• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate wash and wax dilution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate wash and wax dilution

What dilution do people use?

I know it says 1 ounce for 1 gallon of water. But thats pretty massive consider that you need like 1 ounce to 3 gallons of water with Mothers Wash and wax.

So what do people use? As it says on the bottle or some own mix.

Re: Ultimate wash and wax dilution

1oz per gallon.

Comment

So everyone experiment with everything except the schampo? Find it hard to believe everyone uses like what it says on the bottle. If so, there is no point in buying it, since you get out more washes of the Mothers wash & wax, only difference is that Mothers have Carnauba. It holds 64oz vs Meguiars 48oz and the price (here in Sweden) are the same for both.

Comment

The soap is what provides lubrication to prevent scratching while washing my cars. Personally, I'm not going to try and save a few cents each time I wash my car by not following the recommended dilution ratio. I'd also rather not have to spend more time and money to remove scratches and swirls that were created because I wanted to use less soap. As for price, it is what it is on our end. We have no control over it. I'll gladly spend more money for the Meguiar's product because I know it is a good product. If I was going for cost, I'd just buy the 100oz jug of Blue Coral soap for $3.88 vs. $9.30 for 48oz. of Ultimate Wash and Wax or $9 for 64oz. of Gold Class. I'm know I'm not speaking for everyone...that's just my $0.02.

Comment

Question is, how do you scratch your car while washing it? And you answered my question without knowing it. So the amount of soap is only for lubrication.

I rinse my car thoroughly with high pressure wash. Really take the time to get all of that loose dirt off. Am no fan of a neither a grit guard or two buckets, beacuse if you need that, you need to rinse your car more carefully before washing it.
          I used 2 oz in 3 gallons of water, but that felt like too much. Didnt really feel like i was washing, more like smear some oil over the paint. So i'll try to go down to 1oz of 3 gallons of water instead =)

Comment

How? Many, many ways to scratch it while washing. It'd probably be easier to say you decrease your chances by following the basics such as using a clean wash mitt and using the proper amount of soap. You can also add extras for a reduced chance of inducing scratches or swirls like the two bucket method with grit guards and using a QD as a drying aid with a good quality drying towel. Do you need two buckets or grit guards? No. It's simply extra to help reduce the chance of damaging the paint.

It sounds like you might enjoy Hyper Wash. It's like $20-$25 for a 128oz, but you only need 1oz of it for every 3-5 gallons of water. It isn't a fancy car shampoo, but it'll get the job done and last a long time without using a lot of product every wash.

Comment

Water has an encapsulating effect (that is how rinseless or waterless washes are possible...generally speaking as it is much more complicated then that scientifically). Because the water encapsulate dirt, those dirt particles are carried across the paint surface. Car soap adds lubrication or a protective barrier between the water and the surface to reduce friction and micro-marring from dirt gliding/scrating/grinding into the painted surface. If using a bucket method to wash, it is recommended to use 2 or 3 buckets (the 3rd specifically for wheels) with grit guards in both with a dedicated rinse and wash bucket. This ensures that the dirt/grime collected as you glide your wash media and washing device across the surface can be rinsed out and trapped with the grit guards. Dunking the mit into the soapy water restarts that process with a clean surface. Proper washing techniques are vital to ensure that your car does not end up getting swirls and "love" marks.

I agree with "roushstage2" that soap should be used as directed and not diluted. If you want to dilute, use a concentrated soap like Meg's Hyperwash (D110) or Meg's Rinse Free Wash and Wax (D115). For Meg's Rinse Free Wash and Wax I dilute to the recommended 256:1 (using DI water) and pre-soak MF towels with a gamma seal lid. I pre-soak the car with the same dilution ratio like I was using waterless wash system and fold my towels into 4. Using 1 fold of the towel per panel with a Meg's modified gary dean method of washing, I can wash the car with 3 towels (2 for wash totally 8 sides and 1 for drying)

Theoretically, depending on how hard your water is, you can use less soap for the same lubrication properties with cleaner water. Over generalized, 1 gallon of DI water with 1 oz of Ultimate Wash will allow give the same lubrication properties as 1 gallon of water (with say approx. 400ppm) and 3 oz of soap.

Comment

Originally posted by twisty roads View Post
                Water has an encapsulating effect (that is how rinseless or waterless washes are possible...generally speaking as it is much more complicated then that scientifically). Because the water encapsulate dirt, those dirt particles are carried across the paint surface. Car soap adds lubrication or a protective barrier between the water and the surface to reduce friction and micro-marring from dirt gliding/scrating/grinding into the painted surface. If using a bucket method to wash, it is recommended to use 2 or 3 buckets (the 3rd specifically for wheels) with grit guards in both with a dedicated rinse and wash bucket. This ensures that the dirt/grime collected as you glide your wash media and washing device across the surface can be rinsed out and trapped with the grit guards. Dunking the mit into the soapy water restarts that process with a clean surface. Proper washing techniques are vital to ensure that your car does not end up getting swirls and "love" marks.

I agree with "roushstage2" that soap should be used as directed and not diluted. If you want to dilute, use a concentrated soap like Meg's Hyperwash (D110) or Meg's Rinse Free Wash and Wax (D115). For Meg's Rinse Free Wash and Wax I dilute to the recommended 256:1 (using DI water) and pre-soak MF towels with a gamma seal lid. I pre-soak the car with the same dilution ratio like I was using waterless wash system and fold my towels into 4. Using 1 fold of the towel per panel with a Meg's modified gary dean method of washing, I can wash the car with 3 towels (2 for wash totally 8 sides and 1 for drying)

Theoretically, depending on how hard your water is, you can use less soap for the same lubrication properties with cleaner water. Over generalized, 1 gallon of DI water with 1 oz of Ultimate Wash will allow give the same lubrication properties as 1 gallon of water (with say approx. 400ppm) and 3 oz of soap.

Good points! I take it as it differ quite in washing a car in US vs Sweden. As i said, here it says if you need 2 buckets, you havn't rinsed down your car enough before washing it. I hardly doubt there is some stubborn dirt on the paint (Clay/UC/UP/ULW/UFF). We dont have any heavy pollution. I guess i choosed the wrong word for my question, i should have used "mix ratio" (schampo/water). However i liked the idea of Hyper wash, i'll have a look into it (after the Meguiars and Mothers bottles are empty)

This is the water qulity in Sweden. Its consider "soft water". Guess after all, i'll use 1,5 oz for 2,1 gallon of water =)

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');