• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultmate Paste Wax: 2 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultmate Paste Wax: 2 questions

Hello,
    I have been using Ultimate Paste Wax on my Transit Van and I have two questions:

1) How thick should I apply the paste? I am using it as if it is a Carnuba type of wax and wonder if I am applying it more thickly than is useful. The reason I ask is that it seems like there isn't much left on the car after I polish the wax out and I am surprised at how quickly I have emptied the canister of paste wax.

2) Do multiple applications of Ultimate Paste Wax build up and provide extra protection? I am asking if this is chemically possible, or if the ThinFilm technology prevents the product form being built into a thicker layer.

My primary interest is in waxing the van in preparation for it encountering lots of dirt and grime out on the road. I am not so much interested in deep shine show car appearance but rather interested in preparing the car so that it is easy to wash and lift road grime cleanly.

Thank you.

Re: Ultmate Paste Wax: 2 questions

A thin coat is all that is needed. No need to apply it thick. Let it set up for a few minutes and then lightly buff. Repeat around the entire car and enjoy the results.

A second coat will ensure even coverage.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thank you for the info about applying the Ultimate paste Wax.

I have done multiple coats on the front of the vehicle and just a single coat on the sides. The results seem very good but remarkably similar when comparing the multi coating to the single application, which is why I have been wondering if the ThinFilm product is even capable of sticking to itself or if I am just wiping most of the second coat away.

Thank you.

Comment

As The Guz mentions "A second coat will ensure even coverage."

It will let you cover any small portions you might have missed on the first application.

Comment

Yes, I can appreciate that idea.

Thank you.

I am wondering if the ThinFilm technology product is even capable of sticking to itself, or if the ThinFilm hardens into a solid polymer coating with a molecule that will not let any more of the semi solid product adhere to it.

It seems like Carnuba Wax can be built into a thick coating that is ideal for serving as a undercoat for road grime that eases the subsequent lifting of the the dirt with a
          surfactant.

I am wondering if I am using the ideal product for my interest, which is a long term periodic regimen of protecting the paint from the hazards of washing it.

The Ultimate Paste Wax is easy to apply. It looks great. I appreciate how it doesn't fog my glass or haze my plastic trim when I slip a small amount where it should not be. I am however, second guessing it's ability to built into a sacrificial layer for the interest I have.

I am hoping that someone at Meguiar's will know the answer to the question about whether the ThinFilm product can actually be built into a thick surface coating.

Thank you!

Comment

FWIW, I think I found an answer:

Originally posted by Michael Stoops View Post
            ...we don't buy into the concept of layering in the sense of creating an ever increasing film build through multiple applications of a wax or sealant. Our recommendation is to apply two thin coats just to ensure uniform coverage and appearance. Beyond that, we don't believe you'll gain anything in appearance or protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Original Equipment View Post
              Interesting, thanks for posting what you found.
              I was going to say, I waited 24 hours to apply my second coat, to let the first coat "cure". Not sure if that was necessary or not. I read somewhere that it can take 12-24 hours to cure, and the reason why I waited 24 hours was because it was most convenient for me.
              mujjuman

Comment

can we use ultimate paste wax twice a week on new car after car wash. Due to construction my area is dusty

Comment

Originally posted by Adnan View Post
                  can we use ultimate paste wax twice a week on new car after car wash. Due to construction my area is dusty
                  You could always just use something like ultimate quik wax or D156. No need to use the paste wax that often.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

I am surprised at how quickly I have emptied the canister of paste wax.
                    Your can should last a long time. You need to apply the wax whisper thin, apply every six months, then the can should last years.
                    Paul Marmarinos
                    Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
                    "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

Another issue with thick layers, is that the products are formulated to work in conjunction with air to dry. This allows the product to "set up" on the paint. A thick layer will take forever, if ever to dry. This leaves the wrong chemistry on the pain after wipe off, because we essentially wipe off wet product.

A thin layer can set up properly on the finish, especially essential for polymers that need time for crosslinking to occur. This will deliver maximum durability from the product.

I had a friend who used to use a half a bottle of Gold Class on his car when we were kids.. Recently we were tending to his truck. "Really, that's it??" Was the comment from him, when he saw how little product was going on the pad. It was hilarious! He said: "I always wondered why it was so hard to get off the car..."

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');