• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice is Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice is Needed

Hi Guys,

I have done the full detail on my dark blue BMW E 60 . Here are the steps that I have performed:

1. Hand Washed with Meguiars Wash and Wax

2. Clayed the whole car with Sonax Clay Bar

3. Cleaned the paint with P21 S Shine enhancing Paintwork cleanser

4. Applied two coats of Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax. Second coat was applied after 24 hours

5. As a last step, applied one coat of P 21 S Carnauba Wax

O.k. That was a huge work and took around 3 days. Overall car looks great, but today I have noticed that there are some light scratches/light swirls and light water sports on some parts of the car (especially on hood) that are only visible in the sun. It made me totally disappointed, after such a hard work.

Now, I need your advice how to proceed. I am kind of perfectionist when it comes to my car, so would like to correct that swirls and scratches.

I have the following products: Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, P21 S paintwork Cleanser, Ultimate Paste Wax and P21 S Carnauba Wax and work by hand.

So, please, give me some recommendations on that

I will try to upload the photos, just to show the result of my 3 day work. Unfortunately, the swirls/scratches and water spots could not been seen in these photos, but just to show you the general condition of paint.

Re: Advice is Needed

Comment

My best guess is that the P21 just wasn't aggressive enough to completely handle all the defects you had. Obviously, it worked for most of the car, so you were close.
      Hoods are often the panel I choose when doing test spots to determine my pad and product choice, because the combination of a horizontal panel, influence of engine compartment heat and heading face-first into the elements usually means that any product/technique that works well on the hood will be just fine everywhere else. You've got everything you need at hand to fix it. No need to start all over. Just do some spot treatments on the areas and panels that need it. Inspect it closely and identify any areas that need more attention. Start with the Ultimate Polish and see if that gets you the desired results. If not, move up to the Ultimate compound for any spots that need it. Depending on the outcome, you may want to go over those areas again with the P21 or the UP to remove any possible hazing left by the UC. Then reapply your waxes to any areas you've disturbed.
      Let us know how it goes.

Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill...Just to clarify: If the UP works, would I still need to go over with P21 S or just wax? And, if I need UC, which will be better as a follow up product: UP or P 21s? It seems to me that P 21 S is a lot easier to apply and buff off, than UP

Thanks again !

And the last issue: There are some water spots on the hood...Will be the products that I have just mentioned, fine for removing them?

Comment

If the UP works for you, just go right to wax. If you need to go to UC, inspect the treated spots after treatment. Some paints have finished down well for me with UC, mainly GM harder clears, but some need another step. The only BMW I've spent time with was white and responded well to D151, so I've never tried anything stronger. Either the P21 or UP should work if you need a finish polish. Waterspots are tough to read, but follow the same process with a test of UP first and UC if needed.

Bill

BTW, I just checked your pics and your BMW looks pretty darn good!

Comment

Thanks Bill ! I will try as you advised...Will treat a part of the hood first...Will Post Before and After Pics

Comment

What about this product? I have discovered a bottle in my garage. Do you think it will be milder than UP?

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
              If the UP works for you, just go right to wax. If you need to go to UC, inspect the treated spots after treatment. Some paints have finished down well for me with UC, mainly GM harder clears, but some need another step. The only BMW I've spent time with was white and responded well to D151, so I've never tried anything stronger. Either the P21 or UP should work if you need a finish polish. Waterspots are tough to read, but follow the same process with a test of UP first and UC if needed.

Bill

BTW, I just checked your pics and your BMW looks pretty darn good!

Comment

O.k

I have tried a spot on the hood. First used UP...It definitely removed water spots and some of the swirls/scratches....Then went with UC...Frankly speaking, could not say that UC performed better than UP

Here are some pics...Most damaged area when inspected closely is the back part of the trunk, around emblem...tried with UC, UP...but did not see any significant improvement...

So, to conclude: I am more or less satisfied with UP as far as it made a part of the hood look better (removed water spots, some swirls/scratches)...As for the UC, I was expecting more...Maybe, I should compound first and than go with Polish to get better results? Just had not enough time to try....

Is there any product that will just fill into this microscratches, so they are no more visible? Maybe some color polish will work?

Or do I need I machine work done by professional? As I know UC and UP have far better results with machine polishers?

Generally, when in the shade car looks nice, but sun makes things not the way I like to be....

Comment

Deeper defects are harder to remove by hand. A machine would do a better job.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Giorgi12 View Post
                    What about this product? I have discovered a bottle in my garage. Do you think it will be milder than UP?

http://www.sonax.com/Products/Produc...x-2-Hybrid-NPT
                    Hey man. Let me know if Sonax did the trick. I want to try that product too.

Comment

Not great deal for removing swirls/scratches...So, I have switched to Sonax Polish and Wax Nano Pro Color (black)...It definitely performed better as far as it has filled into the micro scratches ...So, of course the scratches are still there, but at least they are less visible...

My conclusion is that it is very hard if not impossible to remove even fine scratches when working by hand, especially when it comes to dark colored paints...So, I think I will switch to machine polisher...

Originally posted by pengmalups View Post
                      Hey man. Let me know if Sonax did the trick. I want to try that product too.

Comment

Originally posted by Giorgi12 View Post
                        Not great deal for removing swirls/scratches...So, I have switched to Sonax Polish and Wax Nano Pro Color (black)...It definitely performed better as far as it has filled into the micro scratches ...So, of course the scratches are still there, but at least they are less visible...

My conclusion is that it is very hard if not impossible to remove even fine scratches when working by hand, especially when it comes to dark colored paints...So, I think I will switch to machine polisher...
                        thanks for the feedback man. too bad we don't have that product here in the Philippines.

Comment

Just a quick input here, if you want to use pre-wax product with fillers, a glaze or pure polish will help. Glazes/Pure Polishes should also add more depth (making your already shiny BMW better). Pure polishes would be Deep Crystal Pure Polish or M07 Show Car Glaze. These can be applied by hand with considerably less effort than UC or UP, but must be removed while wet, not to be allowed to dry to a haze. Used as directed, any of these will make your car's paint look richer and deeper, and make those micro-scratches less visible.

An additional step, but in my experience, definitely worth it.

Comment

Thank

Just a small questions: How it differs from ultimate polish?

Comment

And, one more: I have already purchased DA polisher. So, I will be working with machine. My plans are following:

Plan A

1. Wash

2. No claying as far as car was clayed 2 weeks ago and paint was cleaned with P21 S paintwork cleanser

3. Ultimate Polish

4. Ultimate Wax

5. P21 s carnauba wax

Plan B

Just the same, but if Ultimate polish will be ineffective in removing swirls, I thought to use UC before UP and than follow up with the same steps of waxing

So, here is my question: Where can I fit the Deep crystal polish in those plans?

For example, does it make sense to use DCP after UP?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');