• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synthetic sealant #21 to extend protection for paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic sealant #21 to extend protection for paint?

I have never used a sealant before, so perhaps this isn't what Synthetic sealant #21 is designed for. But I want to use it either as a replacement for my wax layer, or as a base for it (and then put wax on top of it), to extend the protection for a paint, so I don't have to wax so often.

Is this a proper use for #21 (see here: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...ealant-20-64oz )?Or is there another product that is better designed for this?

I don't have a machine, just applicator pads.

I am waxing every 4-6 weeks, and I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to dislike all the time it takes (after washing my two cars every weekend, then applying wax really makes for a long morning). FWIW, both cars are out in the sun 24/7.

I'd like to apply a sealant that would either last longer than the 4-6 weeks that my wax jobs are lasting, or at least, apply sealant, and then a wax on top of that.

Advice?

Re: Synthetic sealant #21 to extend protection for paint?

Originally posted by prr View Post
    I have never used a sealant before, so perhaps this isn't what Synthetic sealant #21 is designed for. But I want to use it either as a replacement for my wax layer, or as a base for it (and then put wax on top of it), to extend the protection for a paint, so I don't have to wax so often.

Is this a proper use for #21 (see here: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...ealant-20-64oz )?Or is there another product that is better designed for this?

I don't have a machine, just applicator pads.

I am waxing every 4-6 weeks, and I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to dislike all the time it takes (after washing my two cars every weekend, then applying wax really makes for a long morning). FWIW, both cars are out in the sun 24/7.

I'd like to apply a sealant that would either last longer than the 4-6 weeks that my wax jobs are lasting, or at least, apply sealant, and then a wax on top of that.

Advice?
    Synthetic Sealant is basically a car wax, don't let the term "sealant" confuse you. It can be used to replace your conventional wax layer by that can mean letting your old wax protection run its course until no wax protection is left then apply the #21 Synthetic sealant or remove the old wax yourself by stripping through claying or some paint cleaning or polishing, then apply the #21. #21 is durable, so applying another layer of pure, cleaner free wax is optional.

#21 can be applied by hand or machine, so it's perfectly fine applying it by hand.

As for your wax not lasting beyond 4-6 weeks, the sun can and will shorten the life of any wax (synthetic or Carnauba), my advice is to use an instant detailer (I like Ultimate Quik Detailer) for light dust removal, and it can boost your wax protection, Spray wax (very quick and easy to use, I like Ultimate Quik Wax), spray waxes can be applied within 15 minutes I can guarantee that it won't be as physically demanding even if done weekly, or be time consuming as your regular wax application, Ultimate Wash and Wax will also help, since it's a carwash that is infused with both carnauba and synthetic ingredients to help extend the life of the applied car wax.

If done right, you will notice that you won't be needing to apply wax every 4-6 weeks. I hope this helps, I'm there will be more inputs and feedback on what you can do to extend your waxing intervals beyond 4-6 weeks.

Comment

If you're washing every week or so, get some Ultimate Quick Wax or D156 (pro version in a gallon jug-great value), and use it as a drying aid at least every other wash. Doing that requires little more effort than just normal drying and it will stretch your waxing intervals markedly.

Bill

Comment

I have seen UQW mentioned before. I saw Mike Philips give instructions on applying it here: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...LsUF4wb6uLq.97 Now in that thread, he is saying to wait till the car is dry. I have read some here talk about using it when teh car is still wet, and then drying it off while they finish drying the car from teh wash. But in the thread I linked to, he states that it should be applied when the car has already dried.

Are you two talking about using it after the car dries, or while it is still wet?

Comment

I gotta say, one of the reasons why I"m thinking about a sealant is that I'm burnt out on trying expensive waxes. I even tried Collinite 845, which everyone says will last 6 months, and I found it to not last any longer than the cheapest wax on the market. So part of me is wondering if these "your car can go 6 months in between wax jobs" is really only for cars parked in a garage most of the day. If so, then perhaps I won't get that much life out of a sealant?

Comment

Washing regularly with UQW while drying seems to last the longest and easiest, with good looks.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The first question I have to ask is are you claying? Claying every now and then helps a wax or sealant last longer.

I'm going to toss out a few other products that might suit your needs for not waxing as often.

Option 1 would be to consider ultimate wax as it is a sealant. It will last a little longer than M21 as it contains newer polymers than M21. Both are great. Using Ultimate Quik Wax on dry paint or as a drying aid is a good maintenance product to use. It will boost the base layer of sealant.

Option 2 is to look into Paint Protect 365. It has a claim of lasting 52 washes. I have used it before and I had good results for 4 months. Maintaining with UQW every other month works well with paint protect 365.

Option 3 would be to wait and invest in the new Ultimate Fast Finish. Has a 1 year claim and it looks to be super easy to apply. Much easier than PP365. You can maintain with UQW or more Ultimate Fast Finish.

Ultimate Fast Finish, Wash Plus+, Basic Headlight Restoration Kit, Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit, Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit, Keep Clear Headlight Coating, Perfect Clarity Glass Care Kit, Mirror Bright Vinyl & Rubber Treatment, Mirror Bright Polishing Wax Paste, Hot Rims Metal Polish, Hot Shine Reflect Foam, Dub Tire Foam, D166 Ultra Polishing Wax, 3" D/A Microfiber Discs,

The last option would be to consider one of the newer ceramic paint coatings. These require more prep work but maintenance is a little less than a traditional wax or sealant. They are more durable and last much longer than a wax or sealant. They do cost more.

Those would be options to consider for something that lasts longer than a wax. Of course your surrounding environment will play a factor on the durability of any wax or sealant.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by prr View Post
                I have seen UQW mentioned before. I saw Mike Philips give instructions on applying it here: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...LsUF4wb6uLq.97 Now in that thread, he is saying to wait till the car is dry. I have read some here talk about using it when teh car is still wet, and then drying it off while they finish drying the car from teh wash. But in the thread I linked to, he states that it should be applied when the car has already dried.

Are you two talking about using it after the car dries, or while it is still wet?
                '

Read post 19 of that thread you reference. That's the way many of us use it.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');