUT a friend has loaned me (long term) his Porter Cable 7336, which doesn't have the power of the rotary (which I am trying to get away from anyway) or even the 7424xp so I need something with as much cut as possible like M101 for jobs that I don't do while at the dealership. For some reason I don't believe in "borrowing tools" from work like my old Assistant Manager did for side jobs. So I have to make the 7336 work (on side jobs at least) until I shell out the $400+ for a Rupes 15 (or maybe a 21) hopefully sooner than later.

Comment

On a side note, if you want to shell out around $228.76 for a gallon of M101 here ya go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-3.../400905682813?

Comment

what is the difference between water based and oil based compounds?

Comment

M100 + microfiber cutting pad is a severe defect removal. There have been quite a few posts made by Michael Stoops stating that. You may want to look for his posts or maybe he will chime in.

I used M100 with a microfiber cutting pad on a 2010 Camaro that had really hard paint. It dusted more than D300 but it removed more than D300 with fewer passes.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

If possible I prefer D300 over M101 for mild defect removal.
                          If D300 get the job done use it first. M101 has more cut.
                          Why? Clear coat on modern vehicles is very thin.
                          Use the least aggressive method first.

Merlin - A Miracle Detailing

YouTube - Facebook - - Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
                            Use the least aggressive method first.
                            Very good point.
                            99 Grand Prix
                            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Using the least aggressive method first is always the way to go, in my mind though that would be M205 and a heavy cutting pad. A wool pad and M205 on a rotary actually is quite impressive for removing sanding marks. I have more pad options right now than I do compounds, but eventually I will pick up D300. Just not sure if I want to spend over $200 for a gallon of M101. lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');