• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car with Scratches from a Car Wash. D151 for Correction with Yellow Pad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car with Scratches from a Car Wash. D151 for Correction with Yellow Pad?

I recently picked up a 1999 Mercedes CLK430 that is Brilliant Silver Metallic. Interior is flawless, but the mileage is high and shows on the paint. Rock chips are mainly on the front bumper (which has small spider webbed paint by the foglight on the driver side). The paint overall has shine still and life. It was always garaged by the previous owner, but it was ran through the car wash numerous times. If you were to stand 10 feet from it, the car looks brand new. Stick it under florescent light and you can see all the swirls and scratches from a machine car wash agitator.

I have the following chemicals in my arsenal:

D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream
    Ultimate Compound
    Ultimate Polish
    Ultimate Liquid Wax
    M05 Show Car Glaze
    M105 Cutting Compound
    M205 Polishing Compound

Yellow Polishing Pad
    Black Finishing Pad
    G110v2 DA Polisher

I feel like I can use an AIO to address the scratches and swirls. I have seen some videos using D151 with a yellow pad on a speed of 4 for correction. I read on here that one person used a speed of 5. Not really comfortable on that speed. I figured I would try and use a speed of 4 and moderate pressure, with slow movement to see if that helps first.

Would I be wasting my time using D151 AIO first? Should I start with something more serious like M105 and M205?

Can I also top D151 with ULW should I decide to use the AIO route?

Thanks for reading.
    Andy

Re: New Car with Scratches from a Car Wash. D151 for Correction with Yellow Pad?

What are you trying to achieve? An AIO can only do so much. So it comes down to how much time you want to spend and how much correction you are looking to do. In saying that, the test spot is the way to start and adjust from there.

Yes you can top D151 with ULW if you wish to do so.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: New Car with Scratches from a Car Wash. D151 for Correction with Yellow Pad?

Pictures will help. My goal is to remove these swirls and scratches with D151 only if that is the proper tool to use with a yellow polishing pad.

First is the hood:

Second is the roof:

Andy

Comment

Give it a go with the test spot. D151 contains SMAT abrasives so the cut level can be changed depending on the pad used.

If you need more correction you can step up to a compound like ultimate compound.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

This is going to be fun to restore. Can't wait!!! :
          Andy

Comment

Post photos when you are all done so we can check it out as well. Good Luck.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');