• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use on this paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use on this paint?

Hi guys, I'm new to the whole defect removal/detailing world. I have a co-worker with a black 1998 Chevy Cavalier that has nasty swirls/cob webs. They stand out really bad in the sun. I just got my G-100 and I'm looking to use it to get rid of them.

Here are some pics of the paint.

Here is a list of what I have so far:
    G-100
    W-7006 X2
    W-8006 X2
    W-9006 X1
    M-02
    M-09
    M-07
    M-26
    A-30
    A-21
    A-22

I haven't really used the D/A on anything yet. I'm going to do my friends car with M-07 on Saturday, so that should give me some practice useing the D/A. I know I need some more pads and some other products. I was planning on gettting some Scratch X, A Quick Clay kit, M-83, M-80, and M-21 after hearing all the raves.

My question is, Would the M-83 on a W-8006 be too aggressive to start with? Should I go with the M-09 on a W-8006 instead? I really want to stick to useing the least aggressive product to get the job done philosophy.

I thank you in advance for any advice you can give me,

Mini-T

I will take a stab at it...

I would wash, and then clay your car using your clay kit and make you sure use plenty of the spray detailer when claying a section. After wiping down your car, I would try 83 on your PC with a 8000 series foam polishing pad, (Meguiars does not recommend you using a 7000 series cutting pad on the PC due to the possibility of hazing). Try one 2x3 section at a time and work the product in properly and wipe off. Just from looking at the pictures, it may take more than one attempt to remove those swirls. When your satisfied with the results, then switch to a new polishing pad and 80 and repeat, then follow that up with the wax of your choice and a finishing pad.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weed
      I will take a stab at it...

I would wash, and then clay your car using your clay kit and make you sure use plenty of the spray detailer when claying a section. After wiping down your car, I would try 83 on your PC with a 8000 series foam polishing pad, (Meguiars does not recommend you using a 7000 series cutting pad on the PC due to the possibility of hazing). Try one 2x3 section at a time and work the product in properly and wipe off. Just from looking at the pictures, it may take more than one attempt to remove those swirls. When your satisfied with the results, then switch to a new polishing pad and 80 and repeat, then follow that up with the wax of your choice and a finishing pad.

Tom
      So to get rid of those swirl marks to get a showroom shine could possibly take more than 3 attempts or more?

Comment

Yeah, those are pretty big swirls. It isnt really attempts.. just work the product into a section, then wipe off... then do it again right away, and again if nessacery, even adding a liitle extra pressure.

The thing is that a G-100 is meant to be safe. A rotary could get them in one pass maybe, but it is very difficult and dangerous for the inexperienced.. even the experienced sometimes. So you sacrifice speed for safety. You may even need to go from passes with #83, then to a final pass with #80 for absolute best results.

Naturaly, if you detail it in the future, it will be much easier up keep then. Just a mild pass with #80, and then wax.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');