• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exterior Trim Detailer G-13415 ~ Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Trim Detailer G-13415 ~ Review

Here is my review of Meguiars Exterior Trim Detailer.

First Impressions:
    Its packaged in a aerosol with three settings on the spray nozzle, this is VERY useful.

At first, I didn't really know where I was going to use this product as I don't have all that much trim on the outside.

The Product:

Application/Use:
    I ended up using it in the wheel wells, under the hood on some large plastic parts and the cover on my rear bumper. I wanted a variety of areas to try and I don't have all that much trim to try it out on.

The wheel wells and engine compartment are a little more difficult to apply a dressing type product and this made it very easy.

End Results:
    It really had a nice shine but its a little much for me in areas, I tried to use a light coat so it looked a little uneven under the hood, a quick wipe with a cotton towel to even out the look and I was set. I also tried to tone down the gloss on my bumper with a wipe of a cotton towel sometime after I applied it but it didn't seem to help.

The Look:

Overall Impression:
    At first I noticed it seems to have a greasy feel to it, like most other protectant/dressing type products.

I applied it under the hood a couple weeks ago (this is out of the elements, other than heat) and it still looked great after two weeks. It was a little dusty but that is to be expected.

I wanted to give the product a second try so I carefully rinsed the engine compartment and noticed the water beaded up like it was waxed! Seemed to repel water rather nice, I was kind of surprised by this. Once I dried the engine compartment I gave the plastic another coat and wiped with a cotton towel. I really like this product in this case both for the look and for the ease of use.

Water Beading:

I also applied it to my wheel wells, again easy to apply and looks great. I found in this case it would be nice to use the can upside down or sideways but it only works up right. I did look over the wheel wells a week and a half after the application, during the time we had some rain. I did notice that the coating still appeared to be there (slick with some gloss) although it was dirty. Overall seemed to hold up well in this area.

On to the bumper, with the aerosol it is very easy to get into the small hard to reach areas. But you have to be a little careful or you will have to do some clean up on the paint. In this case I would rather use a hand applied protectant/dressing as you can control the product better. Also, I don't like a high gloss finish on my outer trim.

Hard to Reach Area, notice the gloss:

The glossy shine to the product on my exterior plastic (bumper) was a little too much for my taste. I DO like the gloss on the wheel wells and the engine compartment.

As the can states it did wipe off paint and glass rather easy it did seem to leave the surface a little slick but it was not visible.

I was limited on how I could use this product due to my vehicle but it turned out to be very useful in the places I did use it. I can see how this product would work great on vehicle with lots of outer plastic or hard to reach areas, its quick and looks very nice if you like gloss. I prefer to use a hand applied protectant/dressing on the small amount of exterior plastic that is on my vehicle.

As for the value, I did seem to use alot of product... There are other great Meguiars products out there that look just as good if not better and are a better value. But if you have a lot of plastic trim and want a quick and easy way to keep it looking great this product will work for you. Also, for the occasional under hood applications and wheel wells this product really stands out and I will continue to use it for those applications.

I give this a

Brandon
    Last edited by gb387; Nov 16, 2005, 02:31 PM.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Hey Gb,

Great job!! I really appreciate seeing the pictures as it gives a person a better reference as to what something looks like!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks for the great writeup and pictures gb387. You are right about the gloss on the bumper, too much for my taste also.
      I usualy don't like aerosols BC it's hard to controll where it's going. Did you apply it directly to the plastic or to an applicator first and then to the plastic?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark2
        Thanks for the great writeup and pictures gb387. You are right about the gloss on the bumper, too much for my taste also.
        I usualy don't like aerosols BC it's hard to controll where it's going. Did you apply it directly to the plastic or to an applicator first and then to the plastic?

Directly on the plastic.
        Brandon

Comment

I thought I liked this product! Upon my initial use I thought it was pretty good, did a nice job and left the desired sheen I was looking for.

However...I have experienced a problem with this product after a couple of uses on my car and my friends car that I did for him.

