• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'98 S-10 Daily Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '98 S-10 Daily Driver

Hello Everyone,

I joined MOL a few months ago and I have been reading through all of the forums and have been trying to pick up as many tips as possible. I went out this weekend and tried to put a few to work.

This was my first new vehicle which I bought when I was in college. 7 years and 115K miles later it is showing some signs of wear and tear. I have used Gold Class since it was new to try to protect it from the Texas heat, but I have never tried to remove the swirl that have accumulated over the years (mainly due to the choice of drying products )

Here are the steps I used:

1. Washed with Meguiars Deep Crystal Soap
    2. Clayed entire truck
    3. #80 with PC on setting 4
    4. Gold Class with PC on setting 4

Before Passenger Side:

After Passenger Side:

Before Hood:

After Hood:

Before Door with paint splatter (the sun was hidden so this picture is a little decieving in terms of reflection):

After Door (with good sunlight):

After shot of the fender (some swirl marks still but much better then before):

And a few more after shots:

I would love to hear your thoughts and maybe some things I can improve on (I was thinking of using NXT next time since I have read such good things about it).

-Gary

Hi Gary,

Bump the speed setting on the dual action polisher up to the 5.0 setting and only tackle a small section at a time, for example about the size of our Ultimate Wipe microfiber polishing cloth.

Other than that, looks good!
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Looks good Gary!

I just detailed an older S-10 (Black) myself with the same combo, and it looked pretty good IMO for neglected paint.

I'll post pictures later.
      r. b.

Comment

Bump the speed setting on the dual action polisher up to the 5.0 setting and only tackle a small section at a time, for example about the size of our Ultimate Wipe microfiber polishing cloth.

Other than that, looks good!

Mike,

You hit on the two things I struggled with most- trying to work too big of a section and being afraid of using too fast of a setting. I was worried about buffing dry and I really had to cut back on how much product I was using because a little goes a long way.

Thanks for the reassurance - I will give it a go!

-Gary

Comment

I just detailed an older S-10 (Black) myself with the same combo, and it looked pretty good IMO for neglected paint.

I'll post pictures later.

Rusty Bumper,

I would love to see the pics. My paint is definately feeling the effects of being outside in the sun for so long. I have noticed small cracks in the paint on the hood and top

I started out waxing the truck about once a month when I first got it (after putting in all of my info in the Meguiars Rx online) but life kind of got in the way and I couldn't keep the same frequency. I definately would like to keep the deterioration to a minimum - so I am a little more dedicated now.

Thanks again,

-Gary

Comment

Rusty Bumper,

I would love to see the pics. My paint is definately feeling the effects of being outside in the sun for so long. I have noticed small cracks in the paint on the hood and top

Thanks again,

-Gary
            I'll post the pictures after the owner takes them, as I have no DC yet.

Speaking of cracks in black paint...........I saw a late 90's Blazer with the same problem. It seems that black GM paint likes to be detailed on a regular basis.
            Last edited by rusty bumper; Jun 7, 2005, 08:01 AM.
            r. b.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');