• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rock Chips Touch Up Gone Horribly Wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Chips Touch Up Gone Horribly Wrong!

I bought a 2005 Cadillac CTS for my daughter.

Unfortunately it had tree sap all over it! Nothing would take it off (Tar and Bug, WD40, compound, etc.). So, I wet sanded, expecting to use some M105 and then fine polish to finish it up. But when I got done wet sanding, I noticed a million paint chips! Don't know if the sap took the paint with it or if they were there and couldn't be noticed with all the dirt and tree sap. Either way, I had a large amount of paint chips. So, I decided to get some touch up paint. After calling every parts store, no one had any touch up paint for 964L Red Tint Coat (my car's paint code). And a paint store told me they couldn't give me a touch up version because it was a 3-stage Pearl-coat. Some parts stores looked up my car and said their system called for Dupli-Color 946 Cobalt Red (touch up pen). So I wondered if the wording mattered? Was 946 an after-market version of 964L? I don't know the paint-world! So I went to Dupli-Color's Website and when putting in my car's info, it pulled up the 946 but called it Red Tint Coat. So, I thought, "Great, I'm on it!" I drove across town in the rain to the one store in town who actually had it in stock, Pep-Boys!

After wet-sanding and prepping; I applied the touch up paint with their horrible brush. It didn't look right. Like a different color red. I hoped it would dry darker, but it didn't. I applied more coats... no better. Applied a clear coat... no better.

So, I decided I would sand it all off and order the actual 964L online. Upon sanding off the Pen's paint it took it down past the paint and into the primer or to almost bear in several spots. So I had a mess on my hands. Having already ordered a bottle. I figured I'd need a spray. So I ordered the spray can as well.

When the bottle arrived, I used an art brush with a fine point. It touched up the chips somewhat well. But it still wasn't the exact same color. But I tried not to worry too much about that. The main problem is those bear spots. I tried dotting it those areas, just to see what would happen. But it was just a mess. And Wet sanding it smooth just took it off anyway.

Spray can arrives. There's a Match-Card with it, with instructions to spray half the card. Until you can't see the writing. I sprayed it and it again, looked way too bright and way too light. So I sprayed and 4 to 6 coats. Really 3 coats; but with like 5 passes each. Anyway, it didn't cover the writing at all and still looked to light a red.

So, I called the company and they said, I had to spray until I couldn't see the writing. I sprayed like 10-12 times and it got way darker obviously with that many coats. But you can still see the writing some. But somewhere in there, it got a hint closer to the car's color. Maybe a tad darker.

So I thought I could try it on my car; but stop a few coats before the 10-12 on the card. So I'm at like 6-7 coats now and the actual bear spots don't look quite up to color yet. And the over spray is almost brown. I'm almost out of paint and don't know what to do? I keep trying to spray just the spots as close as I can without runs. But this is ridiculous!

I have been emailing the company along the way with what was going on. They have decided to send me a new can and a red primer. I am assuming that means I have to sand it back down and start over?

Re: Rock Chips Touch Up Gone Horribly Wrong!

Does anyone think this could be wet-sanded? Like just try to take off the brown and try not to take any off the actual bear spots that are covered?

Comment

Looks like you are at the point of needing a repaint on the entire hood.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

I think that's where I'm heading too. However, I might as well try to wet-sand the darker over spray off and see what happens. One question is, how long should I wait before sanding? I know typically you'd wait until it cures; but since I want to get all that brown off anyway, would sanding early make it easier? Or would it just gum up? Then again, maybe I should wait so that it's more workable since it may still blend?

All along, in the back of my mind I've thought, Worse-Comes-to-Worse I will have to paint the whole Hood. Which is what any body shop would recommend anyway. So, I've wasted about $58 and a lot of hours slaving away for nothing but experience. At least I now know everything NOT to do! And since they're sending me some primer and another can of paint, I really only wasted $28.

But one thing has always confused me. When to apply clear-coat? Watching videos, people spray the base-coat and then spray the clear-coat and then sand. But shouldn't you sand first? Like here, if I sprayed clear-coat right now, I'd just be sanding it all off anyway. Right?

Comment

my car (Subaru STi) is World Rally Blue Pearl...there are about 14 different shades of WRB pearl because of how the pearl is mixed/layed out. 2 stage paints can be matched relatively easily but tri-coats are an absolute nightmare. My father in laws car (2014 Tahoe LTZ) is Crystal White Pearl. The paint the dealer gave him which was matched by his VIN looks grey when we tried to blend to the oem paint.

In regards to your question about when to sand....sand after each step. Sand after primer is shot, sand after base coat, and sand after clear. You want to sand in a cross hatch pattern to minimize gouges and sanding marks. If your set up is good, you can get away with just sanding after the final clear but that doesn't happen for me. You also want to sand into the surrounding color that wasn't removed if you are just spot shooting. Using a spray can wont yield good results because the atomization of the paint is to thick to be layed down thin or evenly.

You will also want to spray with 50% overlapping passes. You want to start spraying before the panel or before the spot and will want to continue until you have passed the panel entirely while keeping your distance from the panel as similar as possible. Keep your fan as large as possible without introducing thinning areas or runs. Here is a tutorial:

Tips on painting, setting up a paint gun and spraying a car with an HVLP paint gun from Kevin Tetz (Trucks!)Get a Concours Here: http://www.eastwood.com/eas...

*I am by no means a professional and am continuing to learn myself as this is a hobby for me. But I like making things look professional, from my daughter's 18v power wheel to her dance stage in our house. If I didn't have a 60-gallon air tank with lines where all I needed was a gun and paint, I would just pay someone to do it. It will take the better part of a weekend or 2 depending on temperature, humidity, washing the floor down, mixing paint, sanding, curing, and time you have to dedicate

Comment

See, I was thinking maybe you should wet-sand in-between base coat and clear coat, especially if you have any runs or imperfections. I guess the question is, if you do wet-sand your base-coat you will be paying down those fine scratches. Will the Clear Coat fill those scratches and they won't be noticed? Or, will the Clear Coat seal those scratches in, where you can't sand them out, because they're covered up?

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');