On the black hard plastic trim around the windows and door trim on both cars and my front cowling under the windshield, the black has actually turned to a grey blue and has a "marbled" look to it. It looks horrible! It's almost as though it stripped the finsih off?

Ok..maybe I should not have used it on these parts? I did not think it would be a problem as I have used many types of trim products without any problems. I assumed (yeah..I know, I know) it would be safe coming from the Meguiar's family.

I'm not sure if it's the chemicals (hexane/acetone) reacted or are a too harsh for these items or not?

On other trim on my car (front grille and fascia) I have had no issues that I can see.

I have tried my other trim products and it darkens them a bit and restores some color, but you can still see the harm that has been done underneath! Looks like I'll be repairing/replacing these items.

I will take some pictures and show what I mean!

So..I do add some caution for other folks when using this product!
          My Dad said once..."Son...you can never do enough for a good customer!" I Said "Don't worry Dad...I won't"!

Hehehehe

Comment

running?

For those of you who have used it on your trim or plastic, have you had any of the product run off and onto the paint after a rain or morning dew? Maybe even a fellow Avalanche owner can chime in. My main problem with any thing that is out there is that they look good up until it rains or dews outside then I see runoff on my paint from the product running off of the plastic bed panels on the back of the truck. I've used the foam interior product (I know, INTERIOR) but since it did such a great job on the interior and seemed to be bone dry I thought I'd try it along with a few other Megs products with no luck yet. Maybe this is the way to go??
            Yea, I'm a red hot beaner!!

Comment

Originally posted by f1guy68
              I thought I liked this product! Upon my initial use I thought it was pretty good, did a nice job and left the desired sheen I was looking for.

However...I have experienced a problem with this product after a couple of uses on my car and my friends car that I did for him.

On the black hard plastic trim around the windows and door trim on both cars and my front cowling under the windshield, the black has actually turned to a grey blue and has a "marbled" look to it. It looks horrible! It's almost as though it stripped the finish off?

Ok..maybe I should not have used it on these parts? I did not think it would be a problem as I have used many types of trim products without any problems. I assumed (yeah..I know, I know) it would be safe coming from the Meguiar's family.

I'm not sure if it's the chemicals (hexane/acetone) reacted or are a too harsh for these items or not?
              Any solvent carrying agents, (The propellant), should/will flash off so fast it shouldn't be a problem.

On other trim on my car (front grille and fascia) I have had no issues that I can see.

I have tried my other trim products and it darkens them a bit and restores some color, but you can still see the harm that has been done underneath! Looks like I'll be repairing/replacing these items.

I will take some pictures and show what I mean!

So..I do add some caution for other folks when using this product!
              Haven't heard of the problems you've run into, so some pictures would be nice. I'm going to forward this to Tom McDonald and Mike Pennington to see if they have anything to say on this matter.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I love this product. I have used it one 3 cars so far and it looks great on each. I use it on any trim and on the wheel wells for a quick and easy shine. I still love my old Gold Class Trim Detailer but this stuff is quicker to apply. I'm guessing the Gold Class is a better bang for the buck however, since aerosol cans never seem to last too long.

I will definitely continue buying it though.

Chris
                Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

Just a quick update on this product....

I cleaned under the hood for the first time since I originally posted this (June 2, 2005) all that was needed was a quick rinse with the hose and wipe dry. The Exterior Trim Detailer was still there looking good. There is very little exposure to the environment other than time and heat from the engine.

It has lost some of its gloss but the product still looks good. I will continue to use this product under the hood as needed.

I still prefer to use #38 Tire & Trim Dressing Gel on the exterior.
                  Brandon

Comment

Re: Exterior Trim Detailer G-13415 ~ Review

were can i find some here in fl kissimmee

Comment

Re: Exterior Trim Detailer G-13415 ~ Review

Gold Class Trim Detailer
                      this what we have
                      and nautral shine and...
                      not new Exterior Trim Detailer.
                      alberto gorin
                      known as gorin002

Comment