• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear coat safe rubbing or Ultimate compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coat safe rubbing or Ultimate compound

Hello =)

Tried to search, tried to google, but without any luck.

My car a black VW -02 hasn't got any love since new (just bought the car). So i thought i would give it a go. Am not after perfection and am going to do it by hand.

So i have looked at some products and come up with 2 options: Clear coat safe rubbing and Ultimate compound. In my mind the "clear coat safe rubbing" would be the best option since it's made to use by hand. However i havn't found anything about it. How to use etc.

This is how i think i'll use it. just rubbing it in untill am happy? Not like other products where you wait until "a matte surface occure, then wipe it off".

As a final stage i have bought the paint protect 365

Am just unsure how to use the Clear coat safe rubbing, since this is oki here it comes: the first time i ever use Meguiars products :/

Re: Clear coat safe rubbing or Ultimate compound

Get yourself ultimate compound. It can be used by hand.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by snozan View Post
      ...This is how i think i'll use it. just rubbing it in untill am happy? Not like other products where you wait until "a matte surface occure, then wipe it off"....
      Correct, only waxes and sealants need to dry before removing the residue. They work by leaving something behind.

Compounds and polishes do their job as you rub them against the finish. When you're done rubbing there's nothing more for them to do. They should be removed before they dry.

Comment

Ultimate.

Comment

Thanks for reply Ultimate you say...

So what's the real difference between "Clear coat safe rubbing" and "Ultimatre compound"? Which one is most bullet proof? Saw some serious pictures yesterday here on a car when things got really really wrong with ultimate compound.

Comment

Thanks for reply Ultimate you say...

So what's the real difference between "Clear coat safe rubbing" and "Ultimatre compound"? Which one is most bullet proof? Saw some serious pictures yesterday here on a car when things got really really wrong with ultimate compound.

Oki i searched some more. And i think i came up with the answer myself?

Clear coat safe rubbing is a "DAT"
            DAT products use a kind of abrasive that becomes smaller and smaller as it is worked against the surface. The 80 series polishes (85,84,83,80) use this kind of technology. They have specific work time and you have to work through that entire work time because the abrasives need to break down and keep polishing the surface. If you stop working the prodict too soon, there may be some hazing due to the abrasives not breaking down all the way.
            And Ultimate Compound is a "SMAT"

SMAT stands for Super Micro Abrasive Technology. Products like M105, M205, Ultimate Compound, Swirlx, Scratchx 2.0, M86 and D151 all use SMAT. This means that the abrasives do not break down. They are extremely small and do not break down upon working the product. This allows detailers and technicians to work the product as long as they need to, not as long as the product needs to. SMAT saves time in this manner. Furthermore, SMAT allows a compound like M105 to finish out very nicely and in some cases, it can be used as a finishing polish! Finishing polishes like M205 can also bring clarity to a finish that M80 Spped Glaze simply can't do due to the abrasive technology. This is why M205 and M205 is one of the most popular compound/polsh combos out there.

If so, there is no question about what to use. I want to decide when its done without having to add more to get the job done
            Read more at http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...1CCecbQLGyj.99

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
              Compounds and polishes do their job as you rub them against the finish. When you're done rubbing there's nothing more for them to do. They should be removed before they dry.
              Kidding me? So you do not need to remove it with a microfiber towl after you have put it on the surface with the yellow pad by hand? In the manual it says turn 4-6 times over the same part and then wipe it off with a microfiber towl.

Comment

Originally posted by rytec View Post
                Kidding me? So you do not need to remove it with a microfiber towl after you have put it on the surface with the yellow pad by hand? In the manual it says turn 4-6 times over the same part and then wipe it off with a microfiber towl.
                Of course you want to remove a compound or polish. You do not want to let it dry on the paint unless you want to make things harder on yourself.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Yes I thought the same and do it always that way, but I understood it wrong in the sentence of "the other pc" because he said they should be removed before they dry and I thought that you needed to turn and turn untill you couldn't see any of the stuff anymore, my mistake of interpretation

Comment

rytec, all of this is very overwhelming. All of us had to spend time figuring it all out, and there's not really any easy answers. Heck, some waxes do not need to, and should not, be left to dry, if that makes the point. I use Detailer D301 Finishing Wax, and it's designed to be wiped off immediately with one wipe. The old days of lathering on a wax by hand and waiting all afternoon for it to dry, then spending an hour or more trying to remove the excess and buff it out are over. It's just too much work. Also, everything Meguiar's makes is "clear coat safe", I believe.

Some pictures would help us gauge what your paint might need and we can help you with better information than just shouting brand names at you Meguiar's makes a LOT of products, but what is it you're trying to accomplish, and how much time do you have to devote to periodic "cleanup" or "correction" and regular "maintenance", meaning regular washing and spray waxes??
                    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Well...not sure what you're worried about The car looks great.

You keep asking about polish and shine, though, and I can see what you mean in the pictures. The car's paint is a light blue-grey that blends into the sky, so it's going to take - you guessed it - polishing oils. I think, regardless of any compounding you may do, you should use a polish over the whole car like Ultimate Polish (Detailer D302 would be darker and wetter looking, and is yellow, not white), and also a polish-wax, like Ultimate Wax, or better yet, Gold Class. I think Ultimate will only re-enforce the silvery highlights, but if you try Gold Class it will darken the finish and make it, well, golden, especially after D302, but also after UP. Since Gold Class is loaded with the oils we've discussed, you should have an eye-popping, deep wet shine. My comment before was because of black paint that's already glossy, but your paint, while pretty of course, will need that extra polishing oil and darkening ability to make it pop.

So, I think it's an easy fix, or test. If you already have UP, all you need is an inexpensive bottle of Gold Class Carnauba Plus, but make sure you get some Gold Class Quik Wax as well so you can maintain it
                      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Thanks a lot for this beautiful comment.

So I buy a bottle of Gold Class Carnauba Plus LIQUID? Because I do it by hand.
                        But the ULW is a lot more expensiver than the Gold Class Carnauba, is it because there is a foam pad and microfiber towl included in that box?

And should I also use next time Meguiars Gold Class shampoo and Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish (A2116) before the gold class liquid wax?

Comment

Just a quick note. Didn't have the time this year (winter is soon coming to Sweden). So i just made a quick fix. Clay then PP365. However i intend to use the products i bought in spring time (UC and UP, then i havn't decided but i guess UW). Never used any product that didnt have to dry to a haze, so am quite nervous to try it out. I watched numerous youtube clips to see how it looks like. And i guess it won't be perfect first time (have a black paint aswell to complicate things even more). But as i said in my first post. Am not after perfection. it dosent have to be 100% first try

And am not sure, but i might buy a machine aswell. We'll see

Comment

And am not sure, but i might buy a machine aswell. We'll see
                            I also will considering buying a machine, I gues it will be a lot easier and more effictive.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');