• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet sanded the plastic window of my soft top, now I can't get the scratches out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet sanded the plastic window of my soft top, now I can't get the scratches out.

I have a 2001 Honda S2000 with the rear plastic window. The window looks pretty terrible, super hazy and wrinkled. But, the rest of the top is in fantastic condition, and I can't justify replacing it just for the window.

Just as my luck would have it, a raccoon got into my garage and walked all over my car. Luckily, it didn't damage it much, but it did put some deep scratches into the plastic window.

I tried polishing them out with a DA polisher and PlastX, but it didn't touch them. They are fairly deep, so I didn't expect it to. I then wet-sanded the scratches with 1k, 2k, and then 3k paper until it was smooth.

After that, I loaded up more PlastX onto a LakeCountry (sorry Meguiar's! I was out of pads :S ) orange light cutting pad and tried polishing out the haziness that the 3k paper left behind. I got about 30-40% of it out, but you can still see the haze. I repeated this 3 times and it never improved from there.

What would you guys suggest I try next? I have most Meguiar's cutting/polishing compounds - Can I use M105 on the window? Should I buy another product? Appreciate any advice.

Re: Wet sanded the plastic window of my soft top, now I can't get the scratches out.

Have you tried Plast-X on a non-compounding pad, such as maybe just a foam or microfiber hand applicator pad?

Comment

Re: Wet sanded the plastic window of my soft top, now I can't get the scratches out.

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
      Have you tried Plast-X on a non-compounding pad, such as maybe just a foam or microfiber hand applicator pad?
      I.have.not,.do.you.think.that.would.help.if.a.cutting.pad.couldn't.do.anything?.For.some.reason.my.spacebar.isn't.working.on.here..sorry.about.that..Works.everywhere.else?

Comment

It could possibly help. Worth a shot at this point I'd think. A cutting pad is made from a more aggressive type of foam vs. a regular foam applicator pad, and more so than a MF applicator pad.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');