• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't match the shine on the right side, what am I missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't match the shine on the right side, what am I missing?

Meguiar's system's

"Not the Shine I was looking for"

Car: 2014 X6 Carbon Black
    Products: Meguiar line up-
    DA drill adapter
    Clay bundle
    Ultimate Compound
    Ultimate Polish
    Ultimate Liquid Wax
    Ultimate Gold Class Wax

After cleaning, claying and ultimate compound, the micro-swirls and scratches were greatly reduced but I'm left with a non-reflective shine. I even tried "layering" Gold Class Wax on top of the liquid wax but still, it's "not the shine I was looking for".

Do I need to get a acrylic paint sealant like Klasse High Gloss? Here my car, the left side is done with Meguiar and the right side is stock (or whatever the previous owner apply) and it's a super reflective shine. Meguiar's liquid wax and gold class wax gives off a warm glossy wet look but I prefer the high reflective mirror shine. I'm literary driving with a 50/50 car that has a traditional carnauba wax gloss combine with a mirror reflective shine.

Left

Right

Left close up

Right close up

I'm like the two-face of car detailing. What kind of wax, sealant, voodoo magic do I need to match the right side of the car.

Re: I can't match the shine on the right side, what am I missing?

It is possible the lighting is playing a factor.

A couple of things to note. Ultimate polish will darken the paint quite bit. Gold Glass will also darken the paint.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

The bumper on both sides look identical as it appears the lighting is equal there. However, in the pics, it looks like you have a light shinging directly on the panel on the left side, whereas on the right, i don't see that. Did you take it out in the sunlight and look at the car from different angles, and reposition the car 180 degrees and look again to see what you think? Can you take pics outside doing this? Sun on both panels would be great.

Comment

I can assure you guys the two sides have a different shine, the pictures are shot like that to show the identical body panels. I'll take more pictures with depth and distance, the "sprinkle" of light is less striking in the Meguiar parts.
        I would say the Meguiar produced a gloss that has a traditional vintage car look, warm and inviting but not reflective.

Could it be that the liquid wax is not sticking to the actual paint but to the polish residue? How much pressure do you apply to Ultimate Compound compare to Polish?

Comment

I agree with guz. Take it out in the sun and get a true reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyinghellfish View Post
            I can assure you guys the two sides have a different shine, the pictures are shot like that to show the identical body panels. I'll take more pictures with depth and distance, the "sprinkle" of light is less striking in the Meguiar parts.
            I would say the Meguiar produced a gloss that has a traditional vintage car look, warm and inviting but not reflective.

Could it be that the liquid wax is not sticking to the actual paint but to the polish residue? How much pressure do you apply to Ultimate Compound compare to Polish?
            I refer you to my post again. You are more than likely seeing the darkening effect of ultimate polish and gold class.

Ultimate Wax will bond to the paint regardless if there is polishing oils on the paint.

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
            It is possible the lighting is playing a factor.

A couple of things to note. Ultimate polish will darken the paint quite bit. Gold Glass will also darken the paint.
            Originally posted by Jarhead0754 View Post
            I agree with guz. Take it out in the sun and get a true reading.
            Hey good to see you around and posting again.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Oh ok, I'll try to get some pictures of it in the sun. I didn't know Gold class and UP both darken a car paint, does 105/205 have the same effect?

Got some newbie questions,
              Can I spray ultimate quick detailed to remove UC and UP quicker? Or would I have to clay again to remove UQD before I wax?

Comment

Oh ok, I'll try to get some pictures of it in the sun. I didn't know Gold class and UP both darken a car paint, does 105/205 have the same effect?

Got some newbie questions,
                Can I spray ultimate quick detailed to remove UC and UP quicker? Or would I have to clay again to remove UQD before I wax?
                M205 has less polishing oils than ultimate polish so the darkening effect is less noticeable. If ultimate compound is working for you then there is no need to move to M105.

