• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first time detailing any input would be much appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time detailing any input would be much appreciated

hi everyone I'm new to this forum iv been reading a lot of threads i have a 2016 silverado its silver ice metallic iv been told silver is one of the most difficult colors to make shine the truck has 13k miles on it its only been through one northern new jersey winter. i did just clay bared the entire truck 2 days ago i have a 6 inch orbital buffer. I have meguiars professional mirror glaze show car shine polish #7 and the professional yellow wax #21 saturday is D-day when ill be polishing then waxing any suggestions and or tips would be extremely appreciated this is my first time using a orbital buffer and those 2 specific meguiars products

Re: first time detailing any input would be much appreciated

#7 is a glaze not a polish so it won't clean the paint. Since you've clayed the paint I'd use ultimate polish with a blue polishing pad then continue with the wax on a black finishing pad. Silver can shine very well if the paint is clean, and the metallic will glisten. You're on the right track. You'll have to be careful with an orbital buffer since it's your first time; if you can, get someone experienced to show you how to proceed properly so that you don't do more harm than good - swirls and holograms are common results with an orbital buffer if not used correctly. I've found a DA machine is safer.

Comment

the box says 6 inch polisher random orbital. i thought it was a buffer not a polish my mistake i do plan on getting the meguiars MT machine it seems like a great buy for 200 bucks

Comment

should i get a polish and then use the show car glaze #7 then the hi-tech yellow wax #26 ? unfortunately i have no funds at the moment for more tools for the polisher/bugger i have multiple micro-fiber bonnets for the polisher along with 2 foam and another one I'm not sure what it is but its a dull yellowish color with big fibers. i have a pic but i can't figure out how to post it

Comment

I would recommend ultimate polish over M7. Ultimate polish will polish and brighten up that paint. M7 is a glaze which will fill in defects temporarily.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

is the swirl free polish #82 or I'm assuming that only for swirl marks so stick to the ultimate polish

will it be better to use the ultimate polish then the #7 glaze then the wax ? i already have the #7 i have to go get the polish

Comment

Well the first question is what are you trying to achieve? Are you looking to clean up the paint and remove defects? If so ultimate polish would be the way to go. It is an abrasive polish. M82 is similar with the difference being that it is older technology in terms of using diminishing abrasives. Ultimate Polish uses new technology in non-diminishing abrasives often referred to as SMAT. Both will get the job done.

M7 is a glaze. It does not contain any abrasives. So it will not do any sort of defect removal. It is more beneficial for older single stage paints compared to modern day base coat/clear coat paints. It will still work on clear coat but it's doing mostly filling. It will be temporary as the defects will show up once again.

No need to follow up with M7 after using a polish like M82 or UP. The polishing oils in either of these two products is all that is really needed. M21 does look good on silver.

One good thing about silver paint is that it hides defects very well. So it comes down to what you want to achieve.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

as far as defects there was very few to begin with but i took care of them with the clay bar so i want to get the paint to shine and poop as much as possible the show car mirror wet look is what i want

Comment

Here's info on how to post a photo:

I've never been able to get the really wet look on my cars with silver & white paint. The closest is getting the metallic to sparkle in the paint & I'm satisfied with that look.

Comment

since i haven't opened the glaze #7 should i just return it ? i have to go back to the store and get polish anyway

Comment

Yeah I would.

Comment

now that i think of it the one pad i have looks like its wool idk though but i have 6 microfiber bonnets 2 yellow foam and 1 i think is wool its a really light yellow color I'm not sure witch to use for wax or polish

Comment

Originally posted by chris918 View Post
                          as far as defects there was very few to begin with but i took care of them with the clay bar so i want to get the paint to shine and poop as much as possible the show car mirror wet look is what i want
                          A clay bar removes above surface contaminants. A compound and polish removes below surface contaminants (swirls and scratches)

Originally posted by Joe Dragon View Post
                          Here's info on how to post a photo:

I've never been able to get the really wet look on my cars with silver & white paint. The closest is getting the metallic to sparkle in the paint & I'm satisfied with that look.
                          This is true. Polishing brightens up the paint on silver and white.

Originally posted by chris918 View Post
                          since i haven't opened the glaze #7 should i just return it ? i have to go back to the store and get polish anyway
                          I would as well.

By the way you should be able to upload photos into your gallery and add them into your post. Another option is hosting them on another site like photobucket.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                              A clay bar removes above surface contaminants. A compound and polish removes below surface contaminants (swirls and scratches)

This is true. Polishing brightens up the paint on silver and white.

I would as well.

By the way you should be able to upload photos into your gallery and add them into your post. Another option is hosting them on another site like photobucket.
                              im gonna go return the #7 and get the ultimate polish thanks for all your help i got the pic to upload of the pads i have. money is tight at the moment so this is what i have to work with but in a couple months ill be getting the megiuars MT orbital polisher/boffer i found it online for $195

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');