• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who still sells a paint restoring coating for flat and faded paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who still sells a paint restoring coating for flat and faded paint?

I can't remember the name of the product but I last used it maybe over 20 years ago. It was a clear liquid you applied with an applicator using back and forth strokes and it brought back the shine on even the most weatherbeaten finish. I have a beater car with metallic paint that has faded so there is no shine left on the horizontal surfaces. The paint itself is fine, no peeling, just faded. Tried polishing compound in a small area and it didn't help. Looked splotchy. Any quick, if just temporary fixes? Like rub transmission fluid, WD40 or Future floor polish on the paint?

Re: Who still sells a paint restoring coating for flat and faded paint?

Photos of the issue would help? How old is the vehicle? Is it single stage or clear coat paint?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I've used Blue Coral Touchless coating c. 1995. Was it something like that? That was an OTC product (i.e. not a professional product).

Comment

Originally posted by joaks View Post
        I've used Blue Coral Touchless coating c. 1995. Was it something like that? That was an OTC product (i.e. not a professional product).
        Yea, thats it.

I'll post a pic but just started raining. It's not original paint but assume it's clearcoat. When I used the DA the compound on the pad turned black. The paint is gold and I washed it before so what is this black in the paint?

Comment

I just purchased some on ebay and applied it to my spoiler (which has clearcoat failure). You can get still get it if you keep your eyes open. I suspect there are better products out there, however.

Comment

Isn't this what polishing paint with M101 or M100 is all about?

Seems to me a DA polisher with Meguiars Ultimate Compound would make it shine. Then seal with Ultimate wax.
            Sometimes you gotta do a little bit more to make a turd shine.
            Typically someone into the art would give it 8 hours minimum for time. At least that is me.

The pad turned black from embedded dirt. If you only have one, wash it with APC when it gets that way and continue on.
            I wouldn't even dream of cleaning the pad with a brush or towel on the fly.
            A clean pad will work many times better.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');