• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My experience on Autogeek's Competition Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience on Autogeek's Competition Ready

Thought I would share my experience as I joined a group of detailers on an episode of Competition Ready for season 2.

WARNING: This is going to be pic heavy and text heavy.

First off I would like to thank Mike for giving me the opportunity on a great experience and selecting me to represent the Autogeek family on an episode of Competition Ready Season 2.

Second of all I would like to say to all forum member is to be active. Show off your work even if it's just personal vehicles. Write product reviews such as I do as it helps the community. Chime in on conversations and most of all continue to educate yourself. You never know when an opportunity like this comes up.

It did not really hit me that it was going to happen until I actually got the call a couple days before the filming of the show and seeing the call sheet the following day. I was not nervous until I was driving to the secret location. But that faded away when Mike introduced himself and gave us a little pep talk on what we would be doing. It helped getting to speak to the fellow team members.

We were given the ok to take photos and share but not videos. So I took as many photos as I could.

The day started out by meeting with the camera crew and setting up. Us team members sat back and admired the vehicle and walked around the private collection prior to this. Bruce has a great collection.

Owner Bruce Meyer arriving discussing what his expectations are

Camera's rolling capturing the discussion on camera. Yancy doing his thing capturing photos.

Once the camera's stopped we proceeded in getting things set up for the next segment. Photos of the 1929 Bentley that we would be working on.

In the background from left to right (forum Member JustJesus, Rigo Santana, Mike Phillips)

First plan of attack was a waterless wash using Pinnacle waterless wash. We cleaned the exterior as well as the undercarriage. Here's JustJesus doing his thing

The engine bay was cleaned as well.

Once that was done we turned out attention to the fabric material on the side. It is actually referred to as rexine which is a form of imitation leather. The owner wanted it glossy. Mike did a couple test spots and it was decided to use Pinnacle protectant. It came out nice and Bruce was happy in the end. That is important.

Behind the scenes with Mike having AJ show how to prime the microfiber applicator

We ended up polishing the paint by hand and by machine. Didn't take any photos as we were under a time constraint. It was great working with Mike on those louvers. He can attest to what a pain in the rear end they were to do them by hand.

Final segment with Bruce coming in giving it a last once over basically saying how great it looked after all the work that was done to it.

Before I left I took a photo with the man himself. I like how you put it that you like to give your friends an equal opportunity. Was a pleasure meeting you, working with you and learning from you. From one Mike to another thank you again for the opportunity.

Also took one with AJ. For those that have met her they know how nice she is. Was very cool meeting her and working along side her. And yes she does get her hands dirty.

I could not go empty handed so I had both Mike and AJ sign my Competition Ready hat.

How can I forget Yancy. I think he was a little surprised that someone wanted to take a photo with him. Why not? He's the man behind the scenes. AJ photo bombed this one

I took this from the Competition Ready facebook page of the team. Shhh don't tell Yancy.

From left to right:

Johnny - He flew from Utah to participate. He's a super nice guy. He's a big guy too. Made me look small considering I am a big guy myself. Was great meeting him.

Jesus (aka JustJesus) - Was great meeting you.

Freddie (aka CruzCarWash) - Great meeting you too.

Mike Phillips

Bruce Meyer (Owner) - Real nice guy. Thanks to him for letting us work on this beauty. He has a great private collection.

AJ

Myself

Rigo - Another nice guy. Was great meeting him.

One person behind the scenes is producer Ashley. Very nice person. She took care of all of us and made us feel welcomed. Was great meeting her.

Overall a great experience. It was a great seeing all the hard work into making an episode. It was definitely an interesting experience. I was able to meet a lot of great people and work with some very talented individuals. I was also able to work on vehicle worth over a million dollars. Not many can say they have. I am glad I took part in this.

Thanks for looking and reading if you made it this far.

-Mike
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Re: My experience on Autogeek's Competition Ready

A few days later I dusted off the Competition Ready shirt and headed over to the to the Classic Auto Show. It was very cool seeing the car on display.

Funny story while I was there taking photos. My brother and I were standing right were it's roped off and it must have appeared that we were too close because the pit crew member came to us and told us we were to close and to not touch the car. I ended up telling him that I was on the team that had prepped the car for show lol. The look on this young guys face was priceless. It was pretty funny hearing that.