To answer your question about removing ultimate compound and ultimate polish quicker. If you are having problems then you are overworking the product and/or working to large of an area. The only thing about using ultimate quik detailer is that it leaves behind a layer of protection that may interfere with the bonding of ultimate wax. Claying a second time would be redundant even if you just wanted to remove ultimate quik detailer. You could just use the regular quick detailer to remove the compound and polish.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

I believe you're right, I am over working the product. I would sometimes get streaks of residue that are hard to remove. When should one remove UC / UP? Do you wipe it off when it's still "white" on the paint?

Comment

How are you working the products? Hand, machine? What machine/pads? Etc..?

Are you saying that the clarity is reduced on the areas you worked?

Comment

I'm using the DA drill adapter and the Meguisrs' power pack.

I can't get the panels to reflective like a mirror, and it's funny because the right (reflective) side is dirty with more micro-swirls.

Should I reduce the micro-swirls and have a dull surface or stick with the swirls and have a mirror?

I'm thinking of buying the Porter Cable buffer because the DA adapter isn't as good as I thought.

Comment

So I guess it's true, Meguiar can darken the paint. *sign*

Here's the pictures I took outside,

Comparison of right side vs left.

Another before and after picture. The left side picture is the X6 in it's current state, the other picture was taken at the dealership.

An indoor comparison,

I'm not the only one, check this out. It's a picture of an X5 that a professional detailer took, look at the reflection of the before and after picture. I want the shine look, not warm gloss.

Comment

And the regulars here keep trying to tell me all finishing products look the same. SMH.

Anyway, I agree the lighting isn't even in the various shots, but still, the difference between Ultimate and Gold Class is clearly noticeable on the dark paint. Covering UW with GCQW won't be the same as using GC liquid wax. I mean, just look at the color of the liquids. Your post doesn't make it clear which one gives you the shine you wanted, but I'd just do the whole car in that one. Both are polish-waxes, but look very different on the right paint.
                          Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                          4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                          First Correction | Gallery

Comment

I want the shine on the left side,
                            I did the driver side with Meguiar's system.

Picture # 3 (indoor) is a good example, the left side is lighter and more reflective compared to the darken right driver side.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the previous owner must of used high quality wax and I can't get the same result. Come to think of it, I can't even get a complete swirl free surface like in Meguiar's YouTube videos. I'm not knocking Meguiar products, I just want to know where I'm going wrong.

Comment

So I guess it's true, Meguiar can darken the paint. *sign*

Here's the pictures I took outside,

Comparison of right side vs left.

This looks great. Looks like it is a bit cloudy which will make paint look darker over a sunny day.

I believe the lighting and angles the sun is hitting the paint is playing a little trick on your eyes. Take a photo when the sun is hitting the driver side hood similar to the passenger side. I am certain they will look 90% identical.

Another before and after picture. The left side picture is the X6 in it's current state, the other picture was taken at the dealership.

An indoor comparison,

I'm not the only one, check this out. It's a picture of an X5 that a professional detailer took, look at the reflection of the before and after picture. I want the shine look, not warm gloss.
                              To me it looks like these photos were taken at different times of the day and not the exact same time. Meaning the light source is not exactly the same.

I want the shine on the left side,
                              I did the driver side with Meguiar's system.

Picture # 3 (indoor) is a good example, the left side is lighter and more reflective compared to the darken right driver side.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the previous owner must of used high quality wax and I can't get the same result. Come to think of it, I can't even get a complete swirl free surface like in Meguiar's YouTube videos. I'm not knocking Meguiar products, I just want to know where I'm going wrong.
                              Don't be discouraged. Next time use a prep wipe such as IPA, Car Pro Eraser, Optimum Paint Prep to remove the polishing oils and use a sealant (the ultimate wax you have) and stop there. You could even go with a final wipe using ultimate quik wax or ultimate quik detailer to add a bit more shine and protection. You are seeing the look of the topper (carnauba wax) and not the base layer of protection (ultimate wax).

Some BMW paints are harder than others. Perhaps you are coming up against that. At the same time, the DA drill adapter is not going to give the best correction. For that you would need to go with a DA polisher and pads.
                              99 Grand Prix
                              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');