• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring back 3" MF Cutting & Polishing Disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring back 3" MF Cutting & Polishing Disc

I just purchased a RUPES LHR75E and I need 3" MF Cutting & Polishing Disc and the Meguiar's cutting and polishing Disc are the best ones out there.

Re: Bring back 3" MF Cutting & Polishing Disc

Hear, hear!
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

So glad I stocked up as soon as I heard they were discontinued. I doubt Meguiar's will bring them back as they were not selling very well. Other pad manufactures are offering 3" microfiber pads such as Lake Country, Buff and Shine. Even the Griot's 3" boss microfiber pads are another option.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Hey,
        Guz I know others manufactures make them but I have not found any one on any forum that will say one is as good as or even better than the Meguiars MF Pads.

I have been told to stay away from Giot's Garage version, never used Buff and Shine products, and I can test lake country's.

I was hoping I could find a good recommendation on some forum to narrow down this search quickly

Comment

The griot's boss microfiber pads are very good. I own a couple of the 5" pads that I use on my Rupes LHR15 MKII. The Meguiar's pads still cut better but the boss pads are not to far behind. The 3" boss pads are new for 2017 as they were announced at SEMA last year. Lak Country has their new microfiber pads that came out a few weeks ago. I have only used the small pads for the Rupies ibrid nano. Buff and Shine just introduced their new uro fiber which looks interesting.

The other option you have is to make 3" pads out of the larger Meguiar's pads.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks Guz,
            I will try the Lake Country and the buff and shine Pads.

I have been looking at having a steel rule die cutter made to cut the Meguiars Pads. There is one company out there that made a die cutter but there price is insane.

Comment

I just tried the Lake Country 3" MF pads today. They seemed to work fine. I used them with #105 and they seemed to be relatively comparable to the Meguiar's. I'd have to do more testing to get a better feel for the pros and cons but they did what I was trying to do so I didn't spend any extra time playing with them.

I really wish Meguiar's would also offer the foam disks in smaller sizes. I bought the yellow pads for the DAPS and tried those out tonight as well, on a DA with a 3" backing plate. I was trying to dial in a system and wasn't getting the results I was aiming for with them so I didn't test them any more. I'll try to play around with them more soon. But it would be great if the thin discs were available in a smaller size. Working on motorcycles there just aren't that many places that can be buffed with a 5" pad.
              Lydia's Mobile Detailing

Comment

Hi Lydia,
                Thank you very much for the update. I will definitely give lake county 3" MF a try very soon.

I was working on my truck this weekend and I need the 3" so I sacrificed two of my 6" Pads ands cut them down which gave me two 3" per pad. Easier to cut by hand then I would have thought.

Still going to look into a die cutter, since I doubt Meguiars is going to bring back the 3".

I wish I could help you with foam pads unfortunately I just use the Rupes pads. If you are doing allot of Motor Cycles I would thing you need to invest in a Rupes IBird.

Also check out Kevin Browns site as he has a ton of small pads and small backing plates

Comment

Maybe that's what I ought to do. Just cut some down. I know from experience that when cutting foam an electric turkey knife works great.

I've considered the iBrid but it's not in the budget anytime soon. Funny you mention Kevin Brown as this thread actually got me thinking about his offerings. After I posted here last night, I went to his site to look around and even texted him with a few questions. I think I'm going to try out the 2" pads he has to offer (he offers the adapters and things needed to make it work on a DA). The foam colors look strangely familiar...Lol.
                  Lydia's Mobile Detailing

Comment

Hi Lydia,
                    I used my right hand tin snips to cut the pads down and it worked great. Never thought about using a electric turkey knife but you are correct as I have also read that it is great for cutting foam.

Regarding the iBird I hear ya this is very expensive. I hope to buy one by the end of the year. Currently detailing is a hobby for me but I am debating about making this into a weekend business to earn some extra cash this summer.

Regarding Kevin Brown, I reached out to him about making 3" Meguiars pads as I know he makes his own smaller microfiber pads and I believe he cuts them down from Meguiars pads. Unfortunately never heard back from him.

From what I have read, and listened to on AMMO NYC's you tube and Pod Casts, Kevin Brown is the man and he is the master at developing specialty tools for special applications.

Comment

Megs liquids work great with Rupes microfiber pads.

Those pads are how I was introduced to Rupes products. I used them on my PC. The yellow with UP was a great one step combo. UC on the blue offers ridiculous amounts of cut.

Be advised that if you use a pad conditioning, or similar bristle brush to clean the pads, the blue pad has a looped fiber that can be pulled out of the substrate if aggressively brushed.

Once I got the hang of it, my blue pads still look fairly new even after a few uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerken View Post
                        Hi Lydia,
                        I used my right hand tin snips to cut the pads down and it worked great. Never thought about using a electric turkey knife but you are correct as I have also read that it is great for cutting foam.

Regarding the iBird I hear ya this is very expensive. I hope to buy one by the end of the year. Currently detailing is a hobby for me but I am debating about making this into a weekend business to earn some extra cash this summer.

Regarding Kevin Brown, I reached out to him about making 3" Meguiars pads as I know he makes his own smaller microfiber pads and I believe he cuts them down from Meguiars pads. Unfortunately never heard back from him.

From what I have read, and listened to on AMMO NYC's you tube and Pod Casts, Kevin Brown is the man and he is the master at developing specialty tools for special applications.
                        Tin snips? Not a bad idea either! Good to know because I don't have an electric turkey knife right now. I used one often to cut foam at a previous job. Yes, they're cheap, but sometimes hard to find. Tin snips are pretty easy to find.

How did you try to contact KB? I actually called him on the number listed on his website. I left him a voicemail and he called back within an hour. Super nice guy, and he spent a while explaining some things to me. From what I understand he helps a lot of people so perhaps your contact just fell through the cracks? He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to intentionally not contact someone back. I would try again if I were you. At the time I didn't realize how big he had become in the industry - I just remembered him from this forum and knew he knew a lot about machines. I called him with a few questions about my G100. He helped me with those, then referred me to some of Larry's podcasts.
                        Lydia's Mobile Detailing

Comment

Hi Lydia,
                          I tried texting Kevin, I will try giving him a call to see if he is planning on making 3" Meguiars MF Pads.

Comment

I just measured the bottom of an 11.3 oz coffee can (Walmart Columbian to be precise). It is exactly 4" in diameter. I believe one could center this on a 5" MF pad, press down and use an exacto or similar blade to cut precisely. This would result in 1" overlap as opposed to 1/2" overlap on OEM 3" pads.
                            I'll report back if I try this method. 😎
                            Last edited by Shootist; Apr 26, 2017, 08:58 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Originally posted by Killerken View Post
                              Hi Lydia,
                              I tried texting Kevin, I will try giving him a call to see if he is planning on making 3" Meguiars MF Pads.
                              He seems to have stopped cutting smaller pads since the Rupes iBrid Nano came out.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');