• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#67/red cutting pad/DA not enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #67/red cutting pad/DA not enough

I need more gel coat correction. I know that I have more powerful choices available such as rotary/wool/91. Which do you suggest and will I need an intermediate correction step before polish and/or wax?

Thanks,

George

Re: #67/red cutting pad/DA not enough

105 is pretty aggressive with a red pad.

Comment

I found an old chart that shows:

91/wool
      67/red

so thats one approach. However I also have read many posts that suggest that with old abused gel coat such as I have that cutting just opens the pores of the dried out gel coat and makes it worse. I am wondering if I should even start down the 91/wool path. It's pretty blotchy after 67/red.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comment

I worked out the following after doing some sections/experiments and will try it out on the entire front brow of the boat, which is a lot of real estate:

Yellow/45/DA
        67/wool/rotory
        67/red/DA
        61/yellow/DA
        63/hand

I found that the uber dry gelcoat soaks up the 67 polish and makes it blotchy hence the 45 "pre soak". It still drags a little so the second 67 step smooths it out. BTW, I was a 49/45/56 guy for decades but 67/61/63 is a serious upgrade although 67/61/Collonite paste is just as good. Also a lot of the guys here like:

3M Perfect it/wool/rotory
        63/wool/rotory

but I have not tried it.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');