• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cloudy/drippy clear coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudy/drippy clear coat

I noticed these issues with my car after a very hot summer season a few years ago. To be honest, it looks more like damage from cleaning chemicals at a car wash than heat damage - but it has now been way too long to go seek restitution for this.

Using Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish (and a lot of elbow grease!) can remove it temporarily, but it always comes back. What is this exactly? Is there a more permanent fix that doesn't involve a huge hit to my wallet? Cheers.

Re: Cloudy/drippy clear coat

Looks like soap chemicals left on and baked in by the Sun, staining the clear coat because it wasn't protected at the time.

Because it keeps coming back, you're going to have to get a lot more aggressive and "professional" than using UC/UP by hand. You're not really cutting into the problem - just coating it with polishing oils temporarily. Fixing it will require use of a DA polishing machine, like a Porter Cable, with quality pads, like Meguiars microfiber. It will require a full multi-step correction, or it may also require wet-sanding followed by a full correction. You can buy all the products and learn the techniques, or pay a pro to do it. Who knows, it might even be a candidate for a Meguiar's Open Garage event (not that I'm volunteering them). However it's fixed, the finish needs to be properly washed and waxed and maintained so that soap doesn't dry on the surface, and even if it did, doesn't easily etch into the clear coat itself.

In short, I think it's fixable, but could require most or all of the techniques we all talk about here, in many hours of proper correction. It's not going to be an easy 5-minute $10 fix.
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think i want to go at this myself. What does a "full multi-step correction" entail? Is it: wash the car with harsher soap to remove outer layers, clay affect areas, DA machine for compound + polish, and finally wax to coat the surface?

Comment

Seeing as you are local, you may want to head over to a Thursday night garage or Saturday class to get some hands on training.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');