• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite Detail Tools under $1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are your favorite Detail Tools under $1

Thank you for all for adding your ideas.

Learning about Products and more importantly about Techniques.

You have web access, since you are reading this bulletin board.
    For a 50 cent small bag of popcorn, you can put one of your best friends between you and the computer screen to learn about technique from some very knowledgeable individuals.

Not everyone on youtube has invested enough time to share good techniques.
    I will encourage watching those videos that are done by people who have invested time in the industry. Here are some examples.

Online Bulletin Boards and Technique Videos. (Not ranked by preference, take advantage of learning from each)
    ** Mike Phillips Director of Training at AutoGeek.net
    http://www.autogeek.net/mike-phillip...FYYCaQod2YIMKQ

** Meguiar's Online : Go to Forums.
    http://www.meguiarsonline.com

** Larry at Ammo NYC detailing
    Example: Cleaning Microfiber Towels
    This is a longer video discussing: 1) What to look for in a particular MF towel 2) How to wash/dry your towels 3) How to organize your towels once they are ...

** Junkman (Junkman2000, AJ, Sarge). These can be a little long. Sarge's history has included helping keep our young military personnel safer by "Telling then what he is going to tell them. Telling them. Then telling them what he told them". He wants us to remember.
    So, for these, you might need a larger bag of popcorn.

Comment

If you have indoor cats, you know that you and the cats like their letter fresh.
      I occasionally find these 42 lb buckets containing litter on sale. As long as the cats like the litter, we like sales.

The 47 year old El Camino only gets waterless washes.

I use these for my 2 bucket washes on my Honda daily driver. One for the washing product mix, and a second one to very frequently rinse the high quality wash mitt out. Never put the wash mitt back into the product bucket without rinsing it first.

I am still trying to figure out how to build a dirt guard. It looks like I can cut down the tops, cut lots of small holes and set them on something raising the guard a few inches. One idea is to set them on three 2 inch tall sections of 2 inch drain pipe.

Obviously, wash the insides thoroughly before and between uses. You don't want the clay getting into your wash mitts and causing scratches in the paint.

As shown below, I have 3 white buckets. The third bucket has the washing supplies for the daily driver. I can quickly grab the two lower buckets and the top bucket which holds the supplies.

These buckets are also very useful when working on your car. You can take the parts off and put them into a bucket and then separate later. If they are dirty, you are not getting all flat surfaces in the garage dirty with greasy parts. The bucket tends to keep the parts together for the remove/replace project.

I use more of these buckets when I pull weeds. For small sweep up jobs, you can collect leaves and debree to carry to the big green recycle containers.

For those of you without cats, see if a neighbor can keep a few for you to help in recycling/re-use.

Comment

Dollar store has those dishwashing sponges on a handle . Great on door jambs and hard to get places on engine.

Comment

I know. This is not actually a $ tool, it is a modification.
          I have difficulty finding the dark black wrench to hold the nut when changing pads on the MT300.
          Eventually, I figure out I must have set down on a black surface.

I took a toothpick and inserted it into an existing bottle of silver paint that I was using to mark backing plates.
          I then drug it 3 times on each side of the wrench adding stripes to make it much more easily found.

Will I lose it again and have to search? Probably, yet I will now likely find it quicker.

Comment

Here is a different approach on the MT300 tool that can be hard to see on a black tool tray.

With this one, I took a Meguiar's sticker and wrapped the tool.
            Now I can find it easier when looking for it. This also reminds me to store it with my Meguiar's MT300 dual action polisher, should I later find the tool out of the box.

Comment

wow, thats super, I liked so many ideas about detailing

Comment

I find these small clear plastic containers to be useful.
                They keep stuff clean and semi organized.
                In addition to detailing tools, they are useful for household and automotive screws, bolts, nuts and holding things like loose tea bags.
                I also find them useful in the family and the pet's first aid kits, to keep products fresh and prevent damage.

So were do I find them before reuse?

The larger ones I find with drink mix packets, like Crystal Light or the more square, less opaque are Kroger packets.
                Since these have dyes in the mixes, make sure to rinse thoroughly before use.
                I like that a sharpie can label the sides and the lid of the container making things easier to find.

Comment

Thanks for the great tips Old Bear, just bought some tupperware for my towels. It was getting super messy.

I'm so paranoid getting my towels dirty that I clean the washing machine before I run the towels!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');