While I was there I stopped by the Autogeek/McKee's booth and once again snapped a photo with AJ as she was scheduled for meet and great session. We talked about how great her car came out and what a great job the competition ready team did on it on Friday's taping. Her Firebird looks fantastic.

She signed two things for me.

How awesome is it to have the ability to say they have worked with her.

99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Episode airs tonight, 5/12/2017 on Velocity at

Fridays at 7:30pm EST
      Saturdays at 2:00am EST
      Sundays at 9:30am EST

A couple more photos from the episode (See the following Link Competition Ready - Season 2 - Episode 4 - Bruce Meyer's 1929 Bentley - Classic Auto Show)

99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thank you Mike Phillips for the kind words.

99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

I look forward to seeing this episode!! Congratulations, a very nice opportunity, well deserved.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          David

Comment

What a fantastic post!!!!

Very happy that you were part of the team. You're reviews, input, and friendship are valued more than you know, Guz!

Comment

Originally posted by wifpd4 View Post
              I look forward to seeing this episode!! Congratulations, a very nice opportunity, well deserved.
              Thanks. It will eventually be available on youtube sometime in September on the Autogeek channel for those that don't have cable or satellite tv.

Originally posted by drumdan View Post
              What a fantastic post!!!!

Very happy that you were part of the team. You're reviews, input, and friendship are valued more than you know, Guz!
              Thanks. It was a great experience. Hopefully I get to do it again.

What I did find out today was that during the episode I had to do a double take. I noticed some familiar people in a couple scenes. Well it turns out the camera crew was filming at the auto show that Saturday with the car on display. I was there with some of my uncles and cousin besides my immediate family. I text a couple of photos to my uncles saying hey you guys made it on the show. One of my many uncles responded telling me that he had told the camera crew that his nephew worked on the car. He asked the camera crew if they should step aside so they could get better footage of the car. They said no and to stay there while they shot the scenes. Very cool of them to do so. My uncle was holding out on me. That sly dog lol.

Here they are checking it out.

99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Really, really cool Guz! Looks like a fantastic time.

Comment

You have a "nice TV presence", especially when going after the fabric. Thanks for sharing this backstage story. I've never understood why there's no four post lift nearby to work under those cars. Probably takes too long compared to asking folks to crawl underneath.

Hope you get invited again.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  David

Comment

Originally posted by RPPM View Post
                    Really, really cool Guz! Looks like a fantastic time.
                    Thanks. It really was fun. I hope to do it agai if I get the opportunity.

Originally posted by wifpd4 View Post
                    You have a "nice TV presence", especially when going after the fabric. Thanks for sharing this backstage story. I've never understood why there's no four post lift nearby to work under those cars. Probably takes too long compared to asking folks to crawl underneath.

Hope you get invited again.
                    Thanks for the kind words. I wan it nervous until I actually got on set so to speak lol. That is when it really hit me that this is happening.

I hope I get another opportunity to do another one in the future if the show is renewed for a third season.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Wow, way cool experience Mike!!! I haven't seen the episode, but have a few on the DVR I need to watch. Will be cool to see a someone that I know Your a Hollywood celebrity now, lol.
                      2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
                      2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
                      2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by exploreco View Post
                        Wow, way cool experience Mike!!! I haven't seen the episode, but have a few on the DVR I need to watch. Will be cool to see a someone that I know Your a Hollywood celebrity now, lol.
                        Lol. Season 2 has been great and the shows have gotten better.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Finally saw the episode. What a cool experience to work with some of the best in the biz. One thing I really like about the shows is he takes the time to explain "processes" for those that may not know what is being done or why it is being done. Very cool!
                          2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
                          2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
                          2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

Congratulations, Michael.

Great recognition of your passion, talent and hard work.
                            I'm totally jealous

Comment

Originally posted by exploreco View Post
                              Finally saw the episode. What a cool experience to work with some of the best in the biz. One thing I really like about the shows is he takes the time to explain "processes" for those that may not know what is being done or why it is being done. Very cool!
                              Yeah you described it perfectly as to who it is intended to. Working with Mike Phillips is great. He just has so much to pass along. Real down to earth and very cool person.

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
                              Congratulations, Michael.

Great recognition of your passion, talent and hard work.
                              I'm totally jealous
                              Thanks. No need to be jealous lol.

Fingers crossed for season 3.
                              99 Grand Prix
                              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');