Wet sanded the plastic window of my soft top, now I can't get the scratches out.

Thread: Wet sanded the plastic window of my soft top, now I can't get the scratches out.

Registered Member

Wet sanded the plastic window of my soft top, now I can't get the scratches out.

I have a 2001 Honda S2000 with the rear plastic window. The window looks pretty terrible, super hazy and wrinkled. But, the rest of the top is in fantastic condition, and I can't justify replacing it just for the window.

Just as my luck would have it, a raccoon got into my garage and walked all over my car. Luckily, it didn't damage it much, but it did put some deep scratches into the plastic window.

I tried polishing them out with a DA polisher and PlastX, but it didn't touch them. They are fairly deep, so I didn't expect it to. I then wet-sanded the scratches with 1k, 2k, and then 3k paper until it was smooth.

After that, I loaded up more PlastX onto a LakeCountry (sorry Meguiar's! I was out of pads :S ) orange light cutting pad and tried polishing out the haziness that the 3k paper left behind. I got about 30-40% of it out, but you can still see the haze. I repeated this 3 times and it never improved from there.

What would you guys suggest I try next? I have most Meguiar's cutting/polishing compounds - Can I use M105 on the window? Should I buy another product? Appreciate any advice.

Re: Wet sanded the plastic window of my soft top, now I can't get the scratches out.

Have you tried Plast-X on a non-compounding pad, such as maybe just a foam or microfiber hand applicator pad?

Registered Member

Re: Wet sanded the plastic window of my soft top, now I can't get the scratches out.

Quote Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
    Have you tried Plast-X on a non-compounding pad, such as maybe just a foam or microfiber hand applicator pad?
    I.have.not,.do.you.think.that.would.help.if.a.cutting.pad.couldn't.do.anything?.For.some.reason.my.spacebar.isn't.working.on.here..sorry.about.that..Works.everywhere.else?

It could possibly help. Worth a shot at this point I'd think. A cutting pad is made from a more aggressive type of foam vs. a regular foam applicator pad, and more so than a MF applicator pad.

Thread Information