• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very fine scratch removal tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very fine scratch removal tips

I have painted my mustang black single stage. Sprayed four fairly heavy coats. I have been using Wizards Turbo Cut followed by Wizards Finish Cut and then Wizards Shine Master. I started wet sanding with 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 trizact and ended with 5000 trizact. Knowing that this is black I wanted all scratches out. However, when getting a closeup and looking for scratches I still can see the 2500 grit scratches. I want to continue to take them out but fear of getting too thin of paint scares me. I have never used Meguiars buffing and polishing products so what do some of you experts recommend for these 2500 grit scratches. I doubt the average person will see them but I do so that's why I am bothered. Note, when wet sanded and just before buffing there is no visible evidence of any flaws. Once buffed and polished I can see the scratches and a few remaining orange peel depressions. Thanks for any advice.

Re: Very fine scratch removal tips

Sorry for the mis-leading thread name. It should of said that I was seeking tips. Too late to edit when I realized my mistake.

Comment

How are you wet sanding? By hand? Using a DA?
      What type of block are you using if by hand?
      If by DA, are you using a foam interfacing pad?

I would reach for M101 or M100 to take care of stuff in the 2500 range. Both are great and have excellent work times. The M101 is going to be more aggressive and meant for foam pads. (works great on a DA with MF pads though).

What machine and pads are you using for buffing?

Comment

Not trying to ask a silly question here but how did you determine the scratches you're seeing are 2500 grit over all the other grit sizes you have used?

Comment

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
          How are you wet sanding? By hand? Using a DA?
          What type of block are you using if by hand?
          If by DA, are you using a foam interfacing pad?

I would reach for M101 or M100 to take care of stuff in the 2500 range. Both are great and have excellent work times. The M101 is going to be more aggressive and meant for foam pads. (works great on a DA with MF pads though).

What machine and pads are you using for buffing?
          I am sanding by hand with a variety set of Durablock pcs.
          Presta black and white twist wool , black finishing pad, and a white polishing pad.
          DeWalt rotary.

As far as what grit I am still seeing I am assuming it's the 2500 grit as I work the 1500 grit one direction only then work the 2000 grit another direction only and finally the 2500 grit a different direction. Then Trizact 3000 the opposite direction and finishing up with Trizact 5000 in another. Before starting any buffing and polishing the paint looks like flawless glass. Once it starts to shine I can see the fine scratches that I am sure the Trizact did not leave. Thanks to all.

Comment

Originally posted by tgwise View Post
            I am sanding by hand with a variety set of Durablock pcs.
            Presta black and white twist wool , black finishing pad, and a white polishing pad.
            DeWalt rotary.

As far as what grit I am still seeing I am assuming it's the 2500 grit as I work the 1500 grit one direction only then work the 2000 grit another direction only and finally the 2500 grit a different direction. Then Trizact 3000 the opposite direction and finishing up with Trizact 5000 in another. Before starting any buffing and polishing the paint looks like flawless glass. Once it starts to shine I can see the fine scratches that I am sure the Trizact did not leave. Thanks to all.
            Are you letting your paper soak for 15 minutes or so before sanding?

I generally find sanding blocks can be more aggressive and tend to prefer using a DA where possible.

Are you sure the marks you see aren't from using a wool pad?

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');