• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience comparing DA Microfiber 3" pads to 5 " pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience comparing DA Microfiber 3" pads to 5 " pads

The 3" DMC3 discs are in "out of stock" status at most dealer locations.
    I was lamenting not having them available for more aggressive correction if needed.

I then realized that the DMX5 Xtra Cut Microfiber discs might be a better alternative.

It would seem for spot repair the 3" Microfiber cutting disc might have an edge. It would be more agrgessive than the 5" cutting disks.
    However the 5" "Xtra" might be equal in aggressiveness and easier to handle on larger surfaces.

Does anyone have experienced thoughts using the two products for defect correction?

Re: Anyone have experience comparing DA Microfiber 3" pads to 5 " pads

FYI the 3" microfiber pads were discontinued some time ago. That is why they appear as out of stock. Unfortunately you would have to venture to another manufacturer that offers 3" microfiber pads.

The 3" pads work great for spot correction and areas where a 5" pad does not fit.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks Guz
      As an auto "enthusiast" I have used the Meguiar's Ultimate products for about 4 years.
      About a year ago, I decided to make an investment in tools to assist on my own personal cars.
      I read several online write ups on the DA Micro Fiber System and felt it is a good candidate for my next commuter vehicle and might work on my older classic.
      I agree with you that the 3" pads work better to get into those many smaller places on the smaller car.
      I also took the opportunity to attend a few presentations (online and in person) as well as watch some good detailers work on cars. I was impressed by their use of the DAMF 3" microfibre for difficult spot corrections.

About a year ago, I made what for an Enthusiast was a significant investment in DA, 5" DAMF starter kit and additional products.
      Shortly after I noticed the 3" pads were "out of stock" on this sites web store.
      Just last month, July 2017, I purchased the 3" backing plate, yet was unable to purchase the important 3" pads to enhance the usability for my DAMF System.

Guz, although I find your info to normally be accurate, I am hoping that rather than discontinued, the 3" pads are temporarily out of stock.
      Even today, we find them on the main Meguiar's site as a current product.

Additionally, they are still listed as an important part of the DAMF System on the Meguiars.com site.

As you have pointed out, the 3" add to the flexibility of the DAMF System.
      As a recent Enthusiast whose goal to select and upgrade to a set of tools to assist me, I did do research on Meguiar's site.
      I appreciate that DAMF System is considered a complete tool set for much of the paint correction work.
      The 3" pads allow me to leverage my new MT300, and allow me to begin advanced paint correction and minimize RIDS.

I am asking the Admins, if they feel there is a better place in the Forums to let these thoughts be heard by Marketing, that they please move this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
        Thanks Guz
        As an auto "enthusiast" I have used the Meguiar's Ultimate products for about 4 years.
        About a year ago, I decided to make an investment in tools to assist on my own personal cars.
        I read several online write ups on the DA Micro Fiber System and felt it is a good candidate for my next commuter vehicle and might work on my older classic.
        I agree with you that the 3" pads work better to get into those many smaller places on the smaller car.
        I also took the opportunity to attend a few presentations (online and in person) as well as watch some good detailers work on cars. I was impressed by their use of the DAMF 3" microfibre for difficult spot corrections.

About a year ago, I made what for an Enthusiast was a significant investment in DA, 5" DAMF starter kit and additional products.
        Shortly after I noticed the 3" pads were "out of stock" on this sites web store.
        Just last month, July 2017, I purchased the 3" backing plate, yet was unable to purchase the important 3" pads to enhance the usability for my DAMF System.

Guz, although I find your info to normally be accurate, I am hoping that rather than discontinued, the 3" pads are temporarily out of stock.
        Even today, we find them on the main Meguiar's site as a current product.

Additionally, they are still listed as an important part of the DAMF System on the Meguiars.com site.

As you have pointed out, the 3" add to the flexibility of the DAMF System.
        As a recent Enthusiast whose goal to select and upgrade to a set of tools to assist me, I did do research on Meguiar's site.
        I appreciate that DAMF System is considered a complete tool set for much of the paint correction work.
        The 3" pads allow me to leverage my new MT300, and allow me to begin advanced paint correction and minimize RIDS.

