• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing clear coat with ultimate compound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing clear coat with ultimate compound?

I was wondering how many times you would have to use ultimate compound before you removed to much clear coat, lets say you were using a meguiars dual action with a meguiars cutting pad, roughly how many times would you have to use it figure you're doing 5 passes at a time

Re: Removing clear coat with ultimate compound?

As far as compounds go, Ult Compound is fairly mild. You would be hard pressed to do any serious paint (clear coat) removal during the course of a normal compounding with UC.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
      As far as compounds go, Ult Compound is fairly mild. You would be hard pressed to do any serious paint (clear coat) removal during the course of a normal compounding with UC.
      Oh really, thanks for the quik reply, what would you have to use to remove to much clearcoat something like ultra cut 105?

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
        Even with the da on high with a cutting pad?

Comment

IMO, assuming the paint is sufficiently hard, you can compound with UC/M105 on foam hundreds of separate times with many dozens of passes each - even that might be a low figure, because those are medium-strength combos that are not actually cutting the clear without a lot of work. However, if the paint is sufficiently soft, it might only take a handful of corrections before the clear is compromised. Of course, in that case, you wouldn't be using UC/M105 regularly in the first place, but UP/M205 instead. Changing the variables, say using a Rupes instead of a Porter Cable, or a Porter Cable instead of a DA Power System, MF instead of foam, or M101 instead of UC/M105, would change the outcome. So, it all depends. You have to get a feel for how your paint is responding when you're correcting scratches and other defects.
          Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
          4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
          First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
            IMO, assuming the paint is sufficiently hard, you can compound with UC/M105 on foam hundreds of separate times with many dozens of passes each - even that might be a low figure, because those are medium-strength combos that are not actually cutting the clear without a lot of work.
            Thanks Top Gear--this is something I had been wondering about as well. Since my car is 'new' (delivered 3/2016, manufactured 9/2015), I was a bit reluctant to use UC again in short order ( did a full UC correction about 6 weeks ago using UC on foam with a HF DA, heavy pressure on highest speed).
            Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
            Of course, in that case, you wouldn't be using UC/M105 regularly in the first place, but UP/M205 instead. Changing the variables, say using a Rupes instead of a Porter Cable, or a Porter Cable instead of a DA Power System, MF instead of foam, or M101 instead of UC/M105, would change the outcome. So, it all depends. You have to get a feel for how your paint is responding when you're correcting scratches and other defects.
            As you pointed out it really depends on the hardness of the paint. My paint is super hard, and I still have swirl marks to remove (funny how they are so easy to put in the finish but so hard to remove).

Once the new paint from the body shop cures (different thread), I will tackle them again.
            2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Originally posted by MicrofiberMan View Post
              Oh really, thanks for the quik reply, what would you have to use to remove to much clearcoat something like ultra cut 105?
              Originally posted by MicrofiberMan View Post
              Even with the da on high with a cutting pad?

If you stay within Meguiar's Consumer Line of products they are all pretty mild in comparison to the Professional Line products. Basically you would have to do something incredibly stupid to burn through your paint with a Porter Cable ... something like using a compound at high speed with a cutting pad or mf pad with pressure on an edge, or swing the PC around by it's cord and slam it down on the hood.

Meg's UC and UP are very user friendly & like mentioned on the mild side. I would rather be too mild and have it take several passes (or sessions) to clear up a paint job than risk going too aggressive and damaging the paint. I use a cutting pad on my black Camaro all the time (usually with UP) and it has never cut too much or even left hazing.

Just use common sense and you'll be fine.
              Don
              12/27/2015
              "Darth Camaro"
              2013 Camaro ... triple black
              323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

You may find this interesting to read

99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                  You may find this interesting to read

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...78fkhKHpyAb.97
                  Thanks for posting the thread.

Comment

I've achieved strike through with Ultimate Compound, a Porter Cable 7424xp, and a Green Hex Logic pad. All the years using a rotary, with Meguiar's wool and foam pads - no problems. First time with a PC.. That happened.. I've even removed 1000 grit sanding marks with it on a moderately soft single stage. Speed 6, light pressure. Foam pads.

Not that you will experience that, but that was mine. I love that combo, and it's actually my go to for serious heavy cutting.

Comment

Did my car again yesterday, i wet sanded a few scratches with 3000 grit, used ultimate compound on a few panels, then mirror glaze finishing polish first with a polishing pad then again with a finishing pad, its as good and polished as i can possibly get it, a few small scratches are still there that i didn't want to wet sand but im not going to polish again for a year and it will be light, I cant get it any better then it is with the tools and knowledge i have right now.

Comment

I also hit it with 07 before i waxed, actually still working on it maybe ill post a pic later

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');