• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gunk engine brite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunk engine brite

This question my be redundant but what do most of you use to clean an engine....Gunk engine brite or Purple power degreaser..

Re: Gunk engine brite

Staining happened when I cleaned my engine compartment with Purple Power.
    Others I know have mentioned similar difficulties.
    I still have some fogging on parts of my polished aluminum valve covers that I have not been able to polish bright.
    I moved it away from my detail products.

Directions on their bottle: 1) Test an out-of-site area to determine surface acceptance and colorfastness to avoid damaging surfaces, especially aluminum, painted surfaces and fabrics.

From my experience with it, I added a large hand printed label to my bottle. It reads:
    "Do Not Use Near Finished Metal"
    "Rinse Thoroughly"

"Not For Engine Use"

I marked other side of bottle:
    "Caution. Ruins Aluminum Finishes"

It likely will not be used a second time in my engine compartment. Possibly to clean the rear end or trans (not the aluminum trans pan). Maybe to clean parts before repainting them (not as a paint prep).

Comment

I should point out that unlike many 2017 engine compartments, the avatar to the left shows an engine having many aluminium components.
      Their warning is on the label. My extra labels are to get me to read them.

Comment

I'm driving a 2002 Rodeo I doubt there's any or alot of aluminum..so you'd say go with Engine brite

Comment

One of the worse things about Gunk is that the smell seems to last forever. Does it work-yea, but if you can get by using something much less 'potent' I'd try that first.

As said above, MANY 'engine cleaners' will attack anything aluminum, so use with caution.

I'll just add this, as someone who hates to work on a dirty engine I get by just using an APC once a year.

Bill

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');