• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1966 Ford Mustang. Meguiar's #7 to the Rescue. Amazing Turnaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Ford Mustang. Meguiar's #7 to the Rescue. Amazing Turnaround

This 1966 Ford Mustang has its original gold metallic paint and has been stored outside for the last two decades in Los Angeles, CA

It was recently purchased for a quick mini-restoration & resale

Paint was very dull, without the slightest hint of shine or reflection

The budget was low, so the goal was getting back a decent amount of shine so that the vehicle would photograph better for sale on the Internet

The process was limited to two stages:

Friday evening a heavy application of Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze to get some moisture back into the paint and prepare it for polishing

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze - Polish to a concours-worthy finish! If youre already familiar with this intense glaze, youve already come to appreciate how essential it is to a concours-quality finish. If this is your first experience ...

Saturday evening, I began the compounding step to remove the heavy layer of oxidation, with Lake Country Hybrid Wool, Meguiar's M100 and my FLEX 3401.

This combination gummed up very quickly and spurring, brushing and blowing out the pad was not working well.

I changed up to a Lake Country Orange Cutting Pad, M100 and my FLEX 3401. I used this combination "wet"...lots of M100 and misting the surface with water.

Yes, this pad WAS orange

I think this combo allowed the massive amount of oxidized paint to become suspended in the large amount of M100.

Working a small, 12" x 12", area also seemed to help. I used all eight of the Orange pads I had available.

I found that wiping off with a dry microfiber towel was difficult and switched to a wet MF towel.
    Not damp...soaking wet, dunked in a bucket of water between sections

The process was moving along pretty quickly

I chose a wax, instead of sealant; with hopes that it would contribute additional moisture to the paint

The project was finished up after midnight

After pictures were taken by the Customer

Re: 1966 Ford Mustang. Meguiar's #7 to the Rescue. Amazing Turnaround

Nicely done.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I want it!!!
      2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment