• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting and Buffing after fresh paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting and Buffing after fresh paint job

Ok so I just recently painted the tins on my bike and now I am in the window to cut and buff. I have wet sanded everything starting from 1000 grit to 5000 grit by hand. I have a PC7424 polisher with a 5" BP. I only have 2 types of pads - Yellow DFP5 and Black DFF5. In the past I have used both pads and M205. My question is should I use another product between the 5000k sanding and M205? Currently at my disposal is M86, M3 and M205.

Re: Cutting and Buffing after fresh paint job

If M205 does not pull all the sanding marks then you have the option to follow up with a compound like ultimate compound and cutting pad. Possibly even a polishing pad.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

From your product list M86 Cut & Polish Cream will give you the most cut and it was designed for fresh paint.

You could also get Meguiar's microfiber discs, either cutting or extra-cut version, 5-inch diameter. It will further increase your cut level.

Comment

Well I ran out of day light so hopefully it looks good in the light! After wetsanding I used m205 with the yellow pad and then went over it with m205 and the black pad. I can still see some minor scratches and swirl marks, so I decided to go with the yellow pad and some m86(I was under the impression that m86 is for rotary and not my DA) I set my da setting to 5 and used the m86 then went back over it with m205 and the black pad. I can still make out a few swirl marks with a flashlight. I am thinking I will either need the m105 or UC with a cutting pad or try the yellow polishing pad.

Comment

I was under the impression that m86 is for rotary and not my DA
          You are absolutely right.

But three Guru Detailers, Master Kevin Brown, ex Meguiar's Jason Rose and Canadian Superstar Tim Lingor, gave me some great pointers on using M86 outside its main application (which is rotary/fresh paint). You could use Cut & Polish Cream with Meguiar's microfiber discs as well, you won't be disappointed, it's SMAT product.

From Kevin Brown Method (KBM):
          • M86 is bulletproof- it works well on virtually ANY type of paint.
          • M86 can occasionally outperform M105 in terms of defect removal and final finish.
          • M86 remains workable for a long period of time.

I am thinking I will either need the m105 or UC with a cutting pad or try the yellow polishing pad.
          Well, I still believe in M86/MF disc combo to do the trick, but M105 or UC would work as well.

Comment

Well I ended up picking up some UC today at Walmart and it's doing what I need it to do and I am happy with the results. I will say that my buddy's body shop swears by M86 but he does a lot of rotary work and that is just not something I am experienced in doing and my DA works for me. I really only get to paint something about every few years or detailing my cars.

Comment

M86 is great with microfiber pads!

I mostly use it with foam polishing pads as a one step Polish. It sits between M105 and M205 on the cut scale.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');