Bring back 3" MF Cutting & Polishing Disc - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bring back 3" MF Cutting & Polishing Disc

Re: Bring back 3" MF Cutting & Polishing Disc

Megs liquids work great with Rupes microfiber pads.

Those pads are how I was introduced to Rupes products. I used them on my PC. The yellow with UP was a great one step combo. UC on the blue offers ridiculous amounts of cut.

Be advised that if you use a pad conditioning, or similar bristle brush to clean the pads, the blue pad has a looped fiber that can be pulled out of the substrate if aggressively brushed.

Once I got the hang of it, my blue pads still look fairly new even after a few uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerken View Post
    Hi Lydia,
    I used my right hand tin snips to cut the pads down and it worked great. Never thought about using a electric turkey knife but you are correct as I have also read that it is great for cutting foam.

Regarding the iBird I hear ya this is very expensive. I hope to buy one by the end of the year. Currently detailing is a hobby for me but I am debating about making this into a weekend business to earn some extra cash this summer.

Regarding Kevin Brown, I reached out to him about making 3" Meguiars pads as I know he makes his own smaller microfiber pads and I believe he cuts them down from Meguiars pads. Unfortunately never heard back from him.

From what I have read, and listened to on AMMO NYC's you tube and Pod Casts, Kevin Brown is the man and he is the master at developing specialty tools for special applications.
    Tin snips? Not a bad idea either! Good to know because I don't have an electric turkey knife right now. I used one often to cut foam at a previous job. Yes, they're cheap, but sometimes hard to find. Tin snips are pretty easy to find.

How did you try to contact KB? I actually called him on the number listed on his website. I left him a voicemail and he called back within an hour. Super nice guy, and he spent a while explaining some things to me. From what I understand he helps a lot of people so perhaps your contact just fell through the cracks? He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to intentionally not contact someone back. I would try again if I were you. At the time I didn't realize how big he had become in the industry - I just remembered him from this forum and knew he knew a lot about machines. I called him with a few questions about my G100. He helped me with those, then referred me to some of Larry's podcasts.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Registered Member

Hi Lydia,
    I tried texting Kevin, I will try giving him a call to see if he is planning on making 3" Meguiars MF Pads.

I just measured the bottom of an 11.3 oz coffee can (Walmart Columbian to be precise). It is exactly 4" in diameter. I believe one could center this on a 5" MF pad, press down and use an exacto or similar blade to cut precisely. This would result in 1" overlap as opposed to 1/2" overlap on OEM 3" pads.
    I'll report back if I try this method. 😎
    Last edited by Shootist; Apr 26th, 2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: misspelling

Registered Member DasBurninator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerken View Post
    Hi Lydia,
    I tried texting Kevin, I will try giving him a call to see if he is planning on making 3" Meguiars MF Pads.
    He seems to have stopped cutting smaller pads since the Rupes iBrid Nano came out.

I heard a rumor from a source that shall remain unnamed that Meguiar's is bringing back the 3". Granted, it is just a rumor, but it was a reputable source also or else I'd never mention it. I've held off ordering some Lake Country for the time being in hopes that it's an accurate rumor. High hopes. Anybody else heard anything like that?

Shootist, sounds like an interesting idea - looking forward to hearing your results!
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information