• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bimmerforums.com at Meguiar's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JETninja
    Jworms, your pics require a network password.....
    sorry, all fixed now.

Comment

When it came time for the hands-on training portion of the class, we looked for the worst looking finish among the cars available and picked Randy's BMW because it had lots of swirls and scratches throughout the finish. Randy was a good sport about it and let everyone help him restore his car's finish.

First thing we did was to wipe the car down with Meguiar's Quik Detailer to remove any light dust and airborne contaminants.

Then everyone joined in and clayed his car's finish using Meguiar's Quik Clay System.

Here's Randy claying a rear pillar...

Here his friends help to make quick work out of claying the entire car!

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

ok here's the estoril pictures. i put them in the gallery:

Comment

After cleaning and claying the finish, because it was fairly overcast this day, we used the handheld Xenon light to highlight and expose the swirls and scratches so everyone could see the true condition of the finish.

Then, we taped off three sections,
          • The Original before section
            After ScratchX by Hand
            After the G100 with M80 Speed Glaze

First we applied three application of ScratchX and worked this product against the finish until it turned clear an oily looking, but we stopped working it before the product was completely gone. After each application we would remove the residue before applying the next application.

After applying ScratchX we applied Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish. We worked this product in gently and then removed it without waiting for it to dry.

When applying these products, (ScratchX, Deep Crystal Polish and then NXT Tech Wax Paste), we applied the product to the applicator pad first and then applied the pad to the finish just like you see below.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Great pictures Mike, keep em coming.

Originally posted by jworms1
            ok here's the estoril pictures. i put them in the gallery:
            http://www.meguiarsonline.com/galler...00&ppuser=3808
            Please email all of them in full res to moneydudes@aol.com If that is possible. Thanks.

Comment

After demonstrating how to properly apply a paint cleaner like ScratchX by hand, we then learned the proper techniques for using the G100 Dual Action Polisher to remove swirls.

The below photo shows the scratch and swirl reduction by hand using ScratchX.

The below photos show the swirls before in the untouched upper left hand corner, then the section we used ScratchX on the upper right hand corner, and the bottom section which we machine cleaned with the G100.

If these pictures look impressive using the flash of the camera, you should have seen the results in person like these guys were able to...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

After inspecting the results, we drove the car back into the garage and while Eric, aka HamandCheese, removed some of the more serious defects using a Makita rotary buffer with some M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish while others tried their hand on the hood and others areas using Meguiar's G100 dual action polisher.

[/IMG]

After the defects were removed, Randy applied a coat of NXT Tech Wax in the paste version and then removed it to reveal a finish more beautiful than when he first purchased it!

[IMG]http://archive.meguiarsonline.com
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Finished

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    After inspecting the results, we drove the car back into the garage and while Eric, aka HamandCheese, removed some of the more serious defects using a Makita rotary buffer with some M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish while others tried their hand on the hood and others areas using Meguiar's G100 dual action polisher.
                    Great work!

Now I could really go for the seat that HamandCheese is using.
                    Looks like it might be good for the back........I could store lunch under it too.
                    Last edited by rusty bumper; Jun 13, 2005, 08:01 PM.
                    r. b.

Comment

Thanks for the great clinic Mike. Im sorry I had to leave early. I wanted to ask you about cleaning the polished aluminum lip on wheels. I have some of the nxt metal polish, and whats the proper way to do it. I've been rubbing it on, and rubbing it off. Is that right? Thanks!

Comment

geez that ti looked (looks) great!

today i noticed light swirl marks in my paint on my estoril M3 coupe. i am determined to get that show car shine now and with the knowledge i took from that class i should have no problem.

Originally posted by Mr X
                        Great pictures Mike, keep em coming.

Please email all of them in full res to moneydudes@aol.com If that is possible. Thanks.
                        emailed you

Comment

It's hamanncheese. But certainly a play on words. My girlfriend Melissa aka "clayingmachine" made that up for me! For those of you who don't know, Hamann is a german bmw tuner that IMHO makes one of the nicest rims ever (pg2)!

And yes, the stool works really well when doing vertical panels. It really helps out my back, and plus you can keep your products + beer right underneath you!
                          Detail enthusiast from bimmerforums.com
                          machines: Porter Cable 7336 DA and 7428 rotary
                          Favorite products: Meguiars: #83, #80, NXT techwax, All-metal restorer. Other brands: 1Z PP, S100 wax, Stoner Invisible Glass, Klasse AIO.

Comment

Pics from SAT's clinic!

Meguiar's Detailing Guru Mike Phillips (he sorta looks like a bike cop in this pic hahaha)

Mike demonstrates how to remove swirls marks with the G-100 Porter Cable Orbital buffer w/ #80 speed glaze.

What the heck is this? Jk...it's Dan Wang's Smart Car

Everyone working on Randy's 318ti

Demonstration on how to remove swirls with ScratchX by hand (ScratchX how to article)

Mike shows everyone how to properly use the PC orbital buffer

Estoril's Galore (I have pics in 2272 x 1704 as well)
                            Favorite products: Meguiars: #83, #80, NXT techwax, All-metal restorer. Other brands: 1Z PP, S100 wax, Stoner Invisible Glass, Klasse AIO.

Comment

Randy,

You have been properly Meguiarzed!

Fantastic reflection shot, mike!

Comment

hamanncheese, may I know at what speed you were running the rotary? How long it took you for that panel? Thx.

zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');