• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning up a pretty big 5er

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning up a pretty big 5er

I used Brand N liquid wax on this 5er when we first bought it (new) as that's what I had on hand. Didn't last well. Last year I did a good cleanup and used NXT liquid and it smeared on the gel coated 'glass trailer sides and was tough to wipe off but worked fine on the truck and painted nose of the trailer. This year, decided to really get 'with it' and bought a jug of the M6132. It goes on well and wipes down easily by hand.

That's the background. I like the M6132 but have a few questions:
    - Is M6132 safe to apply over the mediocre quality decals that RV manufacturers seem to use?
    - Should I use a straight wax over the M6132? I have some Gold Class Carnuba paste as well as some NXT left, or ........
    - Which spray on detailer should I use? I have a couple that I use on my '31 Ford street rod - will they work?
    - What foam pads should I use for the random orbit buffer that's winging its way to me?

Re: Cleaning up a pretty big 5er

Bump
    ....and yes, I have used the M6132 over the decals but still don't know if it's a good idea

Also, surprised that someone, or at least the Meguiar's mod hasn't chimed in.

Oh and I haven't been able to figure out how to change the AVATAR, so here is the completed car, polished with Meguiar's Gold Class Carnuba:

Comment

Nice ride!

The easy way to wax your 5W is to use #6 cleaner wax with a polishing pad on your D/A. This works well on gel coat and won't wreck the cheap decals that everyone uses.
      Depending on how big your rig is a six pack of adult beverages will help too.

Comment

The 5er is 38 feet with 4 slides - so is right up there in length so maybe a 24 pack would work out better since it is usually a 2-4 day project depending on the weather.

I've done most of the 5er with the M6132 and so far looks a lot better but might give the #6 a try next time. I have always used Meguiar's pro line for vehicles but locally it's getting hard to find outside of one of the not easy to get to body supply seller.

Comment

You might try O'Reilly's, they usually have #6 back in the paint supplies section along with other pro line stuff. I used to sell campers and I remember those big 5W rigs, sounds like a nice one.

Comment

so what is a 5er/5W? Looks like a hot rod?

Comment

I think 5er is being used here to describe a 5th wheeler travel trailer. Usually 8 feet tall by 24 to 40 feet long.

The Hot Rod appears to be a mighty fine looking Model A.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');