I am asking the Admins, if they feel there is a better place in the Forums to let these thoughts be heard by Marketing, that they please move this thread.
        Well sorry to be the bearer of bad news once again but they are indeed discontinued. I posted what Mike Stoops mentioned in the Meguiar's facebook group in this thread

I recently purchased the 3,5 and 6 inch Finishing Discs. Trying them this week once we do a few family day trips. Anyone know where the thread is that

Even Kevin Brown list them as discontinued.

By the way click on the buy online in the link you provided and it takes you to a blank page like this one.

The lake country microfiber, the new buff & shine uro-fiber and the griot's boss microfiber pads are very good alternatives.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

You could try Esoteric for custom 3" pads... http://www.esotericcarcare.com/3-meg...cs-custom-cut/
          Purple Towel Auto Detailing
          @purpletoweldetailing

Comment

Thank you PTD,
            I have booked mark that link and listened to their video.
            It sounds like they are die punching them from a 5 or 6 inch pad.
            That should provide an alternative. However it does raise the costs.
            I see that they make them 3" to exact match the backing plate they use.
            Since I don't have the skills they have in their shop or their professional detailers, I would feel more comfortable with the original 3 1/4". At my novice level, that extra 1/4 will allow me a little more comfort when getting a little closer to a body seam/line.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
              Thank you PTD,
              I have booked mark that link and listened to their video.
              It sounds like they are die punching them from a 5 or 6 inch pad.
              That should provide an alternative. However it does raise the costs.
              I see that they make them 3" to exact match the backing plate they use.
              Since I don't have the skills they have in their shop or their professional detailers, I would feel more comfortable with the original 3 1/4". At my novice level, that extra 1/4 will allow me a little more comfort when getting a little closer to a body seam/line.
              Where is Dan the pad man when we need him.

The Lake Country is 3 1/4. These are almost identical to the Meguiar's pads.

The Griot's Boss Microfiber looks pretty darn good on the 3" griot's mini polisher. By the way these don't matte down like the Meguiar's microfiber material.

99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thank you Guz
                I picked up a Lake Country 3.25" cutting disk.

In this presentation from about 3 years ago,
                On the AGO forumhttp://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/72906-new-meguiar-s-da-microfiber-correction-system-video.htmlVisit www.Autoge...

Mike Pennington and Jason Rose explain about the new smaller hook and loop design of the new series of DAMF pads.
                They explain how the hooks and loops have improved tuning to increase the side to side movement engagement of the pad to the backing. This change benefits the performance by transferring more of the power of the machine motion into work. Jason explains how this tuning is part of the new upgraded pads for the DAMF System.

Now, I can see some who are might read this are using the motion of lifting the imaginary fishing rod and cranking the imaginary reel. Followed by "Look at that. Our lures system just snagged another fisherman." However, I consider Jason a creative technician and believe there is can be value to the tuning on the new pads.
                Then again, I have also been known to be gullible.

So I will look through the house and see if I can find that old magnifying lupe for when we used to look at 35mm film strips. I will update later on what I see as I compare the new pad with the 5" DAMF pads attaching materials.

Comment

I found my darkroom lupe. With a really old set of eyes and 7 times magnification:

Work surface: I really could see no difference in the microfiber material. I did see about 3 to 4 times as many small black backing loop fibers on one sample than the other. With a small sample of 1 each, I will use that to remind me to brush out each pad before using.

Interface: The foam densities and rebound times are different.

Attachment layer: It seems to me that I see a small difference. The loops are more easily seen on the Maguiar's 5" sample than the 3.25 inch sample. However there were sections of both that looked almost identical. Oddly, you really notice the embossed logo and other info at 7 times magnification. Does that mean that there is less surface area for hook and loop for those with embossed lettering on the back.

Since this was not a "put them to work" comparison, I will say the Lake Country pad looks to be similar quality. Only by using two same sized 3.25 would I maybe be able to tell if the perceived backing loops are enough to make a difference.
                  In my environment both black backing materials were collecting white cat fur strands within 30 seconds.

I don't have a macro lens that would show that small loop difference on the backing.

Comment

I am back to this thread for two reasons.

First..... I am going up to one of The Guz posts and give him some "Recognition".
                    It's not a lot, yet it is recognition like an "Attaboy" or "Attagirl" to show appreciation for an informative answer.
                    TO do that , I will click the STAR icon under his post.

Comment

So now...... The Big Announcement.
                      NEW Announcement - 3" DA Microfiber Discs are BACK
                      Read more at http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...zJeBs7u7sky.99

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');