• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiring a detailer VS doing yourself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring a detailer VS doing yourself.

What are the differences? Can a mobile or store detailer do that much of a better job than a regular fella? I personally have access to a hose and have purchased some of the Meguiar's professional line products. I feel like I'd be wasting my money by having a car wash detail my car or even clean the interior. I've watched several youtube videos on detailing and read forums. The way I see it, a detailer won't go out of his way to make sure that the vehicle is perfectly done. This makes sense, is not his car, so even though, he wants to provide a good service, is never the same. He won't be as careful as you would. He'd be using techniques and products that may not fit with your type of paint, wheel type, etc or he mainly wants cuts down on his job and time while leaving the car clean enough. In mobile detailing, is all about saving time and money.

They, obviously, have access to more powerful machines and equipment, but the products are the same that you could get online. Also, since is confidential, most of the time, you don't know what products they are actually using, especially for the interior. Some products may not be ideal for your interior, for leather, for synthetics, for the carpets, for the dash, the plastics, the glass, etc. I feel like if I take my car to be detailed to a car wash, they would half azz the job, especially when it comes to claying, polishing, and waxing. They'd probably use the cheapest wax they have and charge more for "more quality" waxes, that are not real quality.

They could put these annoying leather and dash "glossifiers" or shine, which is a pain in the butt to remove and leads to cracking. They could mess up something in the interior. I would only let them wet dry vacuum the car, because of the equipment they have, they'd probably do a better than job than you would at cleaning and shampooing the carpets, if they are really dirty, but if they are not, you don't really need that, maybe every 6 months shampoo and wet vacuum.

It depends on the detailer, some do very good jobs, but the majority, probably do not. They are mostly looking to get the vehicle clean as much as possible and move on quickly to the next client. For the average person, the job they can do, is more than enough and they are happy, but for people like us who are more picky and have more experience in this business, is not enough.

Re: Hiring a detailer VS doing yourself.

There is another option.
    Have an informed customer work with an information sharing detailer.
    This situation will not work for some owners, and will not work with some detailers.

Let's use a parallel.
    Before I have work done to my 47 year old historic vehicle, I research the available products.
    I selected my experienced mechanic because he listens to me as a I stutter and even when I get confused.
    He corrects me if I am off base, and we come to an agreement of what products will be used. We also agree on who will obtain the products.

Comment

Re: Hiring a detailer VS doing yourself.

Is all of that possible? Yes. It's also possible to find a detailer that will explain up front what they will be doing and for what price. That allows you to determine if you want to hire them. A detailer could spend 2 hours working on your car or 20 hours. If you are only going to pay them for 2 hours, they are only going to do 2 hours of work. Detailers don't work for free.

Sounds like your issue is that you don't want to pay a detailer for something you could do yourself. No issues there. However, it is possible to find a detailer that will do a good job for a fair wage. Paint correction requires several hundreds of dollars in equipment. It also requires a lot of hours of practice and know how. If you have this, I'd say do it yourself. If not, consider finding a _good_ detailer and discuss what you want done and the price.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');