Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating

          
  1. #31
    I like shiny xantonin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Age
    30
    Posts
    711
    Rep Power
    106

    Re: Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Winn View Post
    Our G17110 Headlight Protection pictured above was basically a synthetic sealant designed specifically for clear plastic. It is recommended to be applied every 6 - 8 weeks. Our G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating can last up to a full year, so the durability is much longer.
    That sounds about right. I still have a bottle though but I Think I'll grab this stuff. Is this the most durable?

    Also, after I apply this, I guess I can use my old bottle after every wash as an extra layer of protection?

    Thanks for responding!
    Rar!
    Disclaimer: The above post is the opinion of this user and should not be considered a fact, nor does the above poster claim it to be one. In fact, you really shouldn't believe anything you read on the internet. Ever. And definitely don't take anything on the internet seriously. It's just not a good idea. Everything on the internet is a wrong. Unless I post it. Then it's probably right.

  2. #32
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    miami
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    No mention of what this coating really is. I've read one guy on other forum say that this removes clear coat which is why you are told to cover your paint like in the pics. By the time you applied this coating 2 or 3 times you will need new headlights anyway

    How true is this?

  3. #33
    Product & Training Specialist |MOL Admin Nick Winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,676
    Rep Power
    76

    Re: Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Cogos View Post
    No mention of what this coating really is. I've read one guy on other forum say that this removes clear coat which is why you are told to cover your paint like in the pics. By the time you applied this coating 2 or 3 times you will need new headlights anyway

    How true is this?
    Cogos,

    Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating is a polymer based coating, and can be applied to new headlights or headlights that have been restored. For new headlights, the use of our Keep Clear Headlight Coating will protect the factory coating on the headlight, helping to prevent it from oxidizing. (this is why headlights turn yellow & oxidized, because the factory coating on the exterior of the headlight assembly wears down from elements of the environment like UV Rays) On restored headlights, since little or none of the original protective coating is left behind after most restoration processes , Keep Clear Headlight Coating does jus that, provide a protective coating so they do not revert back to being yellowed & oxidized. We recommend taping off & protecting the paint & other surfaces surrounding the headlight assembly, because Keep Clear Headlight Coating can leave shiny streaks & an uneven appearance if it gets on a surface other than the headlight...

    Here are some threads with more information for reference:

    Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    Using Meguiar's G2970 Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit

    Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Products

    Nick Winn
    Nick Winn
    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    nawinn@meguiars.com
    800-854-8073 ext 3845

  4. #34
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    miami
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Winn View Post
    Cogos,

    Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating is a polymer based coating, and can be applied to new headlights or headlights that have been restored. For new headlights, the use of our Keep Clear Headlight Coating will protect the factory coating on the headlight, helping to prevent it from oxidizing. (this is why headlights turn yellow & oxidized, because the factory coating on the exterior of the headlight assembly wears down from elements of the environment like UV Rays) On restored headlights, since little or none of the original protective coating is left behind after most restoration processes , Keep Clear Headlight Coating does jus that, provide a protective coating so they do not revert back to being yellowed & oxidized. We recommend taping off & protecting the paint & other surfaces surrounding the headlight assembly, because Keep Clear Headlight Coating can leave shiny streaks & an uneven appearance if it gets on a surface other than the headlight...

    Here are some threads with more information for reference:

    Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    Using Meguiar's G2970 Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit

    Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Products

    Nick Winn
    This doesn't help me. It doesn't say how it can be removed and how long it will visually last. I want this stuff removed, it made my headlights look hazed and they were crystal clear before. How long untill thing wears off on its on or are they gonna look like this forever? This really blows.

  5. #35
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    199
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Cogos View Post
    This doesn't help me. It doesn't say how it can be removed and how long it will visually last. I want this stuff removed, it made my headlights look hazed and they were crystal clear before. How long untill thing wears off on its on or are they gonna look like this forever? This really blows.
    It will probably last a year or two. I would NOT attempt to polish it off. You may damage the original UV coating on the lens and cause premature failure.

    Do your lenses look like it has orange peel or is your light actually impaired by haze?

  6. #36
    Product & Training Specialist |MOL Admin Nick Winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,676
    Rep Power
    76

    Re: Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Cogos View Post
    This doesn't help me. It doesn't say how it can be removed and how long it will visually last. I want this stuff removed, it made my headlights look hazed and they were crystal clear before. How long untill thing wears off on its on or are they gonna look like this forever? This really blows.
    Stating for sake of the thread, we already addressed this question with Cogos in one of his other threads started about this subject. Isopropyl Alcohol can be used to remove Keep Clear Headlight Coating. Keep Clear Headlight Coating is not going to damage the factory clear coat on the exterior of the headlight lens assembly. It is designed to further protect it. It is recommended to tape off the surrounding paint since if the product overspray dries on a surrounding surface, it can be difficult to remove.
    Nick Winn
    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    nawinn@meguiars.com
    800-854-8073 ext 3845

  7. #37
    Detailing BoZo jfelbab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    Not only does it do a great job protecting headlights but I had some left over so sprayed a couple yard light solar panels and this has sealed and protected the solar sensor. The lights I didn't spray no longer work while the ones I did coat are still working just fine. Love this stuff.

  8. #38
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    199
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    What is the coarsest grit sandpaper recommended to use before applying the spray coating? 600 then spray? 1000 then spray? I have very heavy oxidation / uv failure and I want to restore the headlights in as few steps as possible. I've used the 2-step kit before and I've gotten at least 1 year out of the coating and I love it.

  9. #39
    Registered Member roushstage2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Real NorCal
    Posts
    4,115
    Rep Power
    143

    Re: Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    If you’re wetsanding the lens, I’d go to 1000 or 1500 grit and then spray with a 2K clear. It’ll last years.


  10. #40
    Product & Training Specialist |MOL Admin Nick Winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,676
    Rep Power
    76

    Re: Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonballz View Post
    What is the coarsest grit sandpaper recommended to use before applying the spray coating? 600 then spray? 1000 then spray? I have very heavy oxidation / uv failure and I want to restore the headlights in as few steps as possible. I've used the 2-step kit before and I've gotten at least 1 year out of the coating and I love it.
    If I understand your question correctly, you want to wet sand your headlights, do no buffing, & go straight to applying our Keep Clear Headlight Coating. We only really designed this to be completed with the scuff pad & cleaning solution in our two step kit, and not with regular automotive sand paper. With that said, you can probably get away with sanding, and not buffing, and spray this coating directly over 3000 grit. Potentially 1000 Grit.

    Hope this helps.

    Feel free to post further questions.
    Nick Winn
    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    nawinn@meguiars.com
    800-854-8073 ext 3845

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Headlight clear bra vs UV protection products
    By KidDetailer in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jan 26th, 2015, 02:50 PM
  2. RSX Headlight Won't Clear Up
    By imjuspiayin in forum Headlight Restoration & Clear Plastic Detailing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb 4th, 2012, 10:31 AM
  3. Headlight Lens Restoral using Meguair's Pro kit and a 2 part wipe on coating.
    By Innovative Detailing in forum Headlight Restoration & Clear Plastic Detailing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Apr 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM
  4. Clear Coating Rims?
    By Suprem01 in forum Working by Hand
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar 31st, 2008, 08:31 AM
  5. Clear Coating Custom License Plate
    By coredump in forum The Break Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 26th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •