• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sand through question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand through question

I am fixing a large line of paint chips into the metal at the bottom of one of my doors on my car. I think they were caused by a car wash, as I remember going through it and hearing a loud metal noise on that side. I even remarked to my buddy in the car "what the hell was that?" Unfortunately, I didn't actually think to look and I noticed it several days later.

To be honest I was lazy and just sprayed over the whole area with matching paint and clear. I probably should have filled the chips with bondo first or used a chip kit, but I am more concerned with preventing rust and making it less noticeable, not so much with making it perfect.

Anyways, so I was wet sanding my clear. I thought I had sanded down through the clear layer, just because it started to have that halo effect that kept growing during polishing. But when I went to polish it polished up super glossy. My understanding is that you would be unable to get a super glossy finish if you have removed the clear. Is this correct? I also didn't seem to have any color on my rag.

Re: Sand through question

If the finish is still glossy, you have clear

So you just spray painted the chips in your paint?

Comment

Re: Sand through question

Correct. I lightly sanded the chips, shot a color match over the whole area, then topped that off with clear. Like I said I'm not particularly picky beyond preventing rust and I'm lazy. It actually looks decent, because its angled towards the ground you can't actually tell it's been damaged easily without knowing it's been hit